Balancing Charge with Octopus Intelligent and Ohme and MG4 Trophy

dwoop

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Anyone with experience of Octopus Intelligent Go / Ohme / MG4 Trophy?

Just had the Ohme Home Pro installed last week and using Octopus Intelligent Pro which is working fine.

I want to do a balancing charge - I am guessing, I just set the car to charge to 100% and dial in the correct % on the Ohme to take me to 100 (or perhaps a bit more than the the precise amount to 100%)?
Would that then keep the charge on for long enough whilst it does the balancing?

Cheers

Using the Zappi on Intelligent I find that Octopus shuts down the Zappi before a full balance charge is completed on my SR SE. This happens even when I choose to add more charge than needed to get to 100%.

To be absolutely sure it completes a balance charge I start a bump charge at 23.30 as long as I know it will be finished well before 05.30.

Just add an extra 5-10% or so to what you need to get to 100%. This allows some extra time for balance at the end.

Last edited:

Only change i’ve made is disabling the settings in the attached image.

Attachments

• IMG_1951.png
    IMG_1951.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1952.png
    IMG_1952.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 82
Anyone using the Ohme specifically? How do you get a balancing charge done?
I go for 100% on the car, and required +10% on the Ohme...
That way it will certainly continue to give power, and has the small chance of giving bonus cheap electric before 1130

Just had the Ohme Home Pro installed last week and using Octopus Intelligent Pro which is working fine.

I want to do a balancing charge - I am guessing, I just set the car to charge to 100% and dial in the correct % on the Ohme to take me to 100 (or perhaps a bit more than the the precise amount to 100%)?
Would that then keep the charge on for long enough whilst it does the balancing?

Cheers
I have an MG XPower and Ohme ePod. I have set my charge to 80% with my MG App, (I don't do many miles) I plug the cable in, tell the Ohme charger App that MG has taken over and the charge starts. When it finishes I leave it plugged in and it seems to balance the different EV cells, at this time it is not using any power according to my Octopus App.

Cheers
I'd charge to 100% on the Ohme with Octopus as normal then unplug from that and connect the granny charger to make sure it gets all the time it needs to complete the balance. You could even plug the granny charger in overnight on the Octopus whole house cheap slot if you're worried about cost, but a balance phase will be pennies either way.

I have an MG XPower and Ohme ePod. I have set my charge to 80% with my MG App, (I don't do many miles) I plug the cable in, tell the Ohme charger App that MG has taken over and the charge starts. When it finishes I leave it plugged in and it seems to balance the different EV cells, at this time it is not using any power according to my Octopus App.
You can't balance charge at 80%, it must be 100% full and stopped charging of it's own accord before it can start the balance phase.

As people have said above. Set around 5% to 10% extra to what you need to add to get to 100% and that will do it. Been doing this for 7 months now and never had an issue

You can't balance charge at 80%, it must be 100% full and stopped charging of it's own accord before it can start the balance phase.
Not true, the bms will equalise all the cells to whatever you set the charge limit to, either in car or app (as long as you leave it plugged in) for up to an hour after it has charged to set level. 👍

Related question about Ohme. I like the small footprint and design, and would like to get one (untethered), but the data sheet says it’s not compatible with solar! Ohms website says they’re “working on this for the next model”. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with Ohme and Solar with the current models?

Cheers
Go with a bit more , keep 1 schedule on the ohme and change the % to 10-20 % over that needed

Not true, the bms will equalise all the cells to whatever you set the charge limit to, either in car or app (as long as you leave it plugged in) for up to an hour after it has charged to set level. 👍
See extract from the MG4 manual....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-10-19-49-29-32_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-10-19-49-29-32_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 59
Related question about Ohme. I like the small footprint and design, and would like to get one (untethered), but the data sheet says it’s not compatible with solar! Ohms website says they’re “working on this for the next model”. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with Ohme and Solar with the current models?
Hi, I have an untethered Ohme ePod and a solar panel array that puts out 3kW on a sunny day. The ePod uses 7.2 kW so the maximum I will use when charging my MG XPower (if all other devices are switched off) is 4.2kW. After April 1st I will make about 70p per kWh generated (3x70p) -£2.10 per hour) and the charging will cost me (4.2x27p) - £1.13 per hour.
This will depend on the sun shining all day so if the software is updated to allow the Ohme ePod to switch on and off when the sun goes behind a cloud the above scenario will be easier to achieve but either way I am making money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have an untethered Ohme ePod and a solar panel array that puts out 3kW on a sunny day. The ePod uses 7.2 kW so the maximum I will use when charging my MG XPower (if all other devices are switched off) is 4.2kW. After April 1st I will make about 70p per kWh generated (3x70p) -£2.10 per hour) and the charging will cost me (4.2x27p) - £1.13 per hour.
This will depend on the sun shining all day so if the software is updated to allow the Ohme ePod to switch on and off when the sun goes behind a cloud the above scenario will be easier to achieve but either way I am making money.
I thought Octopus paid something around 15p/kWh if you export your solar generated? As IO Go is 7.5p/kWh you are better of charging at this and exporting all your solar???

I thought Octopus paid something around 15p/kWh if you export your solar generated? As IO Go is 7.5p/kWh you are better of charging at this and exporting all your solar???
There are rules around which boosted export tariffs you can use...
Not totally sure, as I don't have Solar or a Battery, but I think IO is fine with the 15p, but normal Go is blocked from the 15p and gets a reduced export rate.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back