nbenn

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I'm going for my first service tomorrow and I'm assuming I'll get a battery report for the first year. I'll be interested to see how it's degraded as compared to videos I watched prior to purchasing that outlined the typical losses seen in LFP batteries per year.

I've a standard range but if anybody has any data they can share that I could use for comparison it would be great. What type of degradation did you see after your first service?

I'd even be interested to see if the LR have degraded more or less.

I hope you're kidding but I get the feeling you're not far off 😭 I thought this was a simple thing for them. I may have to look at working it out myself then I suppose.

How are you charging the car, mixed? Balance every month?
Mostly at home (6kW from our old Podpoint) except when I'm doing longer journeys (about every 2 months) when I use rapid chargers. Balance charge roughly every month dictated by when it's going to fit in with using the car the next day to bring it back down into the 80%s.

Yes, and it was 95%. (Which is not unexpected after the first year for an LFP pack ... there's not as much "buffer" on the LFP pack vs the NMC pack, so an NMC pack can degrade without the headline SOH being noticeably affected). After another year I'm somewhat expecting the SOH will still be 95%, or maybe 94%. (Degradation of LFP flattens out after the initial drop).

Yes, and it was 95%. (Which is not unexpected after the first year for an LFP pack ... there's not as much "buffer" on the LFP pack vs the NMC pack, so an NMC pack can degrade without the headline SOH being noticeably affected). After another year I'm somewhat expecting the SOH will still be 95%, or maybe 94%. (Degradation of LFP flattens out after the initial drop).
Yes this is what I'm expecting to see. They've told me they'll give me a report on battery health anyway. I'm heading over soon so I'll update once I've a figure for how much it's degraded. Hopefully not too bad. I've not really noticed anything so perhaps might be good.

Manufactures tend to hide some the batteries capacity at the head of the battery when the car is new.
This is done deliberately because they understand that there is degradation in the first 12 months of its life, it can be more than the subsequent years.
This is done to avoid new owners from panicking if witness the range dropping suddenly in the first year of the cars life.
In the second year the reduction is likely to be very small, if any at all.
This can be dependant on the battery chemistry type of course.

Last edited:
Yes, got my report. Was 95% after 1 year so pretty much in line with you @siteguru . Thats with 10,500 miles down. Mine is LFP.

On a side note, it's kind of comical how little is done for the service. When I asked the guy, he tried his hardest to make it sound extensive to justify it.

My software is now up to date at least. It's been a nice update so far but I've been on a very old version. He told me it went from rev 8 to like rev 33 now. The pull down menu can now be used to turn off LKA. Hopefully LKA will try to kill me less with update and I won't need that!

You were lucky to get a software update
I'd a load of small issues. Radio stations not working. Traffic sign recognition not working. Etc They didn't really have a choice! The LKA seems to be really improved but they told me it couldn't set to default off.

How do they check the battery degradation. Do they use special instruments. Is there a method that one can carry out to check it oneself. Can we trust the figures that they give us.

How do they check the battery degradation. Do they use special instruments. Is there a method that one can carry out to check it oneself. Can we trust the figures that they give us.
The dealer will use a dedicated MG diagnostic computer that is loaded the MG software that can integrate the SOH of HV battery.
If you want to check your battery health, you will need a third party OBD reader that can connected to a phone / tablet.
If you are asking the dealer to check your battery SOH ask them to provide you with a print out of a screen shot that clearly displays the SOH of your HV battery.
The screen shot should show the VIN number of YOUR car in the top right hand corner of the print out.
Is this totally accurate ?.
Properly as accurate as it gets really for your peace of mind.
The rate of battery degradation will be reflected by a number of different factors.
It will be normal to expect some degradation of course as the car ages and charging cycles increase with the mileage covered.

Last edited:
When i purchased my MG4 they did not specify the degradation %. They only gave me a 7 years or 128,000km EV Battery warranty, which mean nothing without a degradation %. So how can one check and claim for example a battery replacement.

I'm going for my first service tomorrow and I'm assuming I'll get a battery report for the first year. I'll be interested to see how it's degraded as compared to videos I watched prior to purchasing that outlined the typical losses seen in LFP batteries per year.

I've a standard range but if anybody has any data they can share that I could use for comparison it would be great. What type of degradation did you see after your first service?

I'd even be interested to see if the LR have degraded more or less.
Just had my first service today for my SE LR, and the battery State of Health was reported as 100%.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back