Are you happy with your MG4?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Total voters
People who have had recent software updates say that the ACC has got a lot smoother.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the backside of the car too. But last week, after I'd followed an Audi EV for about 20 miles after he'd overtaken me rather aggressively, it gave me some small satisfaction to realise that when I simply sailed past him on a dual carriageway section and pulled in front of him again, he would recognise me!

It was pitch dark, and for several periods during the drive there were other cars between us, so I don't think he had any idea that the car he'd been tailgating with his headlights on half an hour ago was still in touch. (I didn't do it on purpose, it just panned out that way, but I did smirk a bit. Then a bit more when he pulled out to overtake me again on the entry ramp to the M8, taking the right lane and getting immediately held up in the traffic already on the motorway, while I took the much longer, clear left ramp and left him for dead.)

I actually find the look of the SR more aggressive: the single LED projector lens at the front is sleeker albeit less ‘premium’ and the absence of a light bar again maybe not trendy and I do like it, but I think the two separate rear lights are more sporty looking.
I’d say that a body kit for the x-power could literally just consist of a different rear roof spoiler with the option of removing the light bar and I’d be sold on its looks.
the latest R33 infotainment version improves the car’s usability and now the black emblem is slick 😅
IMG_1980.jpeg
IMG_1976.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s not as ugly in black! It’s weird to me how great they look from the front compared to the arse end. A review I watched said it was like two different people designed the car without talking to each other! To me that sums it up.

Looks like a Lamborghini from the front and back looks like the whoever did the later Honda civic type-R did it whilst taking acid.

Eye of the beholder though. Still nothing gives me quite so much joy as a car that looks that naff from the back, sporting a green stripe on the plate and can leave most petrol cars standing at lights and such. You know most petrol car drivers are thinking “WTF?”

I like the front end of the MG4 as it's got a bit of shape to it. Other EV's either have pretend radiator grills, don't get me started on the monstrosity that BMW have attached to the front of theirs, or it's a vertical semicircle whose inspiration is one of Mary Berry's cake tins.

The back of the MG4 is a bit Marmite but it's growing on me...and I like Marmite

I like the front end of the MG4 as it's got a bit of shape to it. Other EV's either have pretend radiator grills, don't get me started on the monstrosity that BMW have attached to the front of theirs, or it's a vertical semicircle whose inspiration is one of Mary Berry's cake tins.

The back of the MG4 is a bit Marmite but it's growing on me...and I like Marmite
I can remember when BMWs looked good but it is an awfully long time ago. I'm astonished they've persevered so long with ugliness and still had success.

People often come to a forum for information (sometimes before purchasing) but also to get help with issues they have. This can sometimes give the impression that there are lots of problems when, in fact, happy owners, just get on and enjoy their cars without feeling any need to discuss them. Which leaves a disproportionately large proportion of threads posted here being about problems. So let's ask the question.

I am leasing the car 2 year. For a low cost I can transport my self from A to B problemfree unless it is farther than 200 km.

There are a couple of very bad things:
LKA is totally a joke
There is a bad smell in the car from it was new, almost like someone smoked in the car or some very old material was used in sound damping material, carpets or seats.
The windows are fogging in winter unless you run defroster full all the time. It takes 5-10 minutes for climate fan to start.
I believe the under body was treated with anti corrosion and it looks incredibly bad done.
I am very happy I didn’t buy the car, I believe the price depreciation will be enormous.
As a means of transport from home to work and back, and to the grocery it works fine. I would never take it for a long haul.
So, lease for small money is OK. Buy it: No way.

I am leasing the car 2 year. For a low cost I can transport my self from A to B problemfree unless it is farther than 200 km.

There are a couple of very bad things:
LKA is totally a joke
There is a bad smell in the car from it was new, almost like someone smoked in the car or some very old material was used in sound damping material, carpets or seats.
The windows are fogging in winter unless you run defroster full all the time. It takes 5-10 minutes for climate fan to start.
I believe the under body was treated with anti corrosion and it looks incredibly bad done.
I am very happy I didn’t buy the car, I believe the price depreciation will be enormous.
As a means of transport from home to work and back, and to the grocery it works fine. I would never take it for a long haul.
So, lease for small money is OK. Buy it: No way.
I'm also on a 2 year lease 12,000 miles a year at just over £300 a month what's not to like? Someone else can have the depreciation rather than me.

I get into my wife's diesel BMW 320 and that feels like a tank compared to my MG4

I refuse to pay 70p kwh on the charge networks so looks like we'll be keeping her diesel for some time yet.

Had my MG4 SE SR for two weeks as my 3rd (sequential) EV (2 Nissan Leafs over the past 10 years. Love the extra range (more than double) love the look and sportiness. Overall, very happy... but why no reversing camera? Why no "Off" button (5 presses on the Infotainment screen to power off and then the thing turns itself back on again if you move the keys outside the car then lean into the back!) Why can't I choose to switch Lane Assist off permanently (It bleats at me a LOT on narrow Devon lanes with lines down the middle).

These are all minor gripes and I am a very long way from dissatisfied, but they're software issues which could be fixed without any hardware changes needed.

