Basic (standard) or long range

Baldytone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi Guys, I’m very interested in the MG4 ev. I’ve done quite a lot of research and still not sure which ones for me (standard or long range). I’ve been put off slightly by the battery on the LR, some make it sound dangerous! And the fact that you can only charge to 80%. I generally only do short trips, with the occasional 180 -200 mile trips. Can anyone please give me some advice. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can charge the LR battery to 100% whenever you want to ... it's just not recommended to leave it sitting at 100% for days on end.

In winter even the LR battery may not make that 180 - 200 mile journey in one go. So if you're needing to stop for a charge anyway then the SR battery may well still work out OK. It really depends on whether the extra £2.5k (or whatever the price difference is between the SE SR and SE LR) is worth it for peace of mind.

I've just had a weekend away ... almost 160 miles each way. Each time I charged my SE SR to 100%, did a recharge stop en-route (from about 43% to about 85% each time) and arrived at the destination each time with ~33% remaining. (I couldn't do that journey without needing a pit stop anyway, so I use the opportunity to do a rapid charge).

And if you're serious about the MG4, don't forget to look up the Affinity scheme - you could make some good savings with it.

As @siteguru says, no problem at all charging the LR to 100%, do it whenever you need to and there's no danger or risk, it is perfectly safe.

It is - as he said - whether the extra range (and faster rapid charging 140kW vs 90kW) is worth it for the price. SR is a fine car too.

Bear in mind you cannot get the Trophy spec with SR in the UK.

Also bear in mind winter range decreases by around 30% on both models.

The is of the type of battery is over-hyped. Both will last a long time but management of the LFP battery is easier. I went for the Trophy because of the extras not available in the SE. Ignore the battery and look at the other specs to see if you need/would like them:

Range: long/longer/even longer
360°Cameras: Yes or no
And so on.

To me the cameras were the essential. If the SE had the cameras I would have considered it further.

I bought the Standard Range primarily for commuting thinking that I'd do occasional 200mile trips to see family in our other car, an efficient diesel. In the end, I've used the MG4 for those longer trips too as stopping for a quick top up charge is just not an issue at all. I read some advice saying buy the car that has the range that suits the majority of your journeys - and I think that's cracking advice.

Hi Guys, I’m very interested in the MG4 ev. I’ve done quite a lot of research and still not sure which ones for me (basic or long range). I’ve been put off slightly by the battery on the LR, some make it sound dangerous! And the fact that you can only charge to 80%. I generally only do short trips, with the occasional 180 -200 mile trips. Can anyone please give me some advice. Thanks.

The LR battery is not dangerous, someone has been reading too much Daily Mail for goodness sake! Sure, the SR battery is even safer, but compared to having an ICE car the LR is positively danger-free.

The SR is easier to manage on a day to day basis, but I have a feeling that LR owners soon develop a modus operandi that they follow without having to worry too much about it. If you feel you need the range of the LR, simply go for it.

I chose the SR because it covers my daily range very adequately. In winter I seldom do a round trip of more than 100 miles in the day, and even with the reduced winter range it's doing fine. I felt that on the infrequent occasions when I was going further I'd have to stop to charge anyway, so what the hell.

Now that isn't entirely true. I have a regular trip of 186 miles to stay with a friend, and I realised that I could do that in one go in the LR but not in the SR. But then again, I probably only go once or twice a year, so it didn't seem to matter too much. (Slight trepidation in that I'm scheduled to do this on 23rd December, the Saturday before Christmas when chargers will be busy, but I'm sure I'll get there.)

Also on a longer trip of 450 miles I did three charging stops, whereas with the LR I could have managed with two. But then, how often am I going to do that? It was all quite the adventure, and the time between charging stops was still fairly long and I was glad of the break.

So on the whole, for me the LR would have been a bit more convenient on a handful of days in the year. But on the other hand I like the simplicity of the SR battery, and paying an extra £2,500 for range I was only going to use once in a blue moon didn't really seem sensible.

The SR is easier to manage on a day to day basis, but I have a feeling that LR owners soon develop a modus operandi that they follow without having to worry too much about it. If you feel you need the range of the LR, simply go for it.
I disagree about the "easier to manage" bit - the LR is totally simple to manage on a day-to-day basis. I simply have my charge limit set to 80% and plug in and forget about it, then when I want 100% I change it the night before and it charges up fully. This is perfectly simple.

I purchased the MG4 Trophy LR around 2-months ago, my first EV (have had a couple of hybrids previously). I mainly use the car for short journeys, as work only a few miles from home, with perhaps 6 long trips per year to visit family and summer get-aways. I took the car on its first long trip a couple of weeks ago, Leicester to Prestatyn in North Wales, and then back home again (approx 140 miles each way). Car was at 100% on leaving and arrived at destination with 30% left, plugged into a fast charger in public car park and within the hour the car was back to 100% (charged 69p per KWH).

I considered the SR model but wanted the extras that come with the LR.

I did actually order the MG ZS Trophy SR, but then cancelled the order and went for the MG4, as my wife thought I wasn't old enough (just yet) for the ZS...... lol and I'm coming up to 56!!

It's a fun car, but I'm still getting use to it...... LKA can be a challenge!

Yes, that's what I thought. It seems more complicated when you first read about it, but once you're in the habit of living with the car it's probably no more complicated than living with the SR.
Thanks Guys, I suppose I have a bit of (battery anxiety) is that a thing? I’m retired and mainly pootle about, with 3-4 trips a year of approximately 130 miles and 90 miles each way.

Thanks Guys, I suppose I have a bit of (battery anxiety) is that a thing? I’m retired and mainly pootle about, with 3-4 trips a year of approximately 130 miles and 90 miles each way.

Call it what it is, charger anxiety. If you can be 100% sure that the charger you're heading for will be working and not occupied, you have no anxiety. This is why people often go lower when they're heading home. They're not worried that they'll be stranded next to a broken charger.

I'm in much the same position as you and I think you'd be just fine with the SR, as I am. But if you would be happier with the extra range, just get it. Even the LR battery is orders of magnitude safer than a petrol or diesel car.

If you can leave your car on a type 2 charger at your destinations, you should never need more range than the SR can provide. With the 260-mile round trip you'd probably have to charge somewhere even with the LR, at least in winter.

Destination chargers are absolutely brilliant. If you can charge in the car park you'd be using anyway, you're completely sorted.

If you can afford peace of mind, buy a longer range than you think you'll ever need, then you'll never have range anxiety. If you can't, sounds like SR will be enough for you.

Nearly 2 weeks now, living on the granny charger whilst waiting for the electrician to install the 7kw at home For our MG4 Essence (LR in English). longest trip to date is driving home from the dealer which was only 120km but yep, a little bit of “will I make it……”
All good. Converting form petrol stations everywhere to oh MG (pardon the pun) to doing some simple maths, it is still a no brainer, we in Australia are so far behind you guys that I for one am jealous that you have the ease to travel where ever you want and know that you won’t end up with a batt flattery. As I read and learn in these threads, surely you all have nothing to worry about regarding running out of battery power to plan and get you where you’re going?
Brings me back to the days when we had to plan petrol stops when travelling around from one destination to the next…..

One of the reasons i bought LR was to deal with degredation.

If the battery degrades to 70-80% after the projected 8 years that will make it about the same as a newly delivered SR. Yeah i know the SR is supposed to last longer but MG doesn’t acknowledge that in warranty plus…..

the extra 40-60 mile range could be vital one day. I make bi weekly trips to London and yesterday having the LR was the difference between getting home on 25% and panic at 5%.

Ive also read online that the SR chemistry range reduces more when cold than the LR technology. Perhaps people with real life experience can comment

Sounds like you made the right decision for you!

Yes, the SR range does decrease quite markedly with cold. I took that into account when I decided to buy the SR - I actually asked the salesman whether the car could still manage a 100-mile round trip in the depths of a freezing winter at motorway speeds with the heating on full blast! Seems to be managing that so far.

I disagree about the "easier to manage" bit - the LR is totally simple to manage on a day-to-day basis. I simply have my charge limit set to 80% and plug in and forget about it, then when I want 100% I change it the night before and it charges up fully. This is perfectly simple.
Exactly that! I leave my Trophy on 80% too unless I'm going on a long journey or doing a balance charge (which is usually done when I am going on a long journey), so a lot of the time don't need to do anything other than plug in and charge.

in indonesia we don't have the option of LR, only SR but with trophy features specs.
currently i value tech (lka, ADAS, camera etc )more since all my previous cars doesn't have those features. with the SR ,waking up everyday with 100% is such a joy. have u ever wake up with a 80% charged cell phone? that feeling of uggh i got to charge the phone mid day..

but i like this perspective of thinking...
8 years degradation or LR = SR. good thinking out of the box friend.
One of the reasons i bought LR was to deal with degredation.

If the battery degrades to 70-80% after the projected 8 years that will make it about the same as a newly delivered SR. Yeah i know the SR is supposed to last longer but MG doesn’t acknowledge that in warranty plus…..

the extra 40-60 mile range could be vital one day. I make bi weekly trips to London and yesterday having the LR was the difference between getting home on 25% and panic at 5%.

Ive also read online that the SR chemistry range reduces more when cold than the LR technology. Perhaps people with real life experience can comment

Nearly 2 weeks now, living on the granny charger whilst waiting for the electrician to install the 7kw at home For our MG4 Essence (LR in English). longest trip to date is driving home from the dealer which was only 120km but yep, a little bit of “will I make it……”
All good. Converting form petrol stations everywhere to oh MG (pardon the pun) to doing some simple maths, it is still a no brainer, we in Australia are so far behind you guys that I for one am jealous that you have the ease to travel where ever you want and know that you won’t end up with a batt flattery. As I read and learn in these threads, surely you all have nothing to worry about regarding running out of battery power to plan and get you where you’re going?
Brings me back to the days when we had to plan petrol stops when travelling around from one destination to the next…..
Well, our country is tiny compared with yours - I think you have bigger individual farms in WA? So it is hardly a fair comparison, much easier to carpet everywhere with chargers. Although with everyone packed in together, finding a spare charger that works can be a challenge.

Somehow people always manage to run out of petrol, diesel, battery - whatever it is, however easy it is to avoid, never underestimate the power of stupid!

Well, our country is tiny compared with yours - I think you have bigger individual farms in WA? So it is hardly a fair comparison, much easier to carpet everywhere with chargers. Although with everyone packed in together, finding a spare charger that works can be a challenge.

Somehow people always manage to run out of petrol, diesel, battery - whatever it is, however easy it is to avoid, never underestimate the power of stupid!
Picked up what you put down TS!
Increased consumption, not enough supply!
We all need to plan our voyages on land as it is on sea and through the seasons and changes in supply and demand.

Hi Guys, I’m very interested in the MG4 ev. I’ve done quite a lot of research and still not sure which ones for me (basic or long range). I’ve been put off slightly by the battery on the LR, some make it sound dangerous! And the fact that you can only charge to 80%. I generally only do short trips, with the occasional 180 -200 mile trips. Can anyone please give me some advice. Thanks.
I have an SESR and am very pleased with it. The range is surprisingly good and for me, it represents the best value. Very nice to drive and very easy to charge and live with.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back