Leaving home early tomorrow and heading for Lake District. Planned stops at Tesla Banbury and Tesla Stoke. A quick Gridserve top-up at Burton on Kendal and then back to Manchester and Tesla Trafford. Have re-joined Tesla membership for £10.99 for a month. Will save £9.27 tomorrow alone based on adding 50% at the 3 Tesla stops when comparing the normal Tesla prices vs membership prices. At a 79p unit the same charging costs would be £38.63 higher. (£34.61 at Tesla vs £73.23 at a 79p unit)
We are planning on going to our place in Blairgowrie in Scotland, so will be travelling up over the east coast in my Wife's new Model 3 when it arrives, this will actually be the first time we've done that journey and hoping to use the Tesla network so will be interesting to see how smoothly it goes.

I started using the Tesla chargers in Feb this year, used the Adderstone chargers 4 times and the Harrogate chargers twice, simple process every time, plug in, tell the app where you are and off you go.

Easily get up to 140kW when below 50% and then drops to around 70kW the closer to 100% you get.

Just make sure you have a good data signal on your phone for the app to talk to the Tesla servers

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the Adderstone chargers like? Easy to use and reliable? (App or contactless payment?) Any facilities there?

I ask as I sometimes go visit my cousin and he lives in Widdrington, about 28 miles further south. (I usually go M74, A69, A1 north when visiting, and charge up at Gretna services en-route. But I could potentially go M74, M8, A1 south and charge at Adderstone instead).

Adderstone chargers are type 3 (I think that's what Tesla call them) so app only and shorter cables. There is a coffee shop with toilets ,Purdey Lodge, less than 50 metres from the chargers.

If you are driving south on the A1 there is a slip road that leads straight to them, coming north you have to turn off (there is a right turn filter) and drive though the BP garage to get to them.

Thanks - as soon as you said Purdey Lodge I knew where you meant. (I've used those services previously, long before I had an EV).

And they'll be Tesla V3 chargers. :)

Adderstone chargers are type 3 (I think that's what Tesla call them) so app only and shorter cables. There is a coffee shop with toilets ,Purdey Lodge, less than 50 metres from the chargers.

If you are driving south on the A1 there is a slip road that leads straight to them, coming north you have to turn off (there is a right turn filter) and drive though the BP garage to get to them.
We usually use those chargers on the way up to Scotland as we hit them around tea time. It's a bit more than a coffee shop judging by the size of the meals we have there!

The car usually charges well (135+kW to begin with) on the Tesla chargers. Once I only got around 80kW. Another time it was a good job we don't have that far to go from there as there was a power cut. Luckily the car had enough charge by then and so did we as our hot meals had been served....

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back