Auto lights always coming on ? Hillbilly hack.

I think I queried something similar a while ago. With Teslas, you can purchase S3XY Buttons, which are configurable and you can place them anywhere you like. It would be so useful if something similar could be conjured up for the MG4
Yes, I think they speak OBD2/Canbus and can be programmed to drive specific features, IIRC.

Like the "Stream Deck" - a range of PC peripherals that have 6, 15 or 32 buttons, each with a programmable function and its own OLED screen.
SD-Mini_Perspektive_2.png

sdmk2.png

stream-deck-xl.png
Yes, a version of that, exactly.

If anyone wants a look-see at what the cover looks like when off the car - here's mine.

1680351743580.png
1680351759332.png

1680351786054.png
1680351805078.png

1680351823426.png

I'm undecided as yet which way to go forward ... leave it off or make a cut-out. (If I make a cut-out, and a future software update improves the sensitivity for the UK market, then I might end up with auto-lights that never come on unless it's pitch black). :)

If anyone wants a look-see at what the cover looks like when off the car - here's mine.

View attachment 16481View attachment 16482
View attachment 16483View attachment 16484
View attachment 16485

I'm undecided as yet which way to go forward ... leave it off or make a cut-out. (If I make a cut-out, and a future software update improves the sensitivity for the UK market, then I might end up with auto-lights that never come on unless it's pitch black). :)
If that unlikely event happens I'll order a new cover . Can't cost a lot. 😄👍

View attachment 16485

Was it easy to remove?

Yeah ... I used a plastic spudger to lift it slightly, and then a screwdriver to properly prise it out. (It you have a hard plastic spudger then you might not need a screwdriver).

The photos show where the clips are ... the 2 clips on one side are nearest the dash, and the single clip is nearest the windscreen.

Yeah ... I used a plastic spudger to lift it slightly, and then a screwdriver to properly prise it out. (It you have a hard plastic spudger then you might not need a screwdriver).

The photos show where the clips are ... the 2 clips on one side are nearest the dash, and the single clip is nearest the windscreen.
Sounds easy enough, thanks for the explanation

View attachment 16485

I had a similar dilemma, figured that an update will likely never happen though, they'll be afraid somebody takes them to court for the lights not coming on in dimmer conditions.
Thankfully the sensitivity is pretty much spot on with the sensor in it's birthday suit (y)

I apologise for this thread because I have seen this discussed in another thread but I've been unable to find that again.

The headlights seem to be coming on in broad daylight. Even more annoyingly, they flash off and on as the car moves from shade to full sun.

Yesterday evening was very sunny, and the sun cast long shadows across the road. Between the shadows it was bright. As far as I could see, my headlights were coming on as soon as the car entered a patch of shadow and went off again when it moved into a bright patch. I've never seen a car do that before - in fact, it struck me that the automatic headlights in my last car seemed to decide when to go on in the evening (at a point that seemed reasonable to me) and then stick with it.

For context, this was happening at around six o'clock in the evening, and sunset here at this time of year is about half past eight! It was literally broad daylight.

The car has DRLs I believe, so it's not as if it needs to light itself up like a Christmas tree whenever there's a patch of shade. I seem to remember a fix being discussed that involved drilling a hole in something. I'm a bit reluctant to start drilling holes in bits of a brand new car though. Has anyone taken this issue up with their dealer?

I think you are thinking of this thread:

Thank you very much indeed. Sorry I didn't find the thread.

I've been reading the manual to try to understand how the lighting system works, but hadn't quite got my brain round it. I'll find the way to move from auto to manual operation. Is it worth telling my dealer this is an issue?

Thank you very much indeed. Sorry I didn't find the thread.

I've been reading the manual to try to understand how the lighting system works, but hadn't quite got my brain round it. I'll find the way to move from auto to manual operation. Is it worth telling my dealer this is an issue?
The dealer can't do anything about it but I suppose the more this issue is raised the more likely MG will address it.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I was thinking. If they don't know people are concerned, if everyone just hangs on in silence waiting for a software solution, how do they know they should be working on a software solution?

I see from that thread that people are finding it works simply to remove the cover entirely from the light sensor. Then you still have it if a software patch ever appears. I think I might give that a try. Not sure about drilling holes in it.

I emailed MG about this asking if there was going to be a software update and here is the reply from you know who...

Good afternoon
It is important to keep the area/s around the camera clean and clear to improve performance.
Unfortunately, it is a sensitive system and there are currently no plans to change the parameters.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back