Are Aldi car park 22kw chargers free?

Alun26

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Visited my local Aldi today,and noticed a couple of 22kW chargers in the car park. Anyone know if these are free vend as I can't see any info on Aldi website?

Visited my local Aldi today,and noticed a couple of 22kW chargers in the car park. Anyone know if these are free vend as I can't see any info on Aldi website?
Hi Alun26,

If you already know this please accept my apologies, free or fee paying I can't comment on but if they are AC chargers ( all 22kwh chargers I have came across were AC) you can ONLY draw a maximum of 7kwh from them as the MG ZS EV can only charge up to 7kwh on AC.

It is only when charging from a DC source (CCS) that you can draw up to 80kwh if you are lucky, average max when using CCS is usually about 40-50kwh in my experience.

Regards

Frank

Yes they are 7kw destination chargers and are free to use they only charge for the 50kw rapid chargers if you are lucky enough to find a store with one

My local Aldi has them but are not free.

So the pod point over the road in tesco are free but the pod point in aldi are not.

So I park in Tesco, do some shopping there, walk over to aldi, shop there, then walk back to my car in tesco.

We have had a brand new Lidl built about 1.5 miles from where I live, it has got a Pod point 50kw rapid charger. They charge 25pkw iirc.

Yes they are 7kw destination chargers and are free to use they only charge for the 50kw rapid chargers if you are lucky enough to find a store with one
We have a new Aldi beside us and the chargers are Shell recharge ( NewMotion) units 22kwh. They are not free, they are not as signage on carpark states, ‘ just plug in and go shop’ You will require a card to use these units. When I asked in store this was the case, they stated you needed a card and it was not free. I stated this was a new store and the signage is wrong. This was not a just plug in and go system.

We have had a brand new Lidl built about 1.5 miles from where I live, it has got a Pod point 50kw rapid charger. They charge 25pkw iirc.
Most Lidl Rapids are now 28p/kWh, which is excellent in comparison to most similar. I got the full 50kW on my last two uses so although it's not at the car's maximum it is still quick for a destination charge.

Early charging experience (week 3) in Aldi - believed the "Just plug in and go shop" sign. Plugged in and it started charging. Returned to car, would not release cable. Rang helpline - which is Shell in the Netherlands - advice was "ask store to pull the charger fuse out". Store manager and staff had no training in the EV chargers, though allowed me in the main electrical plant room - but no obvious breaker for the chargers.

My Plan A: Wait until full charged and it will release. Wife's Plan A: Read manual and learn about the emergency charge cable release. Wife's plan works (again).

Though did get a fine from the firm who manage Aldi car parks for £70, waived after the store manager vouched for us. Oddly... not tried charging at Aldi again.

Question: If you have the Shell recharge card does this work OK?

Early charging experience (week 3) in Aldi - believed the "Just plug in and go shop" sign. Plugged in and it started charging. Returned to car, would not release cable. Rang helpline - which is Shell in the Netherlands - advice was "ask store to pull the charger fuse out". Store manager and staff had no training in the EV chargers, though allowed me in the main electrical plant room - but no obvious breaker for the chargers.

My Plan A: Wait until full charged and it will release. Wife's Plan A: Read manual and learn about the emergency charge cable release. Wife's plan works (again).

Though did get a fine from the firm who manage Aldi car parks for £70, waived after the store manager vouched for us. Oddly... not tried charging at Aldi again.

Question: If you have the Shell recharge card does this work OK?
I tried both an Octopus Electroverse card (which covers Shell Recharge) and a Shell Recharge fob last week at their new Llay store. The charger flashed red (error) both times.

I tried both an Octopus Electroverse card (which covers Shell Recharge) and a Shell Recharge fob last week at their new Llay store. The charger flashed red (error) both times.
Wonko: Thanks

Following my Aldi experience I got the Shell Recharge card but have not needed to test this in Aldi yet - I guess I need to be adventurous and give it a go.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom