Almost decision time... and decision made!!!

StackH

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
* Decision made, see post #77 *

So, big decision to make. My orange Trophy is likely to arrive in the next couple of weeks, and I'm not sure I want it.

I mean, I do want it, very much. But I don't want the risk and hassle that potentially goes with it.

Oil leak (maybe), bulging undertray (almost certainly), no scheduled charging (almost certainly), potential seat issues (hopefully not), incorrect temperature sensor (maybe), unable to pre-heat when plugged in (almost certainly), TPMS warnings (maybe), driver fatigue warning (maybe, hopefully the sensor has been removed otherwise almost certainly), etc., etc., etc.

And the ultimate will-it-won't-it worry about being locked in the car despite having the key. I'm not a small guy, and the thought of climbing through the back seats and out the boot fills me with a sense of dread and laughter all at the same time.

My current car needs a service and MOT in January, so delaying will mean unwanted expense and more depreciation as it goes over 4 years old. But I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I should just cancel and wait 6 months to see if/when the issues have been satisfactorily resolved.

Bit of a pointless post really, but just wanted to get it off my chest.

Last edited:
So, big decision to make. My orange Trophy is likely to arrive in the next couple of weeks, and I'm not sure I want it.

I mean, I do want it, very much. But I don't want the risk and hassle that potentially goes with it.

Oil leak (maybe), bulging undertray (almost certainly), no scheduled charging (almost certainly), potential seat issues (hopefully not), incorrect temperature sensor (maybe), unable to pre-heat when plugged in (almost certainly), TPMS warnings (maybe), driver fatigue warning (maybe, hopefully the sensor has been removed otherwise almost certainly), etc., etc., etc.

And the ultimate will-it-won't-it worry about being locked in the car despite having the key. I'm not a small guy, and the thought of climbing through the back seats and out the boot fills me with a sense of dread and laughter all at the same time.

My current car needs a service and MOT in January, so delaying will mean unwanted expense and more depreciation as it goes over 4 years old. But I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I should just cancel and wait 6 months to see if/when the issues have been satisfactorily resolved.

I think a lot of us are thinking the same but the chances are your one is from the new batch so the oil leak should have been fixed before you get it, the under tray apparently is being redesigned, the scheduled charging can be controlled by the wall charger, only been one person on here with the seat problem, TPMS doesn't seem to be a problem apart from some of the first batch and the driver fatigue infer-red monitor has been removed.

I'm worried about being locked in too and I'm 6ft 2in with rheumatoid arthritis so the chance of me getting out the back is questionable. But to put it in perspective only 2 or 3 cases have been posted on here or Facebook and it doesn't seem to be a replicable problem. I'm thinking it's either a spent battery in the key fob or a bad earth on the 12v battery.

You have answered your own question on the last line. I have been on quite a few EV forums for several years and some of these issues above and worse ones I have seen across Evs even the likes of Tesla etc.

If you wont be happy with your decision don't bother, lots were said about MG ZS EV when it landed originally, it came with it own teething and buyers have had both good and bad experiences with the decisions. I know people who have had terrible experiences with Teslas and other Big names same as with any other ICE cars etc.

I am getting an SR in 5 days coming from a 5 series which gave me 450miles on a full tank but happy to accept 150m on the SR in winter but I have accepted that and I hope to enjoy the car unless the car decides otherwise.

I understand these thoughts, we have also been reconsidering. However, starting with another car involves not only a huge wait but uncertainty about what the issues with that will be. Knowing the issues is comforting in one way and although some are alarming, MG does appear to be doing some fixes relatively quickly. So we are going to stay with the devil we know.

As I posted elsewhere, I cancelled my MG4 order for some of the reasons in the OP, however I am a gen1 ZS EV driver and was about to say I'm therefore used to issues, but to be fair most of mine were sorted by collection time so it might be the same for the MG4. The only remaining issue on my ZS is the steering click - still waiting for parts (if they can send over boatloads of cars, you'd think a few steering column assemblies would fit too!).

I could just do without the hassle of having to go back to a dealer to get fixes applied. Personally, I'm going to see what happens in the next few months and go from there.

I feel sympathy for you. If the ownership experience is going to bring worry then don't do it. You don't have to give up on the dream, just delay it for a while until things have settled (which they will).

Schedule charging works fine for me via the app, mostly…
It did start charging as soon as I plugged in the other night, but as soon as I switched it off it reverted back to the schedule fine.
All the other stuff, yeah….that…hmmmm
I’m still far from 100% I’m keeping the car.
In monetary terms the best option is keeping it, in sanity terms…not so sure.

I've got the Trophy, and although it's got issues, there is a fix for the oil leak and further software updates will hopefully iron out/improve the other issues. It's a brilliant car to drive and I think it represents good value for money compared to anything else on the market. Ultimately I don't regret trading it in for my Nissan Leaf and I feel more positive than negative about it.

Not pointless, in my view. My guess is many will be thinking along the same lines. For us, our plan was to get our first EV ASAP after our solar is installed but reading about all the problems on here has us thinking about cancelling our order/waiting 'til later in2023 and perhaps reordering the 77kwh version if things have settled down by then.

Ask your dealer to put back your order by 3 months then make a decision
That's what I did. I cancelled my possibly Dec/Jan delivery and asked for spring/summer as was thinking that might give then time to sort out teething issues.

Even then I still am filled with a sense of dread. Your post about your size filling you with dread and laughter made me laugh. I also have that sense of dread at being locked in, and I'm a small guy nimble enough to get from drivers seat to boot. The dread of being locked in at night and crawling through a dark back seat with my 3 year old and possibly missus in car gets me everytime lol.

At the moment, with all the tech in the car it seems the decision factor is the money due to its cost because it appears some of the tech we've been sold on in getting the car don't work right for some people at least. I hope they are less than 5% which is probably likely but being on such a forum you generally hear about things going wrong and not the ones without any issues so it seems amplified as everyday someone might talk about a new issue they experienced or someone else did.

Oil leak sorted.
Undertray being sorted
Key Fob replace with Duracell battery.

You must do what makes you feel comfortable. All the main issues will be resolved in the end and of course you have the 7 year warranty.
I think the experience of driving an EV vehicle needs to be considered. I love my TCLR and drive whenever I can find an excuse - last weeks fuel bill was £4.80. With Solar/battery being installed soon, becoming virtually self sufficient is also part of the EV feel good factor.

Hang on, I missed something - someone got locked inside the car somehow?
There's unlock buttons on the drivers door inside - don't they work?

Hang on, I missed something - someone got locked inside the car somehow?
There's unlock buttons on the drivers door inside - don't they work?
Read this thread for info

That's quite some list.
If you're the type of personality which worries about this sort of potential stuff, before it's happened (that isn't a negative, as we're all wired different ways and I'm in that camp too), and going by the frequency that most of the potential issues you raised crop up, it could be major source of grief. But agree it's one of those almost impossible, and almost unfair, decisions to make.
Good luck and best wishes in whichever road you eventually choose. I'm sure you'll make the right one based on YOUR feelings and analysis. Bearing in mind though, as another poster mentioned, and you also suggested, not getting it don't mean never getting it, as I'm sure most if not all of the issues will be resolved once the Earth has gone about half way around the sun.

I have to say I share all of the concerns here -I drove the MG4 LR and thought it was brilliant to drive -handling, power delivery and most of all comfy ride (many other EV‘s have lumpy rides in comparison) -so I am deciding between an Ioniq 5 77KW and a long range Trophy -have ordered both (no financial commitment on the Ioniq 5 ) and will decide when I get notification of which is going to turn up first. It is the first EV I wanted to keep driving bar the i3 which I owned before. Also its not an SUV thankfully

Those are two hugely different cars - the Ioniq is about 30% more expensive than the MG and considerably larger.
But sometimes the options and decisions are not necessarily linear though. The options might just be a consequence of likes and personality.

For instance I'm considering 2 cars totally different, one is a compact/crossover suv and the other a hatch like MG4. Happy with either.

But I see the 2 main deciding factors as peace of mind and cost ranking in that order.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back