Battery dead and can't access charging port

mm0u802a

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello!

MG ZS EV (2021) hasn't been driven for months and battery has (unsurprisingly) died. I presume it just needs charging up again (?) however because it is dead I can't open the central locking and therefore the charging port cover. Tried a few things - emergency release cable, heating it up first etc - with no luck. Does anybody know of any way to manually open the charging port cover please? Or if not, what are my options? Can it be jump started (read differing opinions on this)? Am I looking at having to just break it open and buy a new one?

Any thoughts very much appreciated!

Hello!

MG ZS EV (2021) hasn't been driven for months and battery has (unsurprisingly) died. I presume it just needs charging up again (?) however because it is dead I can't open the central locking and therefore the charging port cover. Tried a few things - emergency release cable, heating it up first etc - with no luck. Does anybody know of any way to manually open the charging port cover please? Or if not, what are my options? Can it be jump started (read differing opinions on this)? Am I looking at having to just break it open and buy a new one?

Any thoughts very much appreciated!
You have aa cover, give them a call, they should be able to access. Worst case scenario they take it to the nearest MG dealer to fix.

Upvote 0
Just managed to dent my doors on a low post. Both are functioning, but probably need to be replaced. Anyone have experience of how long to get it fixed?

Upvote 0
I damaged 2 doors in a similar accident to you in 2021. I took the car to my local (very good) bodyshop who fixed it under insurance. At that time the bodyshop had no trouble getting all the parts, including the small plastic stick on bits. The only problem was at the end when they had trouble with the keys. The answer is the key must be taken right away from the car and not left in the car as is the usual custom. You would not know my car had suffered any damage, it is just like when new. Quite a lot of work transferring bits!

Upvote 0
I drained my 12v 2 years ago, if you have access to jump leads or a jump pack.
Use the emergency key in the fob to open the drivers door, pop the bonnet open, and then hook up the 12v battery to the donor vehicle or jump pack.
(Don't have the other car running, you don't need a lot of power to sort this).
Once hooked up, use your fob to "Unlock" the car and open all the doors and charge door.

This will allow you to plug your car in to charge up (disconnect once charging starts).
Or if you're just doing it to get moving, get in and put your car into ready/running mode.
That'll fire up your DC-DC and your main battery will charge your 12v battery.
(disconnect the jump leads to reduce any load from your car).

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom