• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Auto lights always coming on ? Hillbilly hack.

It is the default setting in my car.
I do like the light coming in the dark, and auto beam, but nearly every time you start the car in the daylight they come on. It's taking me a time to sort out the default setting, but if you could explain how to cure that l would be very grateful

Thanks for sharing the above guys. Any pics of the hack / plate with light hole would be much appreciated.

Yes, it is easy to turn off Auto lights - but you need to do that every time you get into the car. Would be better if Auto lights just worked properly. :)

Yes, it is easy to turn off Auto lights - but you need to do that every time you get into the car. Would be better if Auto lights just worked properly. :)
I agree can not understand why they set it up like that, was hoping for better solution, Madness

Drill the hole 2 or 3 mm back from centre, I initially drilled mine bang on centre but had to elongate it rearwards to expose the sensor properly.
Used clear gorilla glue to fix a bit of 0.5 mm thick perspex to the rear and will level to the upper surface with another dab of glue.
You will only see it if you peer through the windscreen though so finish is not that big of a deal.

sens hole.jpg

Drill the hole 2 or 3 mm back from centre, I initially drilled mine bang on centre but had to elongate it rearwards to expose the sensor properly.
Used clear gorilla glue to fix a bit of 0.5 mm thick perspex to the rear and will level to the upper surface with another dab of glue.
You will only see it if you peer through the windscreen though so finish is not that big of a deal.

View attachment 15869
Copied your idea , not tried it out yet but hoping it improves the sensitivity. Picture not brill.

Attachments

• IMG_20230319_154350_1.jpg
    IMG_20230319_154350_1.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 316
One of the constant annoyances ( of many ) I find with the 4 is the stupidly keen to come on auto lights.
Only in blazing direct sunshine do they seem to stay off.

While waiting for a possible update to cure this sensitivity I discovered a pretty simple solution in the meantime.
The light sensor is in the middle of the dash under a little cover, use a plastic trim tool to gently pop it off and you'll see the actual sensor underneath.
Tried disconnecting it ( it just pulls out ) but as expected, the lights just turned on all the time then.

The cover is light permeable but dash coloured of course, so it clearly blocks a lot of the available light.

Went on a 25 mile journey with the cover removed and the lights did not come on at all :love:

Usually I would be constantly turning off the lights passing under bridges, overhanging trees, fat people blocking the sun, you name it.

It's not particularly pretty, sure, but you cant really see it from the drivers seat. If there's no update to cure this tendency, I think I'll cut a square section from the cover and glue a small piece of Perspex from the back side to let the light through.

View attachment 15742
Maybe 3D print a cover for it.

Copied your idea , not tried it out yet but hoping it improves the sensitivity. Picture not brill.
Good stuff, your one looks more elegant :) I actually removed the bit of perspex I had glued to the underside as the tiny bit of opacity it added was enough to swing the balance back to annoying lights on episodes :(

Going to have to stick with my exposed hole I'm afraid 😎

Good stuff, your one looks more elegant :) I actually removed the bit of perspex I had glued to the underside as the tiny bit of opacity it added was enough to swing the balance back to annoying lights on episodes :(

Going to have to stick with my exposed hole I'm afraid 😎
Not sure I have enough holes so might add a couple more if the effect is not enough.

Hello everyone, I made several 3D parts for the light sensor. They are chargeable to help me a little on the price of a 3D modeling application.

Hello everyone, I made several 3D parts for the light sensor. They are chargeable to help me a little on the price of a 3D modeling application.

This doesn't include the transparent plastic piece right? Looks like the surround only, have I got that right?

I believe what he is saying is that he has produced a new clip in surround with a hole that can be left empty or filled with a piece of transparent plastic (which is not supplied).
Exactly, it's a hole on the top to let the light throug
The piece of plastic : I cut it out of a wrapper and just put it inside.

Hi @AndyL61 - I'm interested in how effective your modification has proved to be? Is enough light getting through to stop the auto-lights coming on in the day, but still working when you want them on? Thanks.

Hi @AndyL61 - I'm interested in how effective your modification has proved to be? Is enough light getting through to stop the auto-lights coming on in the day, but still working when you want them on? Thanks.
Not had enough effect so I have put 2 more small holes in , still not enough. I think I may cut out a piece and leave just the outside "frame" and try that. If it works then stick a piece of clear film over the opening. It's still work in progress.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back