Android Auto stopped working

Davn, what happens if you switch the car off when playing dab radio for example and then turn it back on again (not using AA) as a matter of interest. Does it still revert to BT music?

Last edited:
Well the phone is the same the car is new
I think as a whole the poor performance of the head unit is spoiling the ownership of the vehicle

Davn, what happens if you switch the car off when playing dab radio for example and then turn it back on again (not using AA) as a matter of interest. Does it still revert to BT?
No it stays on dab but switches randomly can be 10 feet or 10 miles

OK, no Android auto, no usb connection, Bluetooth connected for hands free?, DAB drops out (can be flaky in certain areas and MG4 aerial isn't that big) and goes to silent connection to BT music. So unless the phone is requesting it...which you don't think as you have no music app Bluetooth connection...could it just be by design when DAB signal fails it reverts to the next option which so happens to be BT music? Clutching at straws now...

OK, no Android auto, no usb connection, Bluetooth connected for hands free?, DAB drops out (can be flaky in certain areas and MG4 aerial isn't that big) and goes to silent connection to BT music. So unless the phone is requesting it...which you don't think as you have no music app Bluetooth connection...could it just be by design when DAB signal fails it reverts to the next option which so happens to be BT music? Clutching at straws now...
With past cars if dab drops out it will re-search for the station not switch to something totally different , very frustrating

I have an issue where Android auto gets stuck and freezes until I touch my phone itself and power the screen back on and then it continues to show the map. Music doesn't stop but you see the timer in a loop until the phone is bought out of sleep.

Just wondering if my phone has the problem or it's the infortainment system.

I have an issue where Android auto gets stuck and freezes until I touch my phone itself and power the screen back on and then it continues to show the map. Music doesn't stop but you see the timer in a loop until the phone is bought out of sleep.

Just wondering if my phone has the problem or it's the infortainment system.
Have you tried to set your phone display to stay on when connected?

Good point, no I haven't. Not sure how to do that! In the Audi Q4 I drive too, the screen doesn't need to stay on for a constant connection.
Yes I know there are some weird trates, I have to switch of Bluetooth media to stop it from changing the radio to Bluetooth music but have to switch it back on for maps voice directions 🤔

I've tried de-activating the screen lock and it still comes on. Occasionally it will work for say 20 minutes then it'll freeze. I can't seem to find a pattern nor can I find the app settings for Auto in my phone to make sure it's stays permanently open.

I've also had android auto freeze many times. Had it kind of restarting, like it's disconnecting and reconnecting, then had it go completely black, then it won't come back until powering off the vehicle and restarting. This (along with the restricted power issue) is my only real gripe with the car. Frustrating when trying to follow Google Maps.

To be honest I am heartily sick and fed up of trying to get Android Auto working. When I first had the car it would not work and so I took it back to the dealer. He got it working by restarting the phone and since then it worked occasionally.
But more recently, it just doesn't work.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled AA but still not working.
This is with the same USB cable that had previously watched ok.

The phone is connected to the car by USB and Bluetooth.
But when I tap the AA on the infotainment screen it keeps saying that I need to connect the android phone.
GRRRR.
Can I please ask if any clever person could take me through (I am 72 so please be kind) step by step what I ought to be doing.
Thank you in anticipation.

Try a different cable - seriously. Just because it used to work, or worked with a different car, doesn't mean it'll work OK with the MG4.

An example ... Mrs. Guru has a Dacia Sandero. AA worked fine with her old phone (and my phone) and the cable that was being used. When she changed her phone AA stopped working, but the same cable still worked fine with my phone. We changed the cable and AA started working just fine with her new phone. 🤷‍♂️

To be honest I am heartily sick and fed up of trying to get Android Auto working. When I first had the car it would not work and so I took it back to the dealer. He got it working by restarting the phone and since then it worked occasionally.
But more recently, it just doesn't work.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled AA but still not working.
This is with the same USB cable that had previously watched ok.

The phone is connected to the car by USB and Bluetooth.
But when I tap the AA on the infotainment screen it keeps saying that I need to connect the android phone.
GRRRR.
Can I please ask if any clever person could take me through (I am 72 so please be kind) step by step what I ought to be doing.
Thank you in anticipation.
It should really be that simple. You could try a different cable, they do vary quite a bit in quality and handling of data transmission.

Try a different cable - seriously. Just because it used to work, or worked with a different car, doesn't mean it'll work OK with the MG4.

An example ... Mrs. Guru has a Dacia Sandero. AA worked fine with her old phone (and my phone) and the cable that was being used. When she changed her phone AA stopped working, but the same cable still worked fine with my phone. We changed the cable and AA started working just fine with her new phone. 🤷‍♂️
Thank you for that. I have tried a different cable a few days ago but no joy I am afraid.

It should really be that simple. You could try a different cable, they do vary quite a bit in quality and handling of data transmission.
I have just spent a few minutes trying to get AA working.
I have unpaired and repaired the phone and car.
I have disconnected and reconnected the phone.
It brings up an AA start screen.
I have pressed Next and another screen flashes up but then goes off.
I will try to take a screenshot and post it.

I have just spent a few minutes trying to get AA working.
I have unpaired and repaired the phone and car.
I have disconnected and reconnected the phone.
It brings up an AA start screen.
I have pressed Next and another screen flashes up but then goes off.
I will try to take a screenshot and post it.
I had a problem with android auto on my Trophy that we picked up last Friday. I found it was a problem with the phone not the car, try cleaning Socket on the phone as it can get clogged with debris from our pockets. I used a plastic tiet to dislodge the debris and have not had any problems since.

I use a magnetic connector, so the socket always has one part in it. Thus the socket can't get debris in it.

The bonus is that I just need to place the phone on the car shelf and it virtually auto-connects. :)

I had a problem with android auto on my Trophy that we picked up last Friday. I found it was a problem with the phone not the car, try cleaning Socket on the phone as it can get clogged with debris from our pockets. I used a plastic tiet to dislodge the debris and have not had any problems since.
Sounds good. I will certainly try this. Thank you.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back