Battery cooling on MG ZS EV 2019

ABDALLA

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I think MG engineer focused on battery heating and they ignored to develop efficient cooling system for the battery in hot climate countries
For example :
During AC charging battery never get cooled automatically, unlike DC rapid charging; cooling system will wait to you to start driving before it can work. I believe that will put a lot of thermal stress on that poor battery , I used to hear it's cry with loud fan/compressor sound when driving after long session of AC charging

The battery is cooled using the aircon cooler when necessary, that's the sound you're hearing.
It does cool on AC, see the other "FAN" post
You only need to worry about the battery health if the temperature is regularly above 50deg C.

The battery is cooled using the aircon cooler when necessary, that's the sound you're hearing.
You only need to worry about the battery health if the temperature is regularly above 50deg C.
I don't think is cooled by the aircon as the battery is water cooled so it pumps the coolant round and the fan will come on when required to cool water in the rad

I don't think is cooled by the aircon as the battery is water cooled so it pumps the coolant round and the fan will come on when required to cool water in the rad
That's what the expansion tank full of pink liquid is for?

i don't think this is the case
why cooling system should wait battery to reach critical temp to start cooling
why not to keep battery within optimum temperature during entire AC charging session to maintain battery health.
Here the facts that I extracted during long period of monitoring the performance:
  • Aircon battery Cooling system start working when :
  • Battery temperature is higher than specific temperature , could be 30 C or more
  • Or battery temperature is higher than ambient temperature by specific ratio (this is my guess could be right or wrong)
  • all these only happen when vehicle in ready mode or in DC Charging mode.
  • Ac charging mode doesn't activate Aircon battery cooling , you could hear fan working from time to time but this sound is not associated with compressor sound, ( when i check under hood I found compressor is off and low pressure cooling pipes is warm) that means no cooling to keep battery in the optimum temp. in spite of ambient temp is 40-45 degree.
  • Battery temp in this case could 46 to 50 degrees, means no Aircon cooling during AC session in hot weather , and that drives me to worry indeed

There is no aircon battery cooling its water cooled I think your over thinking it a little when needed the water will get pumped round the battery then if water gets to warm the fan kicks in and cool the water in the rad and pumps it back to battery the bms will keep battery at optimal temperature when charging heat is built up more on DC than AC so fan is required more so is more obvious
The battery is also heated by the water if needed

Last edited:
Ok where does the coolant go, I assumed to a radiator placed in front or behind another evaporator in the AC system ?
It can't be just air cooled surely ?

Yes through a radiator and a heater like this
Screenshot_20220815_132252.jpg

We were driving in the recent heatwave with aircom off and windows open when the air con switched itself on. Don't know why but it might be related?

We were driving in the recent heatwave with aircom off and windows open when the air con switched itself on. Don't know why but it might be related?
At we talking new or old ZS, if old does the AC switch light come on.

If you mean compressor is on while cabinet cooling system switched off , this is because cooling system Started to cool battery
But you said above the AC (compressor) does not cool the battery ???

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce

Yes i said it doesn't cool during AC charging session
Not while driving
I (wrongly) assumed that if it does while driving then it would also while charging if hot.
I thought maybe the difference is the car has to be in ready mode for the Aircon to be on, but then I remembered you can pre-cool the car with the app, does the app turn the car on to pre-cool ?
Some have reported the fan coming on when charging on AC in very hot weather.

I (wrongly) assumed that if it does while driving then it would also while charging if hot.
I thought maybe the difference is the car has to be in ready mode for the Aircon to be on, but then I remembered you can pre-cool the car with the app, does the app turn the car on to pre-cool ?
Some have reported the fan coming on when charging on AC in very hot weather.
unfortunately I have the old model which has no app ,
Yes even me I hear this fan sound but its only fan not AC

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom