Apple CarPlay connection issues

Ok thanks I’ll give it a go. What Anker cable did you purchase, so I know to buy the exact same one?
It is one I already owned, not a new purchase but it was just a braided Anker cable in black, short enough to just feed through the tray and then connect to the phone. I will have bought it off Amazon probably, some years back.

I don’t understand how my issue is linked to a cable. The fault continuously happens when the car is moving and when stationary.
Yes I don't get it either but it's best to just accept the fix and maybe someone more technically capable can provide an answer in due course!

Good evening everyone, I wonder if any of you will be able to help. I have already done some searching, but can’t find anything concrete on this topic.

I am having some problems connecting my iPhone to the MG4 to use Apple CarPlay. It currently seems to be totally hit and miss - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Here are the details:

• Apple iPhone 13 mini
  • Tried using 2 different genuine Apple Lightning cables, and 1 cheap cable, connected using the USB-A port.
  • When plugging in the phone, the Apple CarPlay icon on the MG4 screen momentarily turns white, then greys out again.
  • If I try to press the greyed-out button, a message, “Reconnect, retry after authorization” appears on the screen.
  • The “Allow CarPlay While Locked” options is active in the iPhone‘s settings.
  • Sometimes it works first time, and on other occasions it takes 5+ attempts of plugging in/unplugging the phone before it’ll work (very frustrating!)
  • Phone always charges, even if it doesn’t connect to CarPlay.
Has anyone else experienced this issue? Which cables have you used? Has anybody managed to solve the problem?

Thanks very much.
coincidentally I have the exact same thing with our gen 2 zs..our first gen 1 worked flawlessly. If the mg4 also has it, it seems to me to be a software problem.

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I will try some of the suggestions once I get back home on the weekend.

I’ll give an Amazon basics cable a try, and see how it goes. Will also check the lightning socket on the iPhone for fluff/debris etc!
Ive got mine working automatically via a wireless carplay dongle. I got it on Jan 20th for my birthday & had issues getting it to start. Another member yesterday gave me a tip which has cracked it. Basically you plug it into the usual slot, pair it on your mobiles Bluetooth. Then open safari & input a code which takes you to a settings & update the dongle page. I was advised to select “delay start time” which Id set to zero, and increase it, I did today to 60 seconds (the max) and now I get in my car, set off as normal & boom 💥 apple carplay starts automatically & comes on screen. The dongle cost me £28 delivered & I will try & post my reciept pic incase you want one 👍. Im on here looking for the guy that helped me yesterday to thank him. UPDATE! Unable to find receipt pic, search MG4 wireless CarPlay on Ali express.

What's important is the speed the USB is intended for. It must be USB 2.0 or above. The USB plug should Not have a white insert.

i started getting random faults, screen goes blank, or yesterday i was on my first long drive e, a few messages came in,, they were read to me, great as expected, asked if id ike to reply but the car / microphone wouldn't pick up what i said. oddly it did when i eventually pulled into services as i needed to reply to those messages.
Another odd thing, if im using ApplyCar play i can't use the car DAB,, so have to stream via phone, that's fine until i dropped out of signal a few times, so had no music. in my Van, a VW T6 i can use CarPlay (for nav, messages etc) but i can utilise the in van DAB radio.

Am i missing something?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel