Andersen charge points, User experiences please, any good?

Hi all,
First post here as got a new MG4 Trophy arriving soon.
I am fortunate to have a driveway and need to get a charge point put in.

The one that stands out for me is the Andersen as I like the minimal look and neat stowing of the charging cable even if it is pricey.
Has anyone got one using it with their MG EV and can give me their opinion of it in use please?

Thank you in advance,

Cliff
Hi. I have had an Andersen charger for over 2 years. It’s very well made, has been pretty reliable and the app is simple to use and set scheduled charges. Since buying it I have installed solar & batteries but it is unable to integrate with these in the way that a Zappi does. Hopefully the company that is now in control will make further developments?

Hi. I have had an Andersen charger for over 2 years. It’s very well made, has been pretty reliable and the app is simple to use and set scheduled charges. Since buying it I have installed solar & batteries but it is unable to integrate with these in the way that a Zappi does. Hopefully the company that is now in control will make further developments?
With the current Andersen chargers, it looks like you can pay extra to have solar integration. I would be nice if such a useful feature was just included as standard but hey ho!

I have a Hypervolt which IMV looks far better than the Zappi not least because of the cable stowage. Solar integration is essential for me, so those two and Andersen were the only choices when I bought about 18 months ago.

Hi all,

The one that stands out for me is the Andersen as I like the minimal look and neat stowing of the charging cable even if it is pricey.
Has anyone got one using it with their MG EV and can give me their opinion of it in use please?

Thank you in advance,

Cliff
I have one and I love it! It’s so simple to use and it looks great! The fitters are just lovely too and found an easy way to route the cables despite my house being really old and not easy. My only gripe was that it took ages to get it installed cos there was a huge queue. Hopefully that is no longer the case.

We have an EO Smarthome charger which does basic integration with PV but is not anything I'd recommend now, primarily due to the dreadful app and limited functionality. Ohme appear to be the only brand that Octopus, OVO (and Eon?) are all willing to integrate with for smart tariffs. I'd be very wary of going with a company that's just been bailed out. The odds of them still being around providing support a year from now are pretty shaky.

Zappi will definitely still be here. Shame it looks like a toilet seat

Hi all,

Thank you in advance,

Cliff
I have an EO charger which has worked well since installed over three years ago.
I’m with EDF at 13.43 per kWh night and 54.7 day time. However night is 9.00pm til 7.00 am every day and all week end from 9 Fri til 7 Monday. Solar panels help as I generally charge during week ends.

There are some really nice ones about. I was considering getting the OVO tariff which is 10p anytime but they don't seem to be compatible with Solar which I was hoping to use and get a Zappi. But its a bit contradictory as one of their approved ones, the Indra Smart Pro also has solar integration. Not sure why. I could decide to go Hypervolt but then not sure if it will work well with their EV tariff. I'm not too fussed about the solar for now as I have only a small system. 1.3kwh generation and I hear the optimal minimum for EV charging is 1.4.
Though I've heard Zappi can trickle feed lower to car. A bit confused.
Not sure if posting in right place but any advice.
Anyone familiar with OVO ev tariff?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the tariffs over the next few months as the price cap ends at the end of June and the price of gas comes down. Will more suppliers have EV tariffs?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the tariffs over the next few months as the price cap ends at the end of June and the price of gas comes down. Will more suppliers have EV tariffs?
You're right. I wasn't even thinking of that. Well lower fuel cost always welcome. It will certainly pay for itself in savings over 3 years

I was reading a piece from Martin Lewis a few days ago, and he was suggesting that some of the energy companies had been making noises about looking at a small number of fixed tariffs being available again in the near future.
Likely after around June time do we think ?.

Hi all,

Thank you in advance,

Cliff
Hi HC,
i have an Anderson, I wanted something that looked neat on the side of the house, had the cable but hidden, it winds up inside which keeps the cable clean with the brushes that clean the cable as you wind/unwind it and for me being able to have it with an 8m cable sold it.
i have had no problems whatsoever and the company that fitted it for me have said they can integrate it with solar and battery storage either with the Anderson add on or a separate unit they have which is slightly cheaper.

yes it is more expensive than some but for me it wasn’t all about the price it was how it looked on the side of my house too, I have had no problems with it at all.

Hi all,

Thank you in advance,

Cliff
No exp of Andersen but for 2+ years my PodPoint has been faultless.

I have a Rolec and it's completely fine, the app is also good. The newer ones have PEN fault protection built in.
DIY install is not recommended for any make as you need to inform your DNO (Distribution Network Operator) when one is installed. So be warned.

Hi, I have an Andersen too, which I’ve had for over four years - which was updated to the latest hardware. I know it was pricey but being able to choose the colour of it to match my windows and doors won it over for me. My experience of it concurs with others mentioned already and I’m pleased with it.
Been using it successfully with my i3s, still waiting to get my Trophy model though.

We have an EO Smarthome charger which does basic integration with PV but is not anything I'd recommend now, primarily due to the dreadful app and limited functionality. Ohme appear to be the only brand that Octopus, OVO (and Eon?) are all willing to integrate with for smart tariffs. I'd be very wary of going with a company that's just been bailed out. The odds of them still being around providing support a year from now are pretty shaky.

Zappi will definitely still be here. Shame it looks like a toilet seat
I've read elsewhere that Octopus will add the Zappi to their "intelligent" tariff in the next few weeks.

I was reading a piece from Martin Lewis a few days ago, and he was suggesting that some of the energy companies had been making noises about looking at a small number of fixed tariffs being available again in the near future.
Likely after around June time do we think ?.
Yeah I saw that. OVO launched a fixed tariff for £2,250 few days ago. £250 less than the EPG of £2500. Probably not the best of deals with prices probably going to drop to closer to £2000 by 3rd quarter.

I'm not too fussed about the solar for now as I have only a small system. 1.3kwh generation and I hear the optimal minimum for EV charging is 1.4.
Though I've heard Zappi can trickle feed lower to car. A bit confused.
Not sure if posting in right place but any advice.
The minimum allowable charge rate is 1.4kW; that's a national standard for the EVSE/car interface. Hypervolt has three modes : Boost, which uses as much power as it can get from any source (grid or solar); Eco, which uses as much solar as is available, topping it up to 1.4kW from the grid if necessary; and SuperEco, which will only use excess solar. I think Zappi do something similar, probably Anderson also.

Hi all,

Thank you in advance,

Cliff
Hi. You should have a look at Simpson and Partners chargers. Look amazing, good quality and at a good price. I have one and love it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back