battery dead anyone else?

The main high voltage traction battery which is used to drive the motor, is bolted under the floor pan of the car, this is the battery that is used to provide a charge to the small 12 volt battery that is located under the bonnet.
The 12 volt battery is used to power all of the items like the lights / wipers etc.
It is required to boot up the car into ready mode.
Thank you very much for your reply. Having read our warranty t&c it really doesn’t make it clear what is covered by the seven year warranty. I will discuss this issue. with our main dealer.

Thank you very much for your reply. Having read our warranty t&c it really doesn’t make it clear what is covered by the seven year warranty. I will discuss this issue. with our main dealer.
Please have a look at the attachment in post number 16 above in this thread by @Jto . It clearly lists all the parts and the warranty lengths.

Hi taxiterry

A few questions
Firstly what happened to the 7 years warranty?
What Mileage is on the clock? Do you charge regularly to 100%? What was the SoC on the day it failed? Have you ever run the battery down to zero%? I thought road side assistance was with the AA not the RAC - what reason did they give for not being able to help? Name the dealership - only one "MG trained technician" are they a new dealership?

Fascinating and alarming at the same time
Sincerely and in good faith
Martin Reid
Hi Martin

Thats exactly what i thought! but apparently the Battery is only covered for 1 year. Normally charge to around 80% on the day in question it was at 76% SOC. no 7% is the lowest its been down to. Didnt bother with the AA as i have RAC cover with the taxi insurance. No dealer in question has been around years. worrying when they are selling so many EV's.

Hey all, sorry for the incorrect terminology. By trickle I meant 7kW charger. had an update from MG dealer, Who only has one MG trained technician to say they have have to replace the 12v battery which is not covered under warranty as the car is 1 year 1 month old. but that will take up to 4 days to arrive! but that still could not be the problem and they still have to await MG findings. Seems to me they don't really have a clue what's the problem and they are clutching at straws.
Sorry only just seen this stream, I have a 21 plate EV5. I had a flat 12v battery a few weeks ago and the RAC checked and said something onboard was discharging and it needs checking at dealer and they had seen a few recentlt like this. He boosted my batery and it was ok as long as i didn't leave too long between drives as it took nearly 3 weeks to get a slot at the dealer. The problem which is a well known one within MG dealers is the radio transmission module is draining the battery slowly when parked. I had this replaced under warrenty last week and all is good.

Sorry only just seen this stream, I have a 21 plate EV5. I had a flat 12v battery a few weeks ago and the RAC checked and said something onboard was discharging and it needs checking at dealer and they had seen a few recentlt like this. He boosted my batery and it was ok as long as i didn't leave too long between drives as it took nearly 3 weeks to get a slot at the dealer. The problem which is a well known one within MG dealers is the radio transmission module is draining the battery slowly when parked. I had this replaced under warrenty last week and all is good.
I've just had a flat 12v on my 21 plate MG5, after leaving it standing for only 4 days. A few days prior to this I got the Radio Module Disconnected error. I usually clear this by disconnecting the 12v but hadn't got round to it this time. Is there definitely a fix for this radio module thing? Is it a hardware fix? How is that draining the 12v, is it live all the time? I'm just trying to decide whether to change my battery or not. Thanks

I have my 5 SR in in next week forcan investigation for the radio module as they have reset it once and updated it but it has gone again.
How many times have you reset yours!

Hi Martin

Thats exactly what i thought! but apparently the Battery is only covered for 1 year. Normally charge to around 80% on the day in question it was at 76% SOC. no 7% is the lowest its been down to. Didnt bother with the AA as i have RAC cover with the taxi insurance. No dealer in question has been around years. worrying when they are selling so many EV's.
The Main (Big expensive) battery should be covered for a lot longer, the 12V battery (which is a fairly bog standard car battery similar to the ones commonly found in Petrol/Diesel cars) is the one only covered by a 12month warrenty (which is a bit stingy but still)

As others have said the 12v battery is used to power things like the lights, computers.etc also to throw the contactors that connect the main battery when you are either charging or turning on/off the car (You'll probably hear a clunk/thunk noise as this happens)

I've just had a flat 12v on my 21 plate MG5, after leaving it standing for only 4 days. A few days prior to this I got the Radio Module Disconnected error. I usually clear this by disconnecting the 12v but hadn't got round to it this time. Is there definitely a fix for this radio module thing? Is it a hardware fix? How is that draining the 12v, is it live all the time? I'm just trying to decide whether to change my battery or not. Thanks
There is a hardware issue with the radio transmission module that needs replacing. It took a few days to arrive and then 2 weeks to a slot in the dealership to fix it. In my case no need to replace the 12v battery.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom