Anyone elses front and rear cameras complety unusable due to moisture?

In 2011 i bought a Kia Sportage. The rear cam was useless in rain and it was also changed (warrenty) twice du to the problems described in this tread.

Another theory regarding the cameras: If you look close ay the rear view cams on most cars (from different car brands) it seems they are all made at the same factory. That is because they do look the same (small black square things).

In 2011 i bought a Kia Sportage. The rear cam was useless in rain and it was also changed (warrenty) twice du to the problems described in this tread.

Another theory regarding the cameras: If you look close ay the rear view cams on most cars (from different car brands) it seems they are all made at the same factory. That is because they do look the same (small black square things).
They may look the same but I highly doubt they are actually the same. You only have to look the results on something like the BYD Atto, or even a 10 year old VW to see the resolution and low light performance is very different.

They may look the same but I highly doubt they are actually the same. You only have to look the results on something like the BYD Atto, or even a 10 year old VW to see the resolution and low light performance is very different.
Does this really impinge upon your ability to use the car?

I think so too... ?

What is it you think you'd see better in "hd" that you currently can't whilst reversing?
If you have to ask this question, then I would wouldn't worry, just return to your black and white CRT TV...

If you have to ask this question, then I would wouldn't worry, just return to your black and white CRT TV...
the main issue is that there composite cameras. A change would require quite an overhaul id imagine, with expensive digitizers ether at each camera, or highly shielded cable being ran from each camera to a module to then encode and manipulate the video streams into the 360 view. Both of these solutions are expensive. The quality on the HS 360 is adequate, and id imagine is the same system on the ZS.

As i said, it is just my theory, i can be wrong i have been before...

All of these safety aids CAN be of assistance to the driver !.
But drivers of a certain age, will clearly remember back to a time when we had NONE of these drivers aid's and relied more on our pure driving skills and what we had learnt from our driving instructors etc.
When I passed my driving test, very few cars even had door mirrors / reversing lights, let alone auto hold handbrakes / front and rear parking sensors / rear cross traffic alert / pedestrian alert / both reversing and 360 degree camera's etc etc.
OMG - Have we become totally reliant on all of this tech stuff now folks ?.
All of these safety improvements help maintain / improve the NCAP star rating and may go someway to answer why they keep adding and adding more of these things.
But, could it be argued that all of these flashing warning lights / beeping & buzzers going off, then images flashing up on the info screen, could all of these things be even be seen as some type of a distraction to the driver some times I wonder now ?.
When and if I have become so totally dependant on all of this tech to drive me to do my local supermarket to carry out my weekly shop, then it is only right that I should strongly consider reframing from driving - PERIOD !.
My last 10 cars have had some level of either cruise control or advanced driving aids like Pro-Pilot.
Have I, or do I ever intend to use these feature - NOPE.
Trusting a camera and a computer with both mine and other peoples safety is just not my intension.

All of these safety aids CAN be of assistance to the driver !.
But drivers of a certain age, will clearly remember back to a time when we had NONE of these drivers aid's and relied more on our pure driving skills and what we had learnt from our driving instructors etc.
When I passed my driving test, very few cars even had door mirrors / reversing lights, let alone auto hold handbrakes / front and rear parking sensors / rear cross traffic alert / pedestrian alert / both reversing and 360 degree camera's etc etc.
OMG - Have we become totally reliant on all of this tech stuff now folks ?.
All of these safety improvements help maintain / improve the NCAP star rating and may go someway to answer why they keep adding and adding more of these things.
But, could it be argued that all of these flashing warning lights / beeping & buzzers going off, then images flashing up on the info screen, could all of these things be even be seen as some type of a distraction to the driver some times I wonder now ?.
When and if I have become so totally dependant on all of this tech to drive me to do my local supermarket to carry out my weekly shop, then it is only right that I should strongly consider reframing from driving - PERIOD !.
My last 10 cars have had some level of either cruise control or advanced driving aids like Pro-Pilot.
Have I, or do I ever intend to use these feature - NOPE.
Trusting a camera and a computer with both mine and other peoples safety is just not my intension.
As I said earlier, cars 30+ years ago used to have much larger 'green house' areas with better visibility. Higher waist lines, thicker pillars etc mean visibility isn't as good on current generation cars so cameras are much more useful and welcome.

It's also worth mentioning that there is a newer trend where the cameras ARE the mirrors (e.g. Honda e, Hyundai Ioniq 6) so if cameras are provided and needed, why not spend an extra few quid on the module and make them a half decent resolution and also put some thought into how they can stay clean for a reasonable period? - because none of that passes the test on the ZS.

As I said earlier, cars 30+ years ago used to have much larger 'green house' areas with better visibility. Higher waist lines, thicker pillars etc mean visibility isn't as good on current generation cars so cameras are much more useful and welcome.

It's also worth mentioning that there is a newer trend where the cameras ARE the mirrors (e.g. Honda e, Hyundai Ioniq 6) so if cameras are provided and needed, why not spend an extra few quid on the module and make them a half decent resolution and also put some thought into how they can stay clean for a reasonable period? - because none of that passes the test on the ZS.
These are good valid points that you raise, but when using door mirror cameras in place of standard run of the mill mirror units, these are not going to be a cheap affair it has to be said.
The features offered for the original price on the ZS EV was seen by most people who have tested it, to be seen as unbeatable value for money.
To pack as many features into a EV of this size and expect high quality camera etc is asking a bit too much I think.
The Honda e is packed with more modern tech that’s for sure, but at this price it is a relatively small car.
The Ionia 6 is a larger car than the Honda and more expensive.
I guess you pays your money and takes your choice ?.
Could the equipment in the ZS EV be better, of course it could, but it is then nudging towards the price of other offerings.
MG are keen in trying to offer features at a reasonable cost over the competition, this has always been their aim I believe.
You can see them doing this in the new facelift model, when they announced that they would be removing the full length electric sky roof from the top of the range models, with no reduction in the screen price of the car.
It’s all about what you are and are not, expecting to compromise on, set against the price you are being asked to pay for the car really ?.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be nice if some manufacturer supplied a cheap, long range, say 300+ mile, EV without all the bells and whistles.
When I took my HGV test we didn't have any reversing cameras or sensors and no interior mirror, just door mirrors and eyes.

When I passed my driving test - in an Austin A30 van - it had trafficators not flashing indicators. For those below a certain age they were mechanical signal arms about six inches long which shot out from the door pillar (if the battery was sufficiently charged) and lit up with an orange light. Things have indeed moved on!

Dave

It’s progress though isn’t it? I agree that some of the tech sometimes doesn’t work that well but we should all embrace change if we can.
I remember laughing at cars fitted with extra emission-reducing equipment and how catalytic converters took power from the cars. Air bags seemed a bit silly. Compulsory early seat belts were severely objected to by many. Crumple zones and big wide bumpers were another development that many thought were ok as long as they were on Volvos.
If anyone thinks we’ve not progressed then take a ride in an old car without any of the modern safety equipment - a steering wheel and column to spear your chest in an impact - thin A pillars that crumple like jelly and the passenger compartment that is easily compromised without crumple zones. Good all round visibility though.
They all have their moment in time. We must continue to progress and develop or stagnate.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom