battery overheating

capitan capete

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy ER
The problem is very simple when the car is with the doors closed (off) it does not cool the battery

Normally it is linked to 60% load power at 100 kW +-

I have done the tests on a 250kw charger

measurements are in degrees celcius

Another proof that you have problems, the fan is not heard to cool the car during charging.

Does that happen to anyone?
20-28.8.jpg
45-35.jpg
61-41.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Capitan with all the issues you're having I'd be looking at the Lemon Laws where you are as it looks like you've got a bad one. Even with the mileage you seem to be doing it shouldn't be falling apart like this.

the fault is that the car does not cool the battery when it is with the doors closed and the car off.

but at no time have I received any notice of battery overheating. what I have observed is that when the car is closed the charging speed is much slower because the battery heats up.

what worries me is that if it does not cool the battery with the high temperatures that the car could have a fire

don't tell me some unit has already come out with a battery fire

the fault is that the car does not cool the battery when it is with the doors closed and the car off.

but at no time have I received any notice of battery overheating. what I have observed is that when the car is closed the charging speed is much slower because the battery heats up.

what worries me is that if it does not cool the battery with the high temperatures that the car could have a fire

don't tell me some unit has already come out with a battery fire
Not heard of any fires. That sounds like a software problem then, but given the long list of faults you have, I would be thinking about getting them to replace the car as TJWhiteStar suggests.

It is normal for charge speed to drop and for the battery to heat up during rapid charging. I get 135kW on mine but only below about 50% SOC and then it starts to drop off, typically getting 50kW by 80%. I don't know what is normal for the coolant temperature under these condition, although your readings do seem high.

Not heard of any fires. That sounds like a software problem then, but given the long list of faults you have, I would be thinking about getting them to replace the car as TJWhiteStar suggests.

It is normal for charge speed to drop and for the battery to heat up during rapid charging. I get 135kW on mine but only below about 50% SOC and then it starts to drop off, typically getting 50kW by 80%. I don't know what is normal for the coolant temperature under these condition, although your readings do seem high.
Having a look at Teslas, they preheat the battery to 40C and charge optimally between 40-50C, so perhaps this is intended - the car wants a hotter battery to take the high charge rate? I am not sure.

Having a look at Teslas, they preheat the battery to 40C and charge optimally between 40-50C, so perhaps this is intended - the car wants a hotter battery to take the high charge rate? I am not sure.
That sounds plausible. The water pump must be working to even out the temperature across the battery otherwise the header tank wouldn't be getting warm.

Do you have Intelligent Battery Heating turned on?

There's a suggestion that this might manage cooling as well as heating (bad translation), so you might want to try with or without and see if you get any different results.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back