Anyone been to 0 yet?

TheTallOne

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Now a few people have got their cars I wonder if anyone has run down the battery to empty yet?

If so, what was the car's behaviour as it "went gently into that good night"?

Specifically:

How much "buffer" is there once the battery indicator reaches 0?

What was the manner of power loss, sudden or gradual?

Come on new owners. Be brave!

Now a few people have got their cars I wonder if anyone has run down the battery to empty yet?

If so, what was the car's behaviour as it "went gently into that good night"?

Specifically:

How much "buffer" is there once the battery indicator reaches 0?

What was the manner of power loss, sudden or gradual?

Come on new owners. Be brave!
You're not volunteering then? :unsure:

Extract from driving electric;

Like running a conventional car to empty, using all of your EV’s charge can damage the car. Running completely out of power is known as 'deep discharging' and can lead to the battery deteriorating, reducing its performance and ability to hold charge. If you have less than 10-20% charge left, it’s always best to recharge if possible rather than letting it dip further.

Extract from driving electric;

Like running a conventional car to empty, using all of your EV’s charge can damage the car. Running completely out of power is known as 'deep discharging' and can lead to the battery deteriorating, reducing its performance and ability to hold charge. If you have less than 10-20% charge left, it’s always best to recharge if possible rather than letting it dip further.
Whilst true, its useful to know what the car does, all the same. Some cars stay in turtle mode, then big turtle mode, then die a couple of miles later. Other cars just die. Some die but you can push them to the charger if you're near enough, others you can't. So, though you never want to do it in on purpose, unless your name is Bjorn, it will happen to someone and the information is useful!

Of course, if I had an mg4 I'd be the first to volunteer.... Not!

The cars BMS will start to warn you when getting too low. It will, as Tiny states, go to turtle or tortoise mode enabling you to try to get to a safe location before the car comes to a complete halt. The cars 12v system will enable base functions to continue such as warning lights. Would I volunteer:unsure:....no. Would it harm the battery if it happened rarely...no, the modern cars BMS would not allow it to go to a true 0% state I believe so no real damage should be caused.

Alan

I recall watching a recent video on YouTube (@Miles Roberts CG or RSEV?) which did a range test, and the battery got down to around 10% before it was charged up. I don't recall the car's performance being affected.

Performance wouldn't be affected at 10%. Without seeing actual figures I don't know how far below 10% you need to go before the car battery warnings kick in and then subsequently take control of acceleration capability.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back