When i purchased my MG4 they did not specify the degradation %. They only gave me a 7 years or 128,000km EV Battery warranty, which mean nothing without a degradation %. So how can one check and claim for example a battery replacement.
Check the warranty docs ... the permitted SoH up to 7 years is 70%. If the SoH falls below that within the warranty period then the battery pack will be repaired or replaced as necessary.

in 7 years time, there'll be new battery tech on stream, in 10 years even more, so maybe that will be an optional replacement as prices are set to drop signigicantly for EV batteries over the next 5 years.

Last edited:
Yeah. I get all these haters on Twitter saying, but what about when you have to replace the battery? I say, the engine in my VW failed at 30,000 miles. I don't go around telling people not to buy an ICE car because the engine will only last for 30,000 miles, do I?

Oh but the batteries are only warrantied for 8 years (or whatever)! Yes, and the typical ICE warranty is only 3 years. What's your point? Manufacturers set the warranty period well short of the time when significant numbers of units are expected to fail. We don't expect the engine in our petrol car to collapse soon after the 3 year warranty runs out, and we don't expect our EV batteries to fail soon after the (much longer) warranty runs out either.

Agree but upgrading these cars in the future with new battery tech giving much more range, less sensitivity to temperature and carefree charging will be a big business as prices for these components will become much more 'commodity' related

I had my first service yesterday, Trophy LR 8,350 miles, the Battery SOH on the Maintenance Check Sheet they gave me is shown as 10066% - I doubt that's correct ;)

I did get a software upgrade which was technically described as "The big one", no idea what it really included except that I did get R46 Infotainment.

They also provided an A4 sheet of paper for the Service History Report that has space for 6 services to be recorded (date, mileage, dealer stamp and signature). I guess they decided to do that to placate all the customers who were unhappy with the "Service Record is only available online" stance.

I had my first service yesterday, Trophy LR 8,350 miles, the Battery SOH on the Maintenance Check Sheet they gave me is shown as 10066% - I doubt that's correct ;)

I did get a software upgrade which was technically described as "The big one", no idea what it really included except that I did get R46 Infotainment.

They also provided an A4 sheet of paper for the Service History Report that has space for 6 services to be recorded (date, mileage, dealer stamp and signature). I guess they decided to do that to placate all the customers who were unhappy with the "Service Record is only available online" stance.
@Barbette which dealer was that? Paul Rigby MG Redditch?

Yes, and it was 95%. (Which is not unexpected after the first year for an LFP pack ... there's not as much "buffer" on the LFP pack vs the NMC pack, so an NMC pack can degrade without the headline SOH being noticeably affected). After another year I'm somewhat expecting the SOH will still be 95%, or maybe 94%. (Degradation of LFP flattens out after the initial drop).
I think the LFP pack only has a 250Wh bottom buffer to stop it being completely discharged if you run out of charge. They are a lot more tolerant of low SoC so don’t need it.

I’ve read the same thing, that they initially degrade faster but after that initial drop they degrade much slower than NMC.

I’m hoping I get a battery health report when my first service comes, just out of interest really. Initially I always charged to 100% as recommended but now I charge to 80% once a week then to 100% on the next charge. Not because I’m worried about it but because I can charge for free at work so do a 20% to 100% charge there for the weekend 😁

I’m curious if that has any effect on LFP degradation.

Agree but upgrading these cars in the future with new battery tech giving much more range, less sensitivity to temperature and carefree charging will be a big business as prices for these components will become much more 'commodity' related
The battery for the Tesla model 2 sounds incredible if the stats are true. Same manufacturer as the MG4 battery, CATL, but new LFP technology that can charge at over 300 kW and isn’t affected negatively by low temperatures. That’s probably one of the main drawbacks of buying an EV now. Not battery life but the technology moving on so fast that any new car you buy is obsolete in a short period.

Last edited by a moderator:
The battery for the Tesla model 2 sounds incredible if the stats are true. Same manufacturer as the MG4 battery, CATL, but new LFP technology that can charge at over 300kw and isn’t affected negatively by low temperatures. That’s probably one of the main drawbacks of buying an EV now. Not battery life but the technology moving on so fast that any new car you buy is obsolete in a short period.
I also picked up on this in recent days, if the model 2 is anything like the mockups and 25K price tag, then I'd be very interested in 2 years time

Not expecting much degradation, charge at home to 80% mostly via the Sun and only go to 100% the day before a big trip.

I’m curious if that has any effect on LFP degradation.
If it helps mine at 20,000 miles is 5% degredation, but the algorithm/trend has curved to a linear trend, which extrapolates to something like 10% degredation at around 250,000 miles - I can charge 64% overnight with an ohme charger, so once its less than 1/2 full I plug in & add upto 64%.

I also picked up on this in recent days, if the model 2 is anything like the mockups and 25K price tag, then I'd be very interested in 2 years time
Me too. Though I’m really not a fan of the move towards shoving everything on a touchscreen that Tesla started and everyone else is copying. One of the things I much prefer with the MG4 over the Cupra Born I had is that it’s easier to live with ergonomically.

Other than that the Model 2 seems very promising but I’d want a couple of days driving one first. At the moment the Renault 5 is top of the list for my next car. It uses android automotive for infotainment (so not some rubbish in house software) and they have actual buttons for important stuff. The best feature, in my opinion, is that they have sacrificed NCAP safety stars so you can save settings to turn off driver assist functionality (like LKA) and apply them with a single press of a dedicated button on the steering wheel!

The only thing holding me back is the battery is a bit small and NMC.

If it helps mine at 20,000 miles is 5% degredation, but the algorithm/trend has curved to a linear trend, which extrapolates to something like 10% degredation at around 250,000 miles - I can charge 64% overnight with an ohme charger, so once its less than 1/2 full I plug in & add upto 64%.
FYI, if you’re on Intelligent Octopus GO you can add as much as you need. Almost everyone thinks you’re restricted to the off peak period for cheap charging but you aren’t. I thought that too but it says ‘all smart charging’ and although there is a fair use policy, it is otherwise true.

Unless you override the schedule by using the max charge function on the Ohme EVERYTHING the charger schedules is at the cheap rate.

If you try to game it then you’ll probably break the fair use policy but I normally only charge the car a couple of times a week at home. In this example my plans changed and I needed the car in the evening.

Exhibit A!

IMG_4864.png

FYI, if you’re on Intelligent Octopus GO you can add as much as you need. Almost everyone thinks you’re restricted to the off peak period for cheap charging but you aren’t. I thought that too but it says ‘all smart charging’ and although there is a fair use policy, it is otherwise true.

Unless you override the schedule by using the max charge function on the Ohme EVERYTHING the charger schedules is at the cheap rate.

If you try to game it then you’ll probably break the fair use policy but I normally only charge the car a couple of times a week at home. In this example my plans changed and I needed the car in the evening.

Exhibit A!

View attachment 25258
Impressive - I'll probably switch to this after May 24, but for now I'm still filling my boots via EDF at 4.5p / kWh, last year I took 6000kWh off peak and 100kWh peak - so electricity cost around £300, with octopus its going to be nearer £500 going forward, nevertheless all fine n dandy! Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive - I'll probably switch to this after May 24, but for now I'm still filling my boots via EDF at 4.5p / KWh, last year I took 6000kw off peak and 100kw peak - so electricity cost around £300, with octopus its going to be nearer £500 going forward, nevertheless all fine n dandy! Cheers!
Blimey, you got yourself a good fix there! 👍

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel