Are you happy with your MG4?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Total voters
I would be, if I had it, I was involved in an accident (not my fault) early November, after only having the car for just over a month, apparently the repair shop are still waiting for some of the parts.

Very frustrated.
Did your dealer give you a replacement car?

I really enjoy and brag about my mg4. I like the fact that I don’t need to consentrate on the central screen and control things from my steering wheel and levers. It drives great. So smooth. I have the volcanic orange, I get plenty of compliments.
I just don’t like the MG4 think speak when it comes to communicating with MG. ( “Nothing to see here, these are not the droids you are looking for “).

I'm enjoying the drive, but unless MG and my local dealership buck their ideas up I won't be buying from either again. I have an expectation that I am being given accurate information on the work being done on my car. Am I being unrealistic?

I'm enjoying the drive, but unless MG and my local dealership buck their ideas up I won't be buying from either again. I have an expectation that I am being given accurate information on the work being done on my car. Am I being unrealistic?
No your not being unrealistic, they should do, exactly what they say they've done, simple's. But as they've been caught out on here telling blatant lies, then who knows. 🤔🙄

Last edited:
7000 miles and 7 months in, and I still look forward to the drive, every single time I take it out.

The buzz of having so much power has simply not worn off.

The best thing, is just knowing the potential under your right foot, should it be requested.

Still without doubt, one of the most practical cars I have owned in recent years.

Easy to drive, spacious, comfortable, and quiet, it gets on with the business of just being a car.

The suspension is perfectly judged for our quite awful (in places) British roads.

Great control and an entertaining Chassis at anything up to 7 tenths.

Start pushing on after that and the weight of the car does start to make itself felt.

Fit and finish is still excellent, although I would have preferred any surface material instead of Piano Black.

It's a pain to look after and shows up every mark along with being very easy to scratch, despite my best efforts.

No rattles or breakages of any trim whatsoever along with one of the nicest steering wheels I've held in any car.

I was initially very dissapointed with the stereo until I discovered the Virtual Subwoofer and Equaliser.

Now I'm very happy with the sound reproduction I can receive.
Spotify through Android Auto, all commanded by my voice, is my go to.

Since my R46 update, I am pleased to see that my biggest gripe of the ACC gap being too small, is now more acceptable to me on its widest setting.

The ACC will now also obey the speed requested of it, and not slow dramatically in the curves like it used to.

The X Power vibe debacle, is for all intents and purposes, eliminated for me since I upped the tyre pressures to the maximum recommended, which is 41psi.

My change of tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 5's have also improved every aspect of the driving experience for me, with grip in the wet being the most notable improvement.

I had an external temperature sensor replaced due to it going bad, which put me in the hands of the dealer network.

Not pretty, but it was fixed quickly.

The FULL debacle can be seen here....

The rear camera is also due to be replaced soon, but apart from that, fingers crossed, nothing else has failed.

The regular and common software glitches notwithstanding, and turning off the LKA at the start of every journey, the car has exceeded all my expectations.

As a side note, if I do forget to switch off LKA, since the update, it does intervene much less than it did.

So in summary,
It looks good, goes well, and gets more attention out and about than I expected.

It's practical, easy to drive, easy to park, spacious, quiet, and goes like a stabbed rat when required.

I have never personally stabbed a rat.
Quite hard to sneak up on in my experience.🤣

Cheap as chips to run and own, compared with any comparable horsepowerd ICE car I have ever owned. EVER.

(£2000 in one month, in petrol alone, on a two week 'driving' holiday for my M5 Touring in 2012)

I am happy to recommend this car to anyone looking for a "budget" Performance EV.

Budget my arse.

Cost me 35k because I could not wait and wanted it last week.🤣

No regrets though, as I can see me doing at least 3 years with this car, which believe me, if you knew me, is quite simply, a bloody miracle!

20231115_174818.jpg

Last edited:
7000 miles and 7 months in, and I still look forward to the drive every single time I take it out.

The buzz of having so much power has simply not worn off.

The best thing is just knowing the potential under your right foot, should it be requested.

Still without doubt, one of the most practical cars I have owned in recent years.

Easy to drive, spacious, comfortable and quiet, it gets on with the business of just being a car.

The suspension is perfectly judged for our quite awful (in places) British roads.

Great control and an entertaining Chassis at anything up to 7 tenths.

Start pushing on after that and the weight of the car does start to make itself felt.

Fit and finish is still excellent, although I would have preferred any surface material instead of Piano Black.

It's a pain to look after and shows up every mark along with being very easy to scratch, despite my best efforts.

No rattles or breakages of any trim whatsoever along with one of the nicest steering wheels I've held in any car.

I was initially very disappointed with the stereo until I discovered the Virtual Subwoofer and Equaliser.

Now I'm very happy with the sound reproduction I can receive.
Spotify through Android Auto all commanded by Voice is my go to.

Since my R46 update I am pleased to see that my biggest gripe of the ACC gap being too small, is now more acceptable to me on its widest setting.

The ACC will now also obey the speed requested of it and not slow dramatically in the curves like it used to.

The X Power vibe debacle is for all intents and purposes eliminated for me since I upped the tyre pressures to the maximum recommended, which is 41psi.

My change of tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 5's have also improved every aspect of the driving experience for me, with grip in the wet being the most notable improvement.

I had an external temperature sensor replaced due to it going bad, which put me in the hands of the dealer network.

Not pretty, but it was fixed quickly.

The FULL debacle can be seen here....

The rear camera is also due to be replaced soon, but apart from that, fingers crossed, nothing else has failed.

The regular and common software glitches notwithstanding, and turning off the LKA at the start of every journey, the car has exceeded all my expectations.

As a side note, if I do forget to switch off LKA, since the update, it does intervene much less than it did.

So in summary,
It looks good, goes well, and gets more attention out and about than I expected.

It's practical, easy to drive, easy to park, spacious, quiet, and goes like a stabbed rat when required.

I have never personally stabbed a rat.
Quite hard to sneak up on in my experience.🤣

Cheap as chips to run and own, compared with any comparable horsepowerd ICE car I have ever owned. EVER.

(£2000 in one month, in petrol alone, on a two week 'driving' holiday for my M5 Touring in 2012)

I am happy to recommend this car to anyone looking for a "budget" Performance EV.

Budget my arse.

Cost me 35k because I could not wait and wanted it last week.🤣

No regrets though, as I can see me doing at least 3 years with this car, which believe me, if you knew me, is quite simply, a bloody miracle.

View attachment 25459
Excellent write up! 🙂👍
Car needs a wash though. 😉😀

Having done some relatively long distance drives for me (200-250) miles going on holiday last week I was pleasantly surprised to find out just how comfortable the seats are despite looking somewhat cheap. I'm prone to back problems, and not even a twinge from sitting down for a couple of hours at a time. Efficiency was also bang on wrt advertised range estimates and what the car itself predicted (3.5 miles/kwh on the way there, 4.1 on the way back due to traffic jams on the M4/M25).

Much more confidence now in attempting longer drives to Perthshire to visit my parents in a few months, albeit with an overnight stop halfway.

We're really impressed with our Trophy ER. I managed 185 miles and still had 37% and 100 miles left. Then my wife one-upped me and managed 200 miles with 44% left. It now appears to have broken into a competition! I'll never win, because I am definitely heavier-footed doing 65-70 on M/way where she is probably under 60 most of the time.

Overnight stop from Cambridge to Perthshire? I'm tempted to say, wimp, but it could be a relaxing and enjoyable holiday. Try to get overnight accommodation that has type 2 chargers.
The overnight accommodation would be at my brother's house and leeching off of his leccy. I'd do the journey in one go if it were not for the whining children though. There is no way they'd remain quiet and well behaved for the entire journey.

Did a long drive this weekend down the entire M5 on Friday and then back yesterday.

OK, This was our first long drive, so charged at home to 100% and then set off with the idea to stop at Cullumpton to recharge on the Ionity chargers. We got about a mile away and the Ionity app said all chargers were available. Great we thought and this was going to be our FIRST public charge so were nervous, anyway we were at 12% and pulled off the motorway, over the roundabout and down towards the services where we got stuck, it was absolute chaos with lorries parked all down the main access road one side so it was just single file traffic and having to allow other oncoming cars to squeeze by, the map said the chargers were at the rear of the services (Of course they had to be), so it took about 20mins to slowly make our way down through the hundreds of meandering cars.

Got the the charger bank and the app still said they were all available only for us to come round the corner to see each bay filled with non-electric cars!!!!!!!!!

So it took about 15mins to then try and get out and hoped we could reach Exeter which was just a few miles away. Got there on 8% but the chargers were all full by there was staff setting up a electric charger queue, so we were luck and was 3rd in line and within 5 mins we were shown to a charging bay. Phew!!! really getting worried we were.

Anyway, got out and plugged in and then nothing!! I am swiping my credit card and it kept telling me I was not authorised, so tried the debit car and again not authorised, tried the wife credit card and again not authorised the charger said. Out of options and now in panicky mode when the chap next to use came back and unplug here, so we asked him if there was a special way to use these chargers as it was our first time. He said no, so he tried it for us but still nothing, so he said that we should quickly pop into his space when he drives out which what we did.

Plugged in and credit card accepted first time and the electric started to flow at 150kW . Great, so off the the coffee shop and when we came back it was at 85% so we stopped and then carried on our short journey to Torbay. Relief!! and no longer a public charger virgin!!

The car was great for the journey, on the way down we kept at 70mph with ACC in the slow lane for most of the time. Very relaxing, the seats were still great.

The hotel had a few 7kW chargers so we used these during the weekend topping up to 90% just before we left.

On the way back, it was quite early (well 9am) so traffic was light and I did not intend to leave later in case it becomes gridlocked being the last day of Easter week and everyone is heading home.

On the way back I tried to keep to 70 with ACC again but there were a few dickheads on the motorway (like there always is) like the chumps who have to overtake you and then slide directly into our lane and SLOW down immediately!! Why do they do that, they have the entire motorway empty and they drive like that. Then you have the numpties who sit in the middle lane doing 50 with no traffic around them (and they are probably thinking they are a great driver) or until a massive lorry comes up behind them and then struggles to get past them causing them to slow down even move causing traffic to build up and when you get past and look in the mirror they are still there in the middle lane refusing to move over despite there are 40 cars all trying to get past them..

Anyway, I came up against one driver in a blue BMW who pulled out the slow lane without indicating just as I am along side him at 70mph and there is no traffic at all in front of him and the MG4 quickly auto brakes - thank god, any way he starts being a dick in front of me as I then pulled over into the fast lane he too pulls over, the wife got a bit scared so I checked the mirrors and with no cars behind me, so I just dropped back a bit and then floored it and moved into the middle lane and wow, the speed within 2 seconds was [edited by moderator]mph and we blasted past him. This was the first time I have even put the foot to the floor (and probably the last) but at least we left him behind probably crying that his BMW was just trounced by an MG

We did approx 3.5m/kWh on the way back and got home with 12% so the journey up the M5 was more efficient!!

Then this morning I am cleaning the car to find a stone chip on the leading each of the bonnet, it's down to the white primer/undercoart etc, so asked Chips away to quote and it's £96 to touch up or £480 for a full bonnet respray !!!!! So I am going to get a touchup bottle pen that I have found here on the forum for £11.49
Ebay 5RSJ
It's worth a try for £11 before splashing out £96.

PXL_20240408_093515326.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The overnight accommodation would be at my brother's house and leeching off of his leccy. I'd do the journey in one go if it were not for the whining children though. There is no way they'd remain quiet and well behaved for the entire journey.

That'll be nice though! And if you're plugged in for 12 hours you should get maybe 40% added to the battery.

Then this morning I am cleaning the car to find a stone chip on the leading each of the bonnet, it's down to the white primer/undercoart etc, so asked Chips away to quote and it's £96 to touch up or £480 for a full bonnet respray !!!!!

View attachment 25562
Just had an email back from Chips Away, they state

Hi

Sorry, however we don't offer Touch-Up on the Bonnet anymore. It will be just the repaint for 400 plus VAT which is a total of 480.

Thanks and regards

ChipsAway Evesham/Cheltenham

Good job I am going to have a go myself

Did a long drive this weekend down the entire M5 on Friday and then back yesterday.