Had my MG4 SE SR for two weeks as my 3rd (sequential) EV (2 Nissan Leafs over the past 10 years. Love the extra range (more than double) love the look and sportiness. Overall, very happy... but why no reversing camera? Why no "Off" button (5 presses on the Infotainment screen to power off and then the thing turns itself back on again if you move the keys outside the car then lean into the back!) Why can't I choose to switch Lane Assist off permanently (It bleats at me a LOT on narrow Devon lanes with lines down the middle).

These are all minor gripes and I am a very long way from dissatisfied, but they're software issues which could be fixed without any hardware changes needed.
1. Reversing (and 360) camera is on Trophy trim.

2. Turning it off isn't required, just lock the car and it will turn everything off.

3. LKA is required to be on by default always by EuroNCAP requirements, you'll find almost all new cars launched since 2022 do this now. MG could make it easier to turn off again.

Whilst in general it’s a good car (apart from when the LKA is trying to kill me) I’m disappointed in it, the dealer and MG in general. Since buying the car over a year ago I’ve had a constant intermittent airbag fault. Now considering this is a critical safety system you’d think they’d concerned enough to get it back in to repair in a hurry… they’re not. It’s been in 4 times with the same fault, they tweak something and the next day the fault is back. MG Uk customer services fobbed me off, the dealer will just book me in to have another attempt at it and frankly I’m fed up of taking time off work to drive to the dealer, get someone to pick me up as courtesy cars are as good as non existent, pick the thing up with which ever random fix they’ve done this time only for the same merry go round again. It’s poor, really poor and I’ve reached the end of my tether but frankly don’t know what to do. Can’t really sell up as it’s worth less than I owe. Emailed Santander last week and they’ve not responded either so I’m at a loss.
I’ve never been so disappointed and I’ve had new cars from various marques and never had such poor service.

Took delivery of our 77kWh long range here in Australia back in November 23. I noticed after collecting it that there is a bubble in the rolled edge of the dashboard directly in front of the passenger. There is a void in the foam under the vinyl skin. The dealer acknowledged it and ordered a replacement dashboard. 3½ months later and still waiting for it to arrive.

Also, here in the Australian state of Victoria, it is mandatory (at the risk of a heavy fine), to have an EV identifying badge riveted to the middle of the front and rear number plates. My dealer had neglected to do so until I took it in and pointed it out. I've seen a few other EVs without them.

I am enjoying our MG4. It's fantastic to drive. Once I stopped wrestling with the LKA and let it show me where it thought the middle of the lane really is, I rarely get a nudge now except for odd line markings on the road. I have been suitably retrained and I'm happy to leave that feature on.

Last edited by a moderator:
To a certain extent I agree, but I've got a Merc at the moment, so I'm on a couple of Merc forums, and believe me there are some horror stories on there too, as I've no doubt there are on other forums as well. 🙂
100% agree

I’ve used various forums over the years, some of them from the more prestige car makers let’s say & there’s some nightmare stories out there

Not just cars though. I’ve been a member of an AV forum for years now, no different there, some complete horror stories.

Over the years I’ve had some nightmares myself with things I’ve paid good money for so I understand the frustration & anger people have especially if you don’t get a good after service.

Regarding MG. I can only talk from my own experience. I’m still getting to grips with it all, learning the dos & don’ts but overall a positive experience but again, I feel for those that are getting a crappy experience.

I’m finding the car to be exactly what I expected.

Good but not spectacular but for the price I’m happy.

Overall build quality seems ok, lots of the interior black plastic scratches very easily as also suffers from a few rattles.

My biggest concern is warranty issues being resolved in a timely manor without having to fight against dealer/Mg

I’m finding the car to be exactly what I expected.

Good but not spectacular but for the price I’m happy.

Overall build quality seems ok, lots of the interior black plastic scratches very easily as also suffers from a few rattles.

My biggest concern is warranty issues being resolved in a timely manor without having to fight against dealer/Mg
I’ve had the odd rattle/vibration, not constantly but on the odd occasions.

& I can see the black plastic in mine being quite marked up over the next year, just from cleaning alone

Since I’ve owned cars that now a lot have centre screens, plastics I find ( link below ) these good for wiping smears etc off. Meant for eye glasses but they still do a decent job + a lot less harsh on surfaces

1. Reversing (and 360) camera is on Trophy trim.

2. Turning it off isn't required, just lock the car and it will turn everything off.

3. LKA is required to be on by default always by EuroNCAP requirements, you'll find almost all new cars launched since 2022 do this now. MG could make it easier to turn off again.
1. I have ordered a reversing camera / dashcam which will do what I want.

2. Not turning it off seems odd to me, and now I have found the shortcut on the swipe-down screen to power off, it seems like that's a normal thing to want.

3. Yeah, but where I live, unless I turn it off, the car bleeps at me and tugs the wheel in places where there is no alternative driving line (except the ditch!) I get that it's not an MG thing, but all new cars.

Overall, I am very happy with my car, and now I've got used to its little quirks I find it a pleasure to drive.

I would be, if I had it, I was involved in an accident (not my fault) early November, after only having the car for just over a month, apparently the repair shop are still waiting for some of the parts.

Very frustrated.

I would be, if I had it, I was involved in an accident (not my fault) early November, after only having the car for just over a month, apparently the repair shop are still waiting for some of the parts.

Very frustrated.
Sorry to hear this.

It surprises me though that it’s taking this long for parts! I would have thought especially with how many MGs are on our roads they would have parts readily available for exactly this kind of thing.

Well I hope you get some good news soon. 🤞

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel