lsb777

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Leaving home early tomorrow and heading for Lake District. Planned stops at Tesla Banbury and Tesla Stoke. A quick Gridserve top-up at Burton on Kendal and then back to Manchester and Tesla Trafford. Have re-joined Tesla membership for £10.99 for a month. Will save £9.27 tomorrow alone based on adding 50% at the 3 Tesla stops when comparing the normal Tesla prices vs membership prices. At a 79p unit the same charging costs would be £38.63 higher. (£34.61 at Tesla vs £73.23 at a 79p unit)

Leaving home early tomorrow and heading for Lake District. Planned stops at Tesla Banbury and Tesla Stoke. A quick Gridserve top-up at Burton on Kendal and then back to Manchester and Tesla Trafford. Have re-joined Tesla membership for £10.99 for a month. Will save £9.27 tomorrow alone based on adding 50% at the 3 Tesla stops when comparing the normal Tesla prices vs membership prices. At a 79p unit the same charging costs would be £38.63 higher. (£34.61 at Tesla vs £73.23 at a 79p unit)
Let us know how you go on particularly with the Tesla chargers. I have the Tesla app but I haven’t used it yet but I have noticed that it has now changed from saying charge your non Tesla now to saying charge your EV. If you can detail the procedure you go through then that would be helpful as I may be having a trip in a few weeks that will be passing some Tesla Chargers and I might top up there if possible.

Let us know how you go on particularly with the Tesla chargers. I have the Tesla app but I haven’t used it yet but I have noticed that it has now changed from saying charge your non Tesla now to saying charge your EV. If you can detail the procedure you go through then that would be helpful as I may be having a trip in a few weeks that will be passing some Tesla Chargers and I might top up there if possible.
I've used Banbury & Stoke on last trip (once each way) and no problems. Very easy on the app. Pick an empty stall, plug in, select the stall number on app, press Start Charging. Quick & reliable. No idea why someone was plugged into Osprey in Banbury literally a few car lengths away. Nobody in sight to advise them to switch if they wanted to save money.

I've used Banbury & Stoke on last trip (once each way) and no problems. Very easy on the app. Pick an empty stall, plug in, select the stall number on app, press Start Charging. Quick & reliable. No idea why someone was plugged into Osprey in Banbury literally a few car lengths away. Nobody in sight to advise them to switch if they wanted to save money.
I watch a utube channel called Dave Takes it on and he has mentioned that one I think. Not all Tesla chargers are open to non Tesla so maybe they didn’t know that these are open to all.

I watch a utube channel called Dave Takes it on and he has mentioned that one I think. Not all Tesla chargers are open to non Tesla so maybe they didn’t know that these are open to all.
Yes I keep mentioning on various forums about checking if there's a Tesla open to all on route to save people money.

I tried a Tesla supercharger last year, purely because it was about 10 yards from where I had parked outside the hotel where we were having dinner, and because I could. (I literally reversed from my parking space, into the supercharger bay right behind me.) Absolutely painless, just told the app the ID of the charger I was at. The app said plug in, charge may take up to 2 min to start, but it started within seconds. This was one of the old chargers with short leads and no contactless payment, but the MG4 fitted the bay just like a Tesla and it was fine.

The only wrinkle was that the Tesla app (which I had downloaded and set up well before I tried it) decided to hang while the car was charging, but that didn't interfere with the charging at all.

Not sure if the open ones show up on Zap Map or if it’s just the Tesla app.
I always go for the Tesla app firstly and then start looking for Gridserve or Instavolt. If I'm out on a road trip, I want speed, value for money & reliability. Hence now recommending Tesla to anyone. Shame nothing North of Manchester for me tomorrow near Lake District. Will be grumbling whilst plugged in to Gridserve on M6 but at least they have 6x 350kW units so it'll be quick but pricey.

I was there last year. It wasn't that quick because I was in an SR trying to get over 90%. The main problem was that the food outlets are pretty rubbish. You should be fine in an X-Power just getting a quick boost.

I was there last year. It wasn't that quick because I was in an SR trying to get over 90%. The main problem was that the food outlets are pretty rubbish. You should be fine in an X-Power just getting a quick boost.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll take a sandwich!

My phone had died at my previous charging stop at Stafford, while arguing with an Ionity charger, so I had no way to tell how the car was getting on apart from going out into the gathering dusk and looking at the charger. It's true, once you're over 90%, it's glacial.

My phone had died at my previous charging stop at Stafford, while arguing with an Ionity charger, so I had no way to tell how the car was getting on apart from going out into the gathering dusk and looking at the charger. It's true, once you're over 90%, it's glacial.
So is all your charge progress info on the app with the 4 ?
I’ve only got the dashboard readout with the 5.

Might've been ChadeMo ( as an ex ) 🤔

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel