MG4 Air-con & Under tray update

PristDean

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Okay, so after travelling afar to put my car in with a reputable dealer, along with my independent engineers report, they have called me just now to explain:

1. The noisy air-con is due to a faulty fan in the system which needs to be replaced. They have put it to MG as the cost far exceeds their threshold for parts !
2. They confirmed the under tray is warped and a replacement part is on order.

I collect the car tomorrow, but right now it all seems promising.

That's very promising.

My dealer said that the aircon wasn't faulty, and that so long as it couldn't be heard inside the car there was nothing to worry about. They said that there was no soundproofing on the fan itself so it would be heard outside the car, although not loudly, but inside the car the car's own soundproofing should take care of it. That accords with my own experience - I wouldn't have regarded the sound as alarming if it hadn't been for people on the forum talking about noisy aircon - so I'm content to leave it, knowing that they now have a record that I reported it as a possible issue.

My dealer told me that they have re-fitted the undertray to correct the problem. I am not 100% convinced by the body language here, but it's been so wet that I haven't actually crawled under the car to check yet.

I'm awaiting your experience with a replacement part to decide what to do if in fact it still isn't right, or the problem recurs. At least they have acknowledged that it's not a normal feature of the car. They said that they hadn't had any communication from MG about the undertray.

I do have other dealers within reach, but the one I bought the car from is only 23 miles away and so far I think they're sincere enough in their desire to help.

When I collect the car tomorrow i'll also collect more information on the air-con fan fault from them. I'll feedback as that may be relevant to the noise others are experiencing, easily heard inside the car.

If this does all come through for me, I will also post information so that others can ensure they do not get 'fobbed off' by a less than repeatable dealer.

After spending what we all have, at the very least we all deserve a fault free car.

Absolutely. I'm OK about the aircon noise so long as there isn't a fault. But others have clearly been experiencing excessive noise which does indicate a fault.

Indeed, but there appears to be things at play here. One is the oil type used, PAG 45, when PAG 100 should be used. This has cleared the noise for some and would cost approx £150 to fix.

The other of course is the fan as identified in my case, apparently far more costly. I'll dig further on this tomorrow.

I suspect you may be right, but at the moment the noise I have is not bothering me and I don't feel like hassling the dealer to fix something that isn't bothering me. If it deteriorates to the point that it does create a problem, at least I have flagged the issue up to them.

My fan seems to be OK, I hope you get yours sorted.

Okay, so I collected my car and.... I spoke with the front desk staff who were very helpful. But as I wanted a more technical detail they fetched the technician for me.

The technician explained that he took video of the noisy compressor and sent to MG to obtain approval to replace the whole thing. As expected, he read out MG's response which he said "Doesn't make sense", they told him it was normal and asked if he had compared to other cars (now I wonder who that was :rolleyes: ). He responded and pushed them as it should not heard inside the car and is not normal.

The technician went on to explain he was reluctant to change the AC oil as it may cause issues and invalidate the warranty. I can see his point and explained the compatibility with PAG 45, PAG 100 and R-1234yf but he wants MG's 'Ok' on it (here we go!). He understood and was great to talk to, let's see how this progresses and how MG responds.

The under tray is on order and I will be booked back in when it arrives. He also pushed my infotainment to R33, I've yet to play with it but not noticed any ill effects on the journey home.

The front desk lady gave me her work email address, so that will help going forwards. All in all MG Bayliss Gloucester seems like a great dealer to work with.

Okay, so I collected my car and.... I spoke with the front desk staff who were very helpful. But as I wanted a more technical detail they fetched the technician for me.

The technician explained that he took video of the noisy compressor and sent to MG to obtain approval to replace the whole thing. As expected, he read out MG's response which he said "Doesn't make sense", they told him it was normal and asked if he had compared to other cars (now I wonder who that was :rolleyes: ). He responded and pushed them as it should not heard inside the car and is not normal.