OK, This was our first long drive, so charged at home to 100% and then set off with the idea to stop at Cullumpton to recharge on the Ionity chargers. We got about a mile away and the Ionity app said all chargers were available. Great we thought and this was going to be our FIRST public charge so were nervous, anyway we were at 12% and pulled off the motorway, over the roundabout and down towards the services where we got stuck, it was absolute chaos with lorries parked all down the main access road one side so it was just single file traffic and having to allow other oncoming cars to squeeze by, the map said the chargers were at the rear of the services (Of course they had to be), so it took about 20mins to slowly make our way down through the hundreds of meandering cars.

Got the the charger bank and the app still said they were all available only for us to come round the corner to see each bay filled with non-electric cars!!!!!!!!!

So it took about 15mins to then try and get out and hoped we could reach Exeter which was just a few miles away. Got there on 8% but the chargers were all full by there was staff setting up a electric charger queue, so we were luck and was 3rd in line and within 5 mins we were shown to a charging bay. Phew!!! really getting worried we were.

Anyway, got out and plugged in and then nothing!! I am swiping my credit card and it kept telling me I was not authorised, so tried the debit car and again not authorised, tried the wife credit card and again not authorised the charger said. Out of options and now in panicky mode when the chap next to use came back and unplug here, so we asked him if there was a special way to use these chargers as it was our first time. He said no, so he tried it for us but still nothing, so he said that we should quickly pop into his space when he drives out which what we did.

Plugged in and credit card accepted first time and the electric started to flow at 150kW . Great, so off the the coffee shop and when we came back it was at 85% so we stopped and then carried on our short journey to Torbay. Relief!! and no longer a public charger virgin!!

The car was great for the journey, on the way down we kept at 70mph with ACC in the slow lane for most of the time. Very relaxing, the seats were still great.

The hotel had a few 7kW chargers so we used these during the weekend topping up to 90% just before we left.

On the way back, it was quite early (well 9am) so traffic was light and I did not intend to leave later in case it becomes gridlocked being the last day of Easter week and everyone is heading home.

On the way back I tried to keep to 70 with ACC again but there were a few dickheads on the motorway (like there always is) like the chumps who have to overtake you and then slide directly into our lane and SLOW down immediately!! Why do they do that, they have the entire motorway empty and they drive like that. Then you have the numpties who sit in the middle lane doing 50 with no traffic around them (and they are probably thinking they are a great driver) or until a massive lorry comes up behind them and then struggles to get past them causing them to slow down even move causing traffic to build up and when you get past and look in the mirror they are still there in the middle lane refusing to move over despite there are 40 cars all trying to get past them..

Anyway, I came up against one driver in a blue BMW who pulled out the slow lane without indicating just as I am along side him at 70mph and there is no traffic at all in front of him and the MG4 quickly auto brakes - thank god, any way he starts being a dick in front of me as I then pulled over into the fast lane he too pulls over, the wife got a bit scared so I checked the mirrors and with no cars behind me, so I just dropped back a bit and then floored it and moved into the middle lane and wow, the speed within 2 seconds was Mach 5 and we blasted past him. This was the first time I have even put the foot to the floor (and probably the last) but at least we left him behind probably crying that his BMW was just trounced by an MG

We did approx 3.5m/kWh on the way back and got home with 12% so the journey up the M5 was more efficient!!

Then this morning I am cleaning the car to find a stone chip on the leading each of the bonnet, it's down to the white primer/undercoart etc, so asked Chips away to quote and it's £96 to touch up or £480 for a full bonnet respray !!!!! So I am going to get a touchup bottle pen that I have found here on the forum for £11.49
Ebay 5RSJ
It's worth a try for £11 before splashing out £96.

View attachment 25562
Great account 😁👍. Especially love the trouncing a BM

Aaaand I've been doing A30 from pointy end Cornwall to M5 Wolves every school holiday for the last 5 years in a 30kwh ev ( i.e. 4-5 charges each way). I would highly recommend setting out no later than 6 a.m. for that particular challenge. However, in a bigger capacity MG4 not such an issue but perhaps charge earlier in the journey rather than later.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back