Auto lights always coming on ? Hillbilly hack.

I've had this occur in several ICE vehicles as I've driven under bridges. I can't see this as being a problem unless you don't want to draw attention to yourself. What's of more concern to me is the efficacy of the auto-dipping headlights.

A friend of mines nephew has a 3D printer so I'm going to ask him to print a couple of the designs for me.
I'm thinking of painting the inside white to reflect the light better and cut out a piece of clear plastic and stick it underneath the top to stop dust, bugs etc. getting in.

I see from that thread that people are finding it works simply to remove the cover entirely from the light sensor. Then you still have it if a software patch ever appears. I think I might give that a try. Not sure about drilling holes in it.
That's exactly what I've done ... auto-lights now work perfectly.

That's exactly what I've done ... auto-lights now work perfectly.

Do you have any concerns about leaving the sensor exposed? I haven't looked yet, but might it be possibly simply to put a strip of sellotape over it?

I found these yesterday MG4 Light Sensor

Might get a couple of the different designs printed off and see how it goes.

View attachment 17032View attachment 17033

View attachment 17034

I wish it was possible to buy these as physical objects, for those of us without access to 3D printing.

I've had this occur in several ICE vehicles as I've driven under bridges. I can't see this as being a problem unless you don't want to draw attention to yourself. What's of more concern to me is the efficacy of the auto-dipping headlights.

You don't think it's a problem to have your car flashing its headlights on and off constantly as you drive down a tree-lined road? Three hours before sunset?

Hello everyone, I made several 3D parts for the light sensor. They are chargeable to help me a little on the price of a 3D modeling application.

How can I order the cover MG4-LUM-05. I can only see download at 0.88p but I don't have a 3d printer

Do you have any concerns about leaving the sensor exposed? I haven't looked yet, but might it be possibly simply to put a strip of sellotape over it?
sellotape will quickly discolour and curl when exposed to sunlight

You don't think it's a problem to have your car flashing its headlights on and off constantly as you drive down a tree-lined road? Three hours before sunset?
It hasn't bothered me in my car, when it is sunny then dipped headlights are not that bright.

Auto-dipping/main beam lights can be turned off in the lighting configuration. I find it works much better to do the lights manually.

I wish it was possible to buy these as physical objects, for those of us without access to 3D printing.
Maybe someone with a 3d printer can send you one?

Edit: Is there a 3d printing service near you?

How can I order the cover MG4-LUM-05. I can only see download at 0.88p but I don't have a 3d printer
@Pliskin is just selling the design, not the printed result. You would need to use a 3d printer service near you that can work with the available file formats.

There are sellotape products that don't do that. I never put ordinary sellotape near a book or a music score, but the "super clear" and "magic tape" formulations don't degrade.

It hasn't bothered me in my car, when it is sunny then dipped headlights are not that bright.

Auto-dipping/main beam lights can be turned off in the lighting configuration. I find it works much better to do the lights manually.

I certainly want to control the dipping beams myself, after having a courtesy car that left me driving into pitch darkness at the end of every section of street lights.

I was certainly bothered by what was happening the other evening! I've also noticed the lights blazing during the day when it's only been slightly cloudy. It's annoying. If taking the cover off the sensor works, I'll do that.

There are minimum ON and minimum OFF times, so I don't believe that people will think you're flashing them. If they do, then so what? What is the basis for your concern?

There are minimum ON and minimum OFF times, so I don't believe that people will think you're flashing them. If they do, then so what? What is the basis for your concern?

I don't like it. Auto headlamps have been a thing for decades. It's mature technology. How come MG can't get it to work?

I paid to download the file from that site then uploaded the files of the designs I wanted to Triple Axis - 3D Printing & Design Service - Portsmouth, Hampshire Based
Each design costed about £3.20 to have printed + shipping and “startup costs”. I’ve ordered 3 different ones and it was £19 all in

Thank you, that's very helpful.

Just a thought - does this sensor have any link to the auto main beam? Wouldn’t want someone removing it then finding that the main beam plays up.

I think the main beam is linked to the Front View Camera Module on the windscreen rather than light sensor. That's why auto main beam is disabled (amongst other features) when the FVCM is blocked, such as with frost/snow.

I think the main beam is linked to the Front View Camera Module on the windscreen rather than light sensor. That's why auto main beam is disabled (amongst other features) when the FVCM is blocked, such as with frost/snow.
Ah, that’s good, at least it wouldn’t be affected by the sensor

If anyone wants to sell me one that they've had printed, I'm interested.

A small cloud came over today, and my car acted like there was a total eclipse.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back