MG4 Air-con & Under tray update

Mine sounds just the same as the OP's, the way the system is gassed should be standard, but who knows, as I say you may have struck lucky by the sound of things... no pun intended !

Add us to this problem. New Trophy 2 weeks old. Silent at first and during last 2 weeks noise started and is increasing. Youtube vid is what we hear. For dealer now.

If you're interested, why not start a poll asking about people's experiences. Absolutely silent, unobtrusive, unalarming noise, or sounds like a kid on a bike who has attached plastic flaps to the forks that rub against the spokes.
I believe similar polls have already taken place. I also fail to see what that would achieve as the two issues this post is concerned with are widely known and experienced, What I and others are driving towards is having these issues resolved by MG under warranty. If you or anyone else are not experiencing these issues then fine, you needn't concern yourselves. Unfortunately due to your recent posts which I feel are often unnecessarily eristic, I have taken no pleasure in placing your account on ignore. All my own view.

I believe similar polls have already taken place. I also fail to see what that would achieve as the two issues this post is concerned with are widely known and experienced, What I and others are driving towards is having these issues resolved by MG under warranty. If you or anyone else are not experiencing these issues then fine, you needn't concern yourselves. Unfortunately due to your recent posts which I feel are often unnecessarily eristic, I have taken no pleasure in placing your account on ignore. All my own view.

Thank you for expanding my vocabulary.

I had no intention of offending you by my suggestion of a poll, or indeed by anything else I said, I merely thought that getting some numbers would be interesting. My primary objective is also to get MG to resolve these and other issues, under warranty where appropriate. I would have thought we were on exactly the same page there. But hey ho.

I'm still unsure about whether I should be concerned about the level of noise that I'm hearing from the aircon in my car. I would indeed be interested to know the split in the forum between those who think the sound they hear is normal and those who think it is abnormal, and if indeed there are cars which make no sound at all (either before or after regassing).

Thank you for expanding my vocabulary.

I had no intention of offending you by my suggestion of a poll, or indeed by anything else I said, I merely thought that getting some numbers would be interesting. My primary objective is also to get MG to resolve these and other issues, under warranty where appropriate. I would have thought we were on exactly the same page there. But hey ho.

I'm still unsure about whether I should be concerned about the level of noise that I'm hearing from the aircon in my car. I would indeed be interested to know the split in the forum between those who think the sound they hear is normal and those who think it is abnormal, and if indeed there are cars which make no sound at all (either before or after regassing).
I have the noise, sounds to me that lubricant is not getting to the necessary parts. I have worked on pumps and compressors most of my life, they will get into difficulties if they try the , sounds ok response. Will see what happens next week, it’s due for the r46 update

I'm actually tempted to start the poll. It was a serious suggestion because I'm genuinely interested in the answer. My objective here aligns perfectly with PristDean's. But since he seems to have taken offence at my suggestion of a poll, it would perhaps be unnecessarily eristic.

I have the noise, sounds to me that lubricant is not getting to the necessary parts. I have worked on pumps and compressors most of my life, they will get into difficulties if they try the , sounds ok response. Will see what happens next week, it’s due for the r46 update
Interesting, a lot of talk about the lubricant used in the gas, it feels to me that they have used PAG 45 instead of PAG 100 which has a higher viscosity. Another thought is the internal fan in the pump catching. My dealer wants to replace my entire pump but I am concerned we will end up back at square 1 if they do.

Would using the wrong lubricant result in steady worsening of the noise people are hearing, due to the main moving parts not being lubricated properly?
There have been so many production line faults that it seems quite probably to me that the wrong lubricant may have been added to a batch of cars.

All interesting reading on the noisy AC front.

The previous spot of reading I've done into modern AC pumps is ambiguous at best - some OEM manufacturers suggest that oil is already present in the pump, others that it needs adding prior to AC coolant fill-up in the system.

What is clear is that both the correct type and quantity of oil is critical to running of the system.

