Auto lights always coming on ? Hillbilly hack.

Yeh, I’ve done my test ones in PLA. Last time I used ASA filament, I didn’t have much success. Do you have any you would recommend?
I use Nexberg ASA, noz 240, bed 100, on a carefully setup Prusa Mini+ on a concrete paver inside an enclosure with non draft ventilation. The filament reel is inside a Sunlu heated sealed dehyrator box at 40oC. Seems good for me, ymmv. Just printing a test to make sure everything is dialled in. I use smooth PEI sheet with Pritt stick release agent.

Now fitted the clear sticker over the cut out. Works perfectly and no dust ingress.

Attachments

• IMG_20230429_164629_1.jpg
    IMG_20230429_164629_1.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 221
With the bright sunlight (finally) in the mornings, my auto lights gone on and off all the time when passing shadows caused my trees, etc. Decided to print off and try the 3d printed ASA covers and see if they deform or not.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-16-20-13-34-94_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-16-20-13-34-94_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 165
And if the plastic deteriorates with exposure to the heat and UV light.
The other option is drilling a hole in the plastic which others have done. Only reason I haven’t is if MG eventually recalibrate the sensor and I would need to get a replacement cover. Although, it’s unlikely MG will 😂

I got my MG4 recently and this issue is super annoying. Driving up a road with light and shade sees the display pop in and out of night mode. I set the dash to dark style but it doesn't stop the lights and android auto from doing the same.

I just spent a little while this afternoon prising the cover off my light sensor. I managed it without breaking anything. I have fashioned a temporary dust-cover using a bit of polythene and "super-clear" Sellotape, which doesn't degrade in light the way the normal stuff does. We'll see how long it lasts! Pro tip. It looks really, really naff.

Going forward, I hope @TrullT will be able to produce 3D printed covers from Pliskin's file. Failing that, I'll drill a hole in the original cover as others have indicated. Supposedly, this does the trick.

I just spent a little while this afternoon prising the cover off my light sensor. I managed it without breaking anything. I have fashioned a temporary dust-cover using a bit of polythene and "super-clear" Sellotape, which doesn't degrade in light the way the normal stuff does. We'll see how long it lasts! Pro tip. It looks really, really naff.

Going forward, I hope @TrullT will be able to produce 3D printed covers from Pliskin's file. Failing that, I'll drill a hole in the original cover as others have indicated. Supposedly, this does the trick.
I have a couple of spare 3d printed covers, I had 3 made, 2 left over. Choice of designs

IMG_0135.jpeg
IMG_0138.jpeg

£6 plus postage which I think would be £1.15

I'll take the one on the right if @Rolfe is having the left one.

PM me your bank details / preferred payment method and I'll arrange (and also give you my address details). :)

(I'm keeping the original intact in case MG ever get around to sorting the sensitivity). ;)

Ooh, can I have the one on the left? Do you take PayPal?

I'll take the one on the right if @Rolfe is having the left one.

PM me your bank details / preferred payment method and I'll arrange (and also give you my address details). :)

(I'm keeping the original intact in case MG ever get around to sorting the sensitivity). ;)
Yup, that’s fine with me. I’ll DM you payment details and you can reply with addresses. I’ll post tomorrow

Yup, that’s fine with me. I’ll DM you payment details and you can reply with addresses. I’ll post tomorrow
I haven’t got round to doing that yet, I’m still hunting for appropriate material

Anyone fancy 3d printing clear replacement covers for the light sensor housing? :)

Although a square of clear, sticky-back plastic may do the job of covering the sensor to protect it from dust/water ingress. :)
I could probably knock something up, and I've had some experience printing transparent filament. Due to the layer lines of a 3D print it is more opaque than clear, but it would allow more light through than the standard cover.

I could probably knock something up, and I've had some experience printing transparent filament. Due to the layer lines of a 3D print it is more opaque than clear, but it would allow more light through than the standard cover.
Got to end of thread and seen that someone has already designed a cover.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 471 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back