The technician went on to explain he was reluctant to change the AC oil as it may cause issues and invalidate the warranty. I can see his point and explained the compatibility with PAG 45, PAG 100 and R-1234yf but he wants MG's 'Ok' on it (here we go!). He understood and was great to talk to, let's see how this progresses and how MG responds.

The under tray is on order and I will be booked back in when it arrives. He also pushed my infotainment to R33, I've yet to play with it but not noticed any ill effects on the journey home.

The front desk lady gave me her work email address, so that will help going forwards. All in all MG Bayliss Gloucester seems like a great dealer to work with

Awesome happy you seem to be getting somewhere with MG, this dealership seem to be a good one.

R33? Do you have the trophy?

Okay, so after travelling afar to put my car in with a reputable dealer, along with my independent engineers report, they have called me just now to explain:

1. The noisy air-con is due to a faulty fan in the system which needs to be replaced. They have put it to MG as the cost far exceeds their threshold for parts !
2. They confirmed the under tray is warped and a replacement part is on order.

I collect the car tomorrow, but right now it all seems promising.
Hi there. I may have the same problem as you with a faulty fan. I have just posted this thread MG4 EV (air con / fan problem) noise - If your fault was / is similar, may I know what was replaced, so that I can let my MG dealership know, so that they can order the parts before we take it back in. I had my air con replaced (Long story with air con being available, but during repairs, the seals required to refit it, not being available, (backorder for potentially several months, but other non original found to get me on the road)). I was told that their was no oil in the air con unit, but still believe it’s fan related due to the noise it makes, depending on the speed (temperature), I put the air con at. Hence the You Tube video I created that has apparently been sent to MG in China for further review. It may be a different issue, so I apologise if it is. I witnessed the same noise on five MG4 EV’s I looked at when at the dealership.

HI, the oil is in with the gas used. The gas is known as r1234yf and can use PAG 45 or 100 oil. The latter has a higher viscosity so lubricates better and hence quietens the pump.

I collected my car from the dealer today (my car sounds just like yours) who raised my issue with MG directly who are less than helpful. This is interesting to me as the technician at my dealership wants to replace my unit, but as yours made no difference, I suspect the oil change is the thing that does the trick.

The problem really looks like the pump they have used is filled with r1234yf and PAG 45 on all cars. PAG 100 seems to be the way to fix this.

HI, the oil is in with the gas used. The gas is known as r1234yf and can use PAG 45 or 100 oil. The latter has a higher viscosity so lubricates better and hence quietens the pump.

I collected my car from the dealer today (my car sounds just like yours) who raised my issue with MG directly who are less than helpful. This is interesting to me as the technician at my dealership wants to replace my unit, but as yours made no difference, I suspect the oil change is the thing that does the trick.

The problem really looks like the pump they have used is filled with r1234yf and PAG 45 on all cars. PAG 100 seems to be the way to fix this.

If the change in oil does fix this I’d be tempted just pay for it rather than chase MG which is just futile

If the change in oil does fix this I’d be tempted just pay for it rather than chase MG which is just futile

I'm doubtful. I've just listened to our new member's recording in the other thread, and it is spectacularly worse than my car. Mine is only producing a polite little warble you'd hardly notice. If they all have the same oil, why are some OK and others sounding like the trump of doom?

I'm doubtful. I've just listened to our new member's recording in the other thread, and it is spectacularly worse than my car. Mine is only producing a polite little warble you'd hardly notice. If they all have the same oil, why are some OK and others sounding like the trump of doom?
You sound like a lucky one in a thousand then

Depends on what people are prepared to put up with on a new car.

No, seriously, I just listened to that recording and there is no comparison. I can't hear anything inside my car, and outside it's not loud enough to draw my attention to it. I didn't notice it at all until I'd had the car for a little while, and when I did my reaction was "what's that noise? is it coming from that junction box across the road?" Then when I switched the car off, and the noise stopped, I realised it was something in the car. But it didn't cause me a second's anxiety until people on the forum started talking about a noisy aircon.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back