Australian MG4 pricing and some specs announced

A$38,990 is £20,844 at today's exchange rate ... add on OTR costs and you're at near enough what my SE SR (51kWh) cost me last year. :)

I wonder if MG will continue with the very fixed models. I guess it keeps manufacturing costs down a lot but it does mean that you might be preventing sales of the cheaper model as they just want that one extra bit and look else where maybe (although price wise its still very competitive at the moment)

Saw a few announcements today that give pricing and features for the Australian MG4. Not sure on the accuracy of the information but I've put a few links below.

It looks like they are launching with a configuration similar to UK Trophy spec, but with 18" wheels (which is good as I was considering a wheel upgrade if we got the smaller ones).

I'm a bit conflicted now as I had planned to get the base model with the LFP battery, but now I'm tempted by this as the pricing ($48k before on-roads) is pretty good. (the range reducing spoiler also looks good in my opinion ;))

MG4 2023 price revealed as one of Australia’s cheapest new EVs

MG confirms Australian price for the all-electric MG4 to start at $47,990

Happy to hear opinions, plus any other differences between specs anyone notices.
Well now you'll be happy that the Excite 51 is available. I called MG in Perth and they are expecting the cars in September (not August as written elsewhere).

Well now you'll be happy that the Excite 51 is available. I called MG in Perth and they are expecting the cars in September (not August as written elsewhere).
Definitely fits the bill, will see how the test drive goes.

Interesting to see the BYD Dolphin pricing was announced here today, priced to undercut the MG4 ($100 less). Seems to offer woeful performance in that spec though (and "build your dreams" plastered across the back :rolleyes:).

IMHO, the MG4 still seems to be the better option

Also looks like long lead time for delivery for BYD -

first Australian showroom arrivals between October and December 2023 (the fourth quarter), pending any delays.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-byd-dolphin-price-and-specs/

That might make my decision to go MG4.

But who knows if the projected September MG4 delivery time for East Coast will prove to be accurate ?

Interesting....

The other thing is it looks like no dealer delivery fee for the BYD ? Look at the website, do a build for the Atto, follow it through until you get a drive away price & the break up. No delivery fee & GST included as it should be.

MG have now got State based pricing up for the MG4 -

I threw together a vid on the battle between BYD Dolphin and MG4 now we have the dolphin price.... Like hell it wasn't going to be around $43k until MG4 came out a few days ago at $39k.

MG4 51kWh will charge at ~87kW rate. (UK spec says 117kW but nobody has achieved that).

It also does have Auto air conditioning, and will also do V2L at up to 7kW (using a suitable cable/adaptor - it's the resistor value which sets the limit. In other words the converter/inverter in the MG4 is essentially bi-directional).

And I've never used in-built satnav in any car - I much prefer using Google Maps via Android Auto. :)

And orange paint is available in the UK.

I don,t know the lead times of models in the land of Aus , but here in France I have been waiting 7 months with no indication from the dealer as to when it will appear. Long range sr in orange.

MG4 51kWh will charge at ~87kW rate. (UK spec says 117kW but nobody has achieved that).

It also does have Auto air conditioning, and will also do V2L at up to 7kW (using a suitable cable/adaptor - it's the resistor value which sets the limit. In other words the converter/inverter in the MG4 is essentially bi-directional).

And I've never used in-built satnav in any car - I much prefer using Google Maps via Android Auto. :)

Very interesting, thanks. Glad it does have auto A/C.... on their spec sheet here it only adds it to the Essence (Trophy basically).

Agree on Google Maps... although the Tesla maps is pretty good too, so haven't used GM in there.

Orange is only available on the Trophy in the UK iirc.... and not metallic (it's available on all models here, but have to pay $700 extra for metallic).

I don,t know the lead times of models in the land of Aus , but here in France I have been waiting 7 months with no indication from the dealer as to when it will appear. Long range sr in orange.
I guess that's because you ordered Long Range? Is that the basic spec LR, or the Trophy?

7 months is insane. They say they will be available at dealers here in Australia, in September (probably limited though).

Basic spec, there are now the three options available for immediate delivery from various dealers, but they are not local, you cannot chose the colour and you pay an extra premium, which if you or your company are leasing is fine, market forces at play?

Or... depending on the range you need, you could import a 2018 40kwh Leaf from Japan for $25k (before on-road costs in NSW). Get about 220km range.

They now mention max 88kw charge for 51kw model in Australia spec.

It seems that the 117 Kw was probably an aspirational figure punted around during development that turned out not to be practical. But it also seems that the 88 Kw is maintained long enough that total charging time to 80% is pretty much as good as it would have been with the short-lived peak at 117.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back