Any idea why a Tesla slow charger maxes out at 3kW?

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Tried my car on a Tesla slow charger yesterday, and got 3kW. Almost granny charger speed. Any ideas why?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I still don't understand it then
This is how I remember these things: forget amps and volts etc.
A charger is rated to supply X kW in Y phases.
Each phase supplies X/Y kW

Your typical (in the UK) home charger supplies 7kW with 1 phase (single phase charger)
X = 7
Y = 1
Each phase supplies 7/1 = 7 kW

A GeniePoint charger supplies 22kW with 3 phases
X = 22
Y = 3
Each phase supplies 22/3 = 7 kW

An 11kW triple phase home charger supplies 11 kW with 3 phases
X = 11
Y = 3
Each phase supplies 11/3 = 3.6 kW

Those numbers I’ve rounded because of how we talk about chargers in common parlance. Exact numbers are different but also sometimes it’s unclear whether people refer to the number of kw supplied to the car by the charger, or charged into the battery by the car. A ‘seven kW’ charger really is rated to supply 7.4 kW and the car will probably only charge 6.5 kW. Both are seven kW but we know they are not really 7, but approx 7.

None the less, the OP said that his Tesla charges at 11kW and his mg4 at 3kW

It fits with the OP having an eleven kW triple phase home charger.

if the cable is a triple phase one, all three phases will be delivered to the car.
If the cable is single phase, only one phase will be delivered to the car.

If the car is capable of accepting all three phases, using a triple phase cable will ensure the total charging power is supplied to the car.

If the car is capable of accepting only one phase, using a triple phase cable will only deliver one phase , a third of the chargers supply, to the car.

If the car is capable of accepting three phases, using a single phase cable will only deliver one phase, a third of the chargers supply, to the car.

What complicates matters further is the ampere rating of each phase (charger/cable/car)
Luckily these things are pretty standardised these days, but it’s easy to pick up the wrong cable without realising it’s the wrong rating for that charger/car phase combination.

A single phase Seven kW charger will normally supply 7.4kW at 32Amps, and 3.6 kW at 16 Amps.
When you connect a cable to the charger, the charger will figure out whether the cable can carry one phase at 16A or 32A.
The cable could be: single phase cable rated at 16A, a single phase cable rated at 32A, a triple phase cable rated at 16A for each phase, or a triple phase cable rated at 32A for each phase.

A triple phase cable rated 16A 3P will therefore only deliver 3.6kW because although the charger could deliver one phase of 7.4kW at 32 A, it can only deliver 3.6kW in one phase at 16A
It’s the ‘phase rating’ that matters.

But let’s say a triple phase cable rated at 32A for each phase is used: the charger will now supply 7.4kW.

But what about the car: if the car has an 11kW on board charger, it’s most likely a triple phase capable car, but limited to 16A for each of the 3 phases. It definitely can accept three phases at 16A each, but it won’t accept even a single phase at 32A because it’s not rated for it.

So let’s say we have a triple phase MG4 with an onboard 11kW capable system: we go to a Genie Point 22kW triple phase public charger, we plug in a 22kW (32A, 3 phases) cable, but we only get 11kW.
Just like in the case of a single phase 7kW charger that can only supply half its power through a 16A cable, a 22kW charger can only supply half its power to a 16A car.

An analogy that makes more sense to me is when I think of phases as physical pipes, taps, and buckets.
Each tap, pipe and bucket is numbered 1, 2 and 3
Each tap, pipe and bucket is rated 16A or 32A
Each tap is then given a power figure: 3.6kW or 7.4kW

Alll taps pipes and buckets with the same numbers are physically locked together

And you can’t use three pipes with one bucket or two taps without someone performing some ‘magic’, and that’s electrical engineering:

More concisely, the Tesla "charger" can only supply 3.6kW on each of three phases, but the car can only make use of one phase. Hence it charges at 3.6kW, even though it could charge at 6.6kW if the "charger" could provide that power on that one phase.
That's the quick way to say it! 😁

More concisely, the Tesla "charger" can only supply 3.6kW on each of three phases, but the car can only make use of one phase. Hence it charges at 3.6kW, even though it could charge at 6.6kW if the "charger" could provide that power on that one phase.
That could be the case if he has got a one phase socket in his MG4, but as it is a LR norwegian car, I would think he has a three phase.

His Tesla will charge at 11 kW and the MG4 will charge at 3 kW (I guess into the battery, not from charger). As Tesla do have a unusual way of doing things, a Tesla charger can be 11 kW from a two-phase supply (24A circuits on two phases), if using the correct net power system from your trafo (I think not Isolated Terra (IT), but maybe Terra Neutral (TN) (can't remember which), as more modern houses in Norway use that as default. The MG4 can't recieve that 2 phase, so the charger goes down to one phase 16A, my guess is.

That could be the case if he has got a one phase socket in his MG4, but as it is a LR norwegian car, I would think he has a three phase.
Ah. I didn't realise that, it's not as easy to see the poster's location when using a mobile device.
Tesla charger can be 11 kW from a two-phase supply (24A circuits on two phases)
Huh? I can't imagine how a Tesla vehicle could achieve that. I assume that they have three single phase On Board Chargers. Unless they are the very rare 22kW models, with three 7kW OBCs.

Ah. I didn't realise that, it's not as easy to see the poster's location when using a mobile device.

Huh? I can't imagine how a Tesla vehicle could achieve that. I assume that they have three single phase On Board Chargers. Unless they are the very rare 22kW models, with three 7kW OBCs.
I would guess it's a poor-mans three-phase system, as some houses don't have three phases and big enough wires to put out anything better than two phase 24A. To achieve this I can think of the Tesla wall charger is using double chargers inside it. So it delivers single phase 24A twice to the Tesla car. And that would not work on MG4, as then it will probably revert to single phase 16A to comply with the car. This is what I think would make this behavior as the original poster has described, as long as the MG4 socket probably is three-phase.

Tried my car on a Tesla slow charger yesterday, and got 3kW. Almost granny charger speed. Any ideas why?
I didn't even get 3kW with my 70 plate MG5 SR pre-facelift!

I had the opportunity to use a Tesla home charger last Thursday at a pleasant little B&B we needed to use attending a funeral some way away (free charging 👍). Plugged in and got "Connected uncharging". Left it for a few mins and still the same. I did notice the red "vehicle connected" light on the right side of the power meter was very briefly flashing red every few seconds.

We gave up with that and I connected to the guys other charge point (him and his partner have a Tesla Model Y and a Model 3 between them 😡). It was a twin outlet BP Pulse domestic point and charged perfectly normally.

Mutter, mutter, bloody Teslas.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 497 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel