Auto lights always coming on ? Hillbilly hack.

I'm thinking, you could possibly cut the shape out of a used plastic food container or something similar 🤔

I'm thinking, maybe a clear binder cover, a thin one that got a bit beat up but maybe has a couple of square inches somewhere. And Superglue.
I've used laminator pouches before now when I've needed some clear plastic which I've run through the laminator empty.

I got my MG4 recently and this issue is super annoying. Driving up a road with light and shade sees the display pop in and out of night mode. I set the dash to dark style but it doesn't stop the lights and android auto from doing the same.
You can just turn off auto lights with a flick of the light switch, assuming you know that.

You can just turn off auto lights with a flick of the light switch, assuming you know that.

That's been my work-round until now. Often I've parked up before dark, and when I've gone back to the car it's been dark and the lights default to auto on start-up which is fine. If you're still driving when it genuinely gets dark, you have to remember to turn the lights on, like back in the day when auto lights didn't exist.

It's just one more annoyance I don't need, like the radio coming on and the auto-lock always engaging and the damn LKA needing turned off every time. It's good to have a permanent fix for this one.

That's been my work-round until now. Often I've parked up before dark, and when I've gone back to the car it's been dark and the lights default to auto on start-up which is fine. If you're still driving when it genuinely gets dark, you have to remember to turn the lights on, like back in the day when auto lights didn't exist.

It's just one more annoyance I don't need, like the radio coming on and the auto-lock always engaging and the damn LKA needing turned off every time. It's good to have a permanent fix for this one.
Posted this morning 👍

If anyone else wants to get sensor covers printed I downloaded the design files from Here and they cost 0.86p, I then uploaded to Midlands 3D who were excellent and not expensive.

What did they print the covers with? I remember some discussion before about it needing something that could stand being in a position that will get very hot very frequently when the car is parked in direct sunlight. Or maybe it was simply that light itself will degrade inferior material.

What did they print the covers with? I remember some discussion before about it needing something that could stand being in a position that will get very hot very frequently when the car is parked in direct sunlight. Or maybe it was simply that light itself will degrade inferior material.
Printed I’m told in “Nylon PA12 MJF“ which means nothing to me. I checked before ordering and the printers said this material should stand up to being in sunlight just fine so you should be fine for those 2 days this year 😬

You should also consider that the original cover is translucent, so if the new cover isn't then even with holes in it may not work as well as required.

You should also consider that the original cover is translucent, so if the new cover isn't then even with holes in it may not work as well as required.
They work very well

It's definitely an annoying workaround and just mind boggling its needed a year into production. I would hope a software fix could rectify the issue. Never had an issue like this with other cars that have automatic headlights. I also wonder if it breaks other things like beam dipping - I haven't driven my car in darkness yet to know.

It's definitely an annoying workaround and just mind boggling its needed a year into production. I would hope a software fix could rectify the issue. Never had an issue like this with other cars that have automatic headlights. I also wonder if it breaks other things like beam dipping - I haven't driven my car in darkness yet to know.
Completely ridiculous. This tech is so basic and it should just work as it has on every car I’ve owned in the last 20 years. It’s like bringing a car out where the indicators don’t function as they should, you just can’t do that.

And don't bother posting mine until you have Siteguru's ready to go too, Crawfy - make one trip.
Already done, posted early this morning. 👍

It's such a simple hardware fix, too. They must know about this. Why don't they just re-design the sensor cover, if sorting the software is too much trouble?
I think this is because the team working on these things is too small and swamped with trying to get all the new tech working.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 492 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back