Without casting dispersion on the quality control etc I can see it being very ad-hoc as to if the tiny amounts of oil required are actually being filled and in-line with the OEMs processes.

Whilst variable output pumping systems found in ICE cars utilising swash plate system are not require in electrically driven AC pumps (you can just increase the pump speed to meet load required) it does still need lubricant.

I can hear mine in the car with the windows up around town at times - it's annoying in a new car.

Still waiting on a dealer response from an email from over a week ago as they failed to address the state of the sills and the NSR door card manufacturing defect.

All interesting reading on the noisy AC front.

The previous spot of reading I've done into modern AC pumps is ambiguous at best - some OEM manufacturers suggest that oil is already present in the pump, others that it needs adding prior to AC coolant fill-up in the system.

What is clear is that both the correct type and quantity of oil is critical to running of the system.

Without casting dispersion on the quality control etc I can see it being very ad-hoc as to if the tiny amounts of oil required are actually being filled and in-line with the OEMs processes.

Whilst variable output pumping systems found in ICE cars utilising swash plate system are not require in electrically driven AC pumps (you can just increase the pump speed to meet load required) it does still need lubricant.

I can hear mine in the car with the windows up around town at times - it's annoying in a new car.

Still waiting on a dealer response from an email from over a week ago as they failed to address the state of the sills and the NSR door card manufacturing defect.
It sounds like metal on metal rather than wrong lubricant, a bit of a clang about it. We would always do a replacement rather than wait for a failure. But in this case sounds like a bad batch or poor design…. Or someone’s left the red caps in again 🤨

It sounds like metal on metal rather than wrong lubricant, a bit of a clang about it. We would always do a replacement rather than wait for a failure. But in this case sounds like a bad batch or poor design…. Or someone’s left the red caps in again 🤨
To my ear (25 years as an aircraft mechanical technician) it's definitely a metal on metal contact and isn't something that should be apparent in a pumping system!

The 'chirp' I get isn't correct regardless of what MG might be pedaling and the 'they all do that' argument doesn't mean 'they all should do that'.

The R and D team clearly invested some time and effort into reducing noise and vibration from the AC pumping system - it's on a big tray sat on rubber blocks. To then have it produce an absolute racket in operation makes no sense.

Looking at pictures of the Mahle unit, the noise I hear on that video seems far too thin to be coming from the actual AC pump.

To my ear (25 years as an aircraft mechanical technician) it's definitely a metal on metal contact and isn't something that should be apparent in a pumping system!

The 'chirp' I get isn't correct regardless of what MG might be pedaling and the 'they all do that' argument doesn't mean 'they all should do that'.

The R and D team clearly invested some time and effort into reducing noise and vibration from the AC pumping system - it's on a big tray sat on rubber blocks. To then have it produce an absolute racket in operation makes no sense.
Yep agree, spent quite a time at Fulton testing hydraulic power units for the American navy. They were testing the last Concorde. Had a good look around it and tried to persuade them to drop us of in Edinburgh, not sure why they wouldn’t 🤔

Here's an observation, I found this morning:
If you have your car plugged into a charger and activate AC, the pump does not activate. It remains silent. I set it to 25 degrees and Lo, pump did not engage.
As soon I disconnected the charger so the main battery came back online, the pump engaged along with the knocking / clicking.

This begs the question, if you have car plugged in and try to cool the cabin using the HVAC via iSmart.... how effective is it ?

If you have your car plugged in but it is NOT charging, the app goes doolally and you can't get it to work. That's all I know. I have heard that there's a software fix for this but my dealer didn't seem to know anything about it. Just said they couldn't check it because the car was bound to my phone and my phone was in my pocket 20 miles away while they had the car.

Is anyone experiencing a crackling noise when turning on the heater or ac? Occurs at all fan speeds. MG4 Trophy delivered today noticed the sound this evening when demisting the windscreen. Will make a recording tomorrow and share.
A8C9FD99-4451-4F16-9879-9462F398AC55.jpeg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 545 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel