Anyone else swapping from ZS EV to HS PHE?

D

Deleted member 3150

Having moved from ZS 1.0l to the ZS EV I’m test driving the HS PHEV today. We sold both our iCE cars last year as retired but hiring to do a long journey is a pain and try getting from Devon to St Neots?

so back to hybrids maybe ?

You're not supposed to go from St Neots to Devon, the people that designed the road network were told to make it nearly impossible.

It was probably to avoid the two tribes breeding.

Please don't leave the EV community, plan a route and use rapid chargers (best is Instavolt) it will work out cheaper.

Last edited:
Having moved from ZS 1.0l to the ZS EV I’m test driving the HS PHEV today. We sold both our iCE cars last year as retired but hiring to do a long journey is a pain and try getting from Devon to St Neots?

You're retired, take your time, enjoy the journey, have a sausage roll and a coffee while the car is charging, they are cheaper than a new car. :)

I've decided to retire at the end of this month and plan to do the same. It will be a challenge for me as I have always been a 'set cruise at 80, 70, and go as far as I can without stopping' kinda guy.

Last edited:
st Neots route on app map requires 3 stops and so often shows out of service rapid chargers. And when I get to st Meots there are no rapid chargers!

I had the same issue getting to Southport. There are only so many sausage rolls you can eat too. I really rate the ZS and seeing the new one today it’s even better. Driven the HS home now about 15 miles on EV mode, started with 31 miles and now shows 9 miles of electrons left. Had to drop heating down to 18 degrees to stop ice coming on. Was going to charge do a 120 hybrid trip tomorrow but no cable in the boot!,,,

st Neots route on app map requires 3 stops and so often shows out of service rapid chargers. And when I get to st Meots there are no rapid chargers!

I had the same issue getting to Southport. There are only so many sausage rolls you can eat too. I really rate the ZS and seeing the new one today it’s even better. Driven the HS home now about 15 miles on EV mode, started with 31 miles and now shows 9 miles of electrons left. Had to drop heating down to 18 degrees to stop ice coming on. Was going to charge do a 120 hybrid trip tomorrow but no cable in the boot!,,,
Haven't you got the message yet ?

The world is conspiring to stop you going from EV to PHEV.

If the new ZS EV has a 72 kWh battery you will be able to do the whole trip without charging.

I do hope you don't go backwards now that you've tried a full EV.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
I prefer to use the WattsUp app for planning my route. It doesn't tell me where I need to top and how much like Zap Map or ABRP but it does show all the chargers along the route and I can make my own choice as I go along. I entered a random middle of Devon location to start and it showed 79 charger locations and how many chargers are there, along or just off the route to St Neots with their distance from the starting point.

I can understand your logic there. Let us know how you get on as we're all keen to know mare about the HS.

Retiring is ALL about leaving the rat race and taking life in a lower gear.
You have earned the privilege now !.
The EV is really suited to the easier lifestyle.
Relaxed driving and listening to calming music playing softly on the radio as you waft along.
Drive a bit, then stop for a hot drink ( and a toilet stop 😲 ) then people watch, while you picking up a charge.
It’s all part of the retirement plan !.
Remember this, there is all of tomorrow NOT touched yet !.
When I first retired, I kept thinking :-
“Should I be doing something, right now ?”.
It takes a good while to adapt.
What ever you choice to go with, enjoy it !.

Relaxed driving and listening to calming music playing softly on the radio as you waft along.
Drive a bit, then stop for a hot drink ( and a toilet stop 😲 ) then people watch, while you picking up a charge.
It’s all part of the retirement plan !.
Remember this, there is all of tomorrow NOT touched yet !.
When I first retired, I kept thinking :-
“Should I be doing something, right now ?”.
It takes a good while to adapt.
What ever you choice to go with, enjoy it !.
I agree entirely - except, in our case, for the run to Edinburgh to see our grand-daughter (and her parents) when dual carriageway driving + just wanting to get there a.s.a.p. alters the Zen description of driving that you've just illustrated!! :)

Oh no I am going to have to completely redo my driving playlists.

Out goes Golden Earring, Dr Feelgood, The Boss etc and in comes the Carpenters. I may put off retirement.....

Good luck with whatever you decide.
I prefer to use the WattsUp app for planning my route. It doesn't tell me where I need to top and how much like Zap Map or ABRP but it does show all the chargers along the route and I can make my own choice as I go along. I entered a random middle of Devon location to start and it showed 79 charger locations and how many chargers are there, along or just off the route to St Neots with their distance from the starting point.
ah, but it’s St Neots in Cambridgeshire so an extra 4 hours away and 3 charges required.

Up date 1 on th HS.
  1. Compared to the ZS EV it’s a big wallowing bus that complains constantly about being in EV mode.
  2. If the temp inside the cabin is a smidging over the outside temp it kicks into hybrid. . In winter you would definitely need to turn off the heater completely.
  3. The two gearboxes seen to argue with each other on occasions And produce a dead spot a bit like turbo lag
  4. There is an annoying whirring sound in EV mode at slow speeds I guess to warn pedestrians and cyclist who won’t hear it with their ear buds in anyway
  5. The main dashboard is busy and hard to read with old eyes.
  6. The infotainment system is just as cluggy in EV mode and probably has the same freezing issues, (not happened yet).
  7. having to adjust heating and engine management on the go via the touch screen is I think dangerous.
  8. you are going to need a long type 2 charge cable unless you reverse into you drive as the plug is at the back
  9. there is nowhere to put you phone when connected to Apple play and like the ZS it has to be wired not Bluetooth
  10. the sun visor is useless on the big window
  11. stepping out the front onto the payment is a wide step ensuring any mess on the sills ends up on your calves
  12. the engine reminds me of driving my Ford Anglia
still need to do more manoeuvring and a longer drive to comment more but do like the following
  1. The large rear doors are much easier to get in and out of. This is a real problem as we do volunteer driving for the community and some old folk just can’t get in the back of the ZS.
  2. seats are good
  3. rear armrest at last!
  4. With child seats in unlike the ZS you can actually clip in the belts without losing a finger
  5. 3 adults can get in the back
  6. 3D cameras seems useful on manoeuvring
  7. LED headlights are laser sharp
  8. grandkids love the mood lighting
  9. at last a dashboard flip open money box to right of driver
  10. adjustable passenger seat too!

Haven't you got the message yet ?

The world is conspiring to stop you going from EV to PHEV.

If the new ZS EV has a 72 kWh battery you will be able to do the whole trip without charging.

I do hope you don't go backwards now that you've tried a full EV.
And 10 minute charging is on my wish list too, along with a phone app and drive me home mode after that extra glass of red

Up date 1 on th HS.
  1. Compared to the ZS EV it’s a big wallowing bus that complains constantly about being in EV mode.
  2. If the temp inside the cabin is a smidging over the outside temp it kicks into hybrid. . In winter you would definitely need to turn off the heater completely.
  3. The two gearboxes seen to argue with each other on occasions And produce a dead spot a bit like turbo lag
  4. There is an annoying whirring sound in EV mode at slow speeds I guess to warn pedestrians and cyclist who won’t hear it with their ear buds in anyway
  5. The main dashboard is busy and hard to read with old eyes.
  6. The infotainment system is just as cluggy in EV mode and probably has the same freezing issues, (not happened yet).
  7. having to adjust heating and engine management on the go via the touch screen is I think dangerous.
  8. you are going to need a long type 2 charge cable unless you reverse into you drive as the plug is at the back
  9. there is nowhere to put you phone when connected to Apple play and like the ZS it has to be wired not Bluetooth
  10. the sun visor is useless on the big window
  11. stepping out the front onto the payment is a wide step ensuring any mess on the sills ends up on your calves
  12. the engine reminds me of driving my Ford Anglia
Sounds perfect LOL, are there any other hybrids worth looking at, even second hand ?

My google only has a town called St Neots in Cambridgeshire

Oh no I am going to have to completely redo my driving playlists.

Out goes Golden Earring, Dr Feelgood, The Boss etc and in comes the Carpenters. I may put off retirement.....
Golden earring ( radar love ) not what you want you want to come on the stereo, when you are trying to improve your consumption figures I am afraid.
As soon as it starts, the right foot goes down 🤣 !.
Switch to Classic FM - it will improve your range by loads !.
Try not to doze off though !.
You know when you are getting past it, when you start taking a likeness to the men’s clothes in M&S !.
It just happens one day when you are not paying close attention to your surroundings 😲.
You can run, but your can not hide from getting older.
Fact of life I am afraid 😱.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom