Apple CarPlay connection issues

MG4 Lad

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Good evening everyone, I wonder if any of you will be able to help. I have already done some searching, but can’t find anything concrete on this topic.

I am having some problems connecting my iPhone to the MG4 to use Apple CarPlay. It currently seems to be totally hit and miss - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Here are the details:

• Apple iPhone 13 mini
  • Tried using 2 different genuine Apple Lightning cables, and 1 cheap cable, connected using the USB-A port.
  • When plugging in the phone, the Apple CarPlay icon on the MG4 screen momentarily turns white, then greys out again.
  • If I try to press the greyed-out button, a message, “Reconnect, retry after authorization” appears on the screen.
  • The “Allow CarPlay While Locked” options is active in the iPhone‘s settings.
  • Sometimes it works first time, and on other occasions it takes 5+ attempts of plugging in/unplugging the phone before it’ll work (very frustrating!)
  • Phone always charges, even if it doesn’t connect to CarPlay.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Which cables have you used? Has anybody managed to solve the problem?

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
I have the same (12 mini) - this is the only thing left to master on our MG4 - everything else is perfect- the carplay is very hit & miss also, as to whether it connects (on mine it seems to be linked to bluetooth - but i haven't quite worked out the exact sequence, start point to get it to connect 1st time - most of the time it momentry connects (for about 2 seconds), then disconnects, but continues to charge)

Thanks Tig. I have also been trying to work out if there’s a particular way to get it to always connect - Perhaps doing things in a particular order?

Or maybe there needs to be a software update, or something is wrong with the USB port in the car.

Have you tried cleaning your connection port on the phone. Sounds like the data contact is either dirty or some fluff is stopping the contact. Try using a wooden toothpick gently to see if any debris inside the connection port. I have a 12 Pro and after cleaning mine (had a lot of fluff from jeans pocket I presume) it has been fine.

I had the same issue with a brand new authentic Apple cable and as soon as I changed to an Amazon basics cable it solved the issue and now connects every time. You should not need to have the phone unlocked unless you have chosen that setting on your phone.

I've never found an option (in Android / AA) to not have to unlock the phone ... maybe it works in later phones where AA is integrated, but not with my phone which has a separate AA app.

I can only comment on IPhone and CarPlay, as standard it works when locked and if you want/need to have it unlocked to connect then that option is available in CarPlay settings

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I will try some of the suggestions once I get back home on the weekend.

I’ll give an Amazon basics cable a try, and see how it goes. Will also check the lightning socket on the iPhone for fluff/debris etc!

After several months I still find the CarPlay connection extremely flaky. I cannot find a sequence that makes it work every time. I’ve tried different apple/non-apple cables, un/locked, before/after starting car etc. Sometimes it won’t connect at all. Other times it takes several minutes. Other times again it does it straight away. Also, after connecting, it occasionally boots me out completely. This is usually when I’m following a really complicated route on the Waze satnav. I guess it’s the MG4 interface that is the issue as I’ve not had this problem in other vehicles (Skoda, Audi and ironically a mg zs courtesy car last week!)

After several months I still find the CarPlay connection extremely flaky. I cannot find a sequence that makes it work every time. I’ve tried different apple/non-apple cables, un/locked, before/after starting car etc. Sometimes it won’t connect at all. Other times it takes several minutes. Other times again it does it straight away. Also, after connecting, it occasionally boots me out completely. This is usually when I’m following a really complicated route on the Waze satnav. I guess it’s the MG4 interface that is the issue as I’ve not had this problem in other vehicles (Skoda, Audi and ironically a mg zs courtesy car last week!)
Must admit mine is also flaky too - found that cleaning out the lightning port has helped a bit, aswell as having a MFI certified cable - but its not 100% either? - might be a software issue?, as it still charges even if the MG4 doesn't see it.

EDIT: Ive just been playing around, mine seems to connect 100% of the time if the screen is on on & im looking at the screen (face ID?), not that its much help, but might be a iphone / MG4 security handshake challenge?

Last edited:
Thanks. I’ll try cleaning the port. I thought mine connected better with the screen off but I will try with Face ID working…

Good evening everyone, I wonder if any of you will be able to help. I have already done some searching, but can’t find anything concrete on this topic.

I am having some problems connecting my iPhone to the MG4 to use Apple CarPlay. It currently seems to be totally hit and miss - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Here are the details:

• Apple iPhone 13 mini
  • Tried using 2 different genuine Apple Lightning cables, and 1 cheap cable, connected using the USB-A port.
  • When plugging in the phone, the Apple CarPlay icon on the MG4 screen momentarily turns white, then greys out again.
  • If I try to press the greyed-out button, a message, “Reconnect, retry after authorization” appears on the screen.
  • The “Allow CarPlay While Locked” options is active in the iPhone‘s settings.
  • Sometimes it works first time, and on other occasions it takes 5+ attempts of plugging in/unplugging the phone before it’ll work (very frustrating!)
  • Phone always charges, even if it doesn’t connect to CarPlay.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Which cables have you used? Has anybody managed to solve the problem?

Thanks very much.
Same on my MG5… letting the car shut down and furies up gain after 30mins or so brings mine back to life… working around with an CarlinKit 5.0 Wireless gadget if that helps!

How I get my Apple Car play working 90% of the time .
On the Phone - Ensure Use if locked is enabled (within Car play) as that can 'lock out' the USB read functionality from the car to the phone.
Next is to 'wait' yeah thats the biggest issue with this car waiting on Start - Do you have the welcome to MG todays weather is blah blah blah 'please drive blah blah blah' I have that enabled - Not to hear the voice - But to hear that the cars 'Audio chip / function is working'... That way - When I 'then' plug my iphone into its 'new only ever been used in this car cable' it 90% of the times comes up
I have seen an error on the car screen - unable to read the USB drive - or words to that effect - With that I make sure iPhone is unlocked and I reconnect ..
Other times I have had to 'reboot' the infotainment screen (home button depressed what 5-10 seconds) ..

One thing that seems to be consistent - If I take a roundabout that is on a slop or the camber changes as the roundabout is flat but its on a hill - That the phone can get dropped as I exit (camber change / car moves accordingly)

But I will say its not fulproof - and yeah if I take my phone to my other car - an Older Leaf - AUX plays music straight off.. So MG s/w is laggy /buggy - clearly

Same on my MG5… letting the car shut down and furies up gain after 30mins or so brings mine back to life… working around with an CarlinKit 5.0 Wireless gadget if that helps!
Scratch that… worked for a short period then got a bit glitchy… spent £20 on a 1 meter Apple cable (morphie)… works fine every time.

Anyone managed to find a permanent fix?

I’m constantly having issues, very flakey. I love my music and podcasts and with being on the road a lot of the time, it’s driving me nuts, having to pull over numerous times to get it working again, unplugging and plugging back in sometimes 10x to get it working.

2023 plate and my iPhone and the USB cable are only a few months old, I’ve checked for dust inside charging port, but had no luck.

I don’t fancy spending £20 on a new official Apple cable when the one I’m using is only 3 months old.

I had similar issues at first with CarPlay hit and miss, but I changed the cable which is a spare(not a genuine Apple cable) and it’s been perfect since ( iPhone 12 ProMax)

Anyone managed to find a permanent fix?

I’m constantly having issues, very flakey. I love my music and podcasts and with being on the road a lot of the time, it’s driving me nuts, having to pull over numerous times to get it working again, unplugging and plugging back in sometimes 10x to get it working.

2023 plate and my iPhone and the USB cable are only a few months old, I’ve checked for dust inside charging port, but had no luck.

I don’t fancy spending £20 on a new official Apple cable when the one I’m using is only 3 months old.
It might not be the cable.

Apple Music and Apple podcast apps have been pretty glicthy and not up to par in terms of stability over the past year. I notice Nord and more startup errors and files not properly buffered then just don’t complete playing.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back