Auto lights always coming on ? Hillbilly hack.

Got some testing to do. Shame the sun won't make an appearance for about 2 weeks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-21-22-33-22-66_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-21-22-33-22-66_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 148
One of the constant annoyances ( of many ) I find with the 4 is the stupidly keen to come on auto lights.
Only in blazing direct sunshine do they seem to stay off.

While waiting for a possible update to cure this sensitivity I discovered a pretty simple solution in the meantime.
The light sensor is in the middle of the dash under a little cover, use a plastic trim tool to gently pop it off and you'll see the actual sensor underneath.
Tried disconnecting it ( it just pulls out ) but as expected, the lights just turned on all the time then.

The cover is light permeable but dash coloured of course, so it clearly blocks a lot of the available light.

Went on a 25 mile journey with the cover removed and the lights did not come on at all :love:

Usually I would be constantly turning off the lights passing under bridges, overhanging trees, fat people blocking the sun, you name it.

It's not particularly pretty, sure, but you cant really see it from the drivers seat. If there's no update to cure this tendency, I think I'll cut a square section from the cover and glue a small piece of Perspex from the back side to let the light through.

View attachment 15742
you got a :ROFLMAO: for that due to the 'fat people blocking sun', sorry, a rather mean (and fat-ist) but lol.
Nice work; yeah, you's have thought they'd have doen a bit more road testing with different opacity covers before launching that part.

you got a :ROFLMAO: for that due to the 'fat people blocking sun', sorry, a rather mean (and fat-ist) but lol.
Nice work; yeah, you's have thought they'd have doen a bit more road testing with different opacity covers before launching that part.
As Andy said in his last post, it does work perfectly once exposed to direct light, so it's as if they didn't take into account the effect a cover would have :unsure:

No it's only big enough to expose the sensor completely. I can always pop it off and vacuum if it came to it but I don't see that as a problem.
Just been on flea bay and bought some clear round stickers, so will give that a try as a way of covering the hole. Should do the job and only 99p. 👍

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One of my pals has asked me to print the files they have bought from Cults3D. My day job is a mechanical engineer and I've printed off a variety of things over the years... so if you find a local willing to print this for you, be aware of a few things:
1) PLA is easiest/cheapest to print. But it will warp worse than Bradley Wiggins' Banana in the hot humid conditions in your car. I'd give it two weeks lifespan. The photo is of my test print in PLA. Will not be used in anger!
2) ASA is probably the best material to use (using non-pro plastics) as its UV stable and high heat resistance (up to 93oC according to Prusa)
3) To seal the window I'd recommend 3M helicopter tape. Its strong.
mg4lightsensor.jpg

One of my pals has asked me to print the files they have bought from Cults3D. My day job is a mechanical engineer and I've printed off a variety of things over the years... so if you find a local willing to print this for you, be aware of a few things:
1) PLA is easiest/cheapest to print. But it will warp worse than Bradley Wiggins' Banana in the hot humid conditions in your car. I'd give it two weeks lifespan. The photo is of my test print in PLA. Will not be used in anger!
2) ASA is probably the best material to use (using non-pro plastics) as its UV stable and high heat resistance (up to 93oC according to Prusa)
3) To seal the window I'd recommend 3M helicopter tape. Its strong.
mg4lightsensor.jpg
Yeh, I’ve done my test ones in PLA. Last time I used ASA filament, I didn’t have much success. Do you have any you would recommend?

Hello everyone, I made several 3D parts for the light sensor. They are chargeable to help me a little on the price of a 3D modeling application.

Hi Pliskin
I'm based near Aberdeen and one of my friends has asked me to print your design out. I will report back on results. I've tried PLA+ but will do ASA as I found PLA warped a LOT inside a car, and the dash is a really exposed area.
If (once!) I get some decent prints coming I am happy to do more prints for others in the UK to save on postage faff. But only if you agree that's cool? Did you want to print these yourself and sell at the going "market" rate which is c. £15-20 for all six?

Other interested parties please be warned that I massively respect Pliskin's intellectual property so will only print once I know you have paid his extremely reasonable Cults3D fee.

Bon Accord! (also our Town Motto on the Coat of Arms).

Hi Pliskin
I'm based near Aberdeen and one of my friends has asked me to print your design out. I will report back on results. I've tried PLA+ but will do ASA as I found PLA warped a LOT inside a car, and the dash is a really exposed area.
If (once!) I get some decent prints coming I am happy to do more prints for others in the UK to save on postage faff. But only if you agree that's cool? Did you want to print these yourself and sell at the going "market" rate which is c. £15-20 for all six?

Other interested parties please be warned that I massively respect Pliskin's intellectual property so will only print once I know you have paid his extremely reasonable Cults3D fee.

Bon Accord! (also our Town Motto on the Coat of Arms).
Respect for your offer and your respect for Pliskin's IP. 👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel