Auto lights always coming on ? Hillbilly hack.

My naked sensor was a bit odd at dusk, on in the shade and off again when I got into a bright area. I don't remember my previous car doing this, but it didn't have such a clear indication of whether the lights are on or off as the MG4 has. So I'm beginning to doubt myself there.

At least it's only at dusk and it's not flashing people in broad daylight any more.

One of the constant annoyances ( of many ) I find with the 4 is the stupidly keen to come on auto lights.
Only in blazing direct sunshine do they seem to stay off.

While waiting for a possible update to cure this sensitivity I discovered a pretty simple solution in the meantime.
The light sensor is in the middle of the dash under a little cover, use a plastic trim tool to gently pop it off and you'll see the actual sensor underneath.
Tried disconnecting it ( it just pulls out ) but as expected, the lights just turned on all the time then.

The cover is light permeable but dash coloured of course, so it clearly blocks a lot of the available light.

Went on a 25 mile journey with the cover removed and the lights did not come on at all :love:

Usually I would be constantly turning off the lights passing under bridges, overhanging trees, fat people blocking the sun, you name it.

It's not particularly pretty, sure, but you cant really see it from the drivers seat. If there's no update to cure this tendency, I think I'll cut a square section from the cover and glue a small piece of Perspex from the back side to let the light through.

View attachment 15742
Sir, I tip my hat to you. This has been troubling me for some weeks now. Less "auto lights" more lights on permanently. I have yet to drive it in the dark and see when the lights do "auto on" but i can always affect the sensitivity with a less opaque shade.

One of these days I might try my original cover back in the car, given the recent updates it has had. :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 491 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back