Battery range dropped from 32 to 31 miles?

When I first had my car and fully charged it the battery range would show 32 miles...now when it's fully charged it shows 31 miles.

I only done 2400 miles since I received the car.
Mine has the same issue. Droped from 32 mile to 31 mile in full charge. My friend also have the same model has experienced the same issue. I have taken the car to the dealership for service and all these issues

I did see a identical situation on a VW Golf PHEV that I owned from new, back in 2015.
The car was charged nightly for about the first 7 months on the provided Granny lead, and then I had a wall box installed.
It would fully charge to give a range of 32 miles every single time.
Then completely out of the blue, when the car was around 12 - 13 months old, it just dropped over night to 31 miles of EV range ???.
I thought it was maybe down to the weather conditions, but it did become a regular thing.
Then most times 31 miles, but occasionally it would hit 32 miles.
But this would drop back to 32 miles before getting to the end of the road.
I owned the car for a total of four years and about every 12 months ( ish ).
It would do the very same thing !.
It never affected the way the car performed etc, but there was a reduction of the predicted range on the GOM for sure.
I was a long serving member of a forum that was dedicated to this model, with other owners with the same car, of the same age and similar mileage covered, they reported a very similar pattern.
A lot of owners just dismissed the reduction and enjoyed the car for what it was.
When it was about three years old, I received a recall from VW to say that all VW’s with a HV battery, needed to be checked because they had a very few cars, that had moisture enter the battery case.
The recall was to remove the battery, split the alloy case and check the cells for moisture damage.
Any small amount of damaged cells would be replaced, but if the damage was more serious they would install a brand new battery.
My battery was fine, but I had friend who had a new battery installed.
He was over the moon to get his fully 32 miles of estimated range back !.
Twelve months down the road and the range started to drop, as did the first battery.
When I sold my car after about four years and just under 30,000 miles, when fully charged it would report around 27 - 28 miles of predicted range.
Similar with other owners where reporting.
Some battery degradation for sure !.
The pack is small and with only 32 miles of range at best, it is easy to spot any reduction in the predicted range.
You are less affected by the reduction, because you have the back up of a ICE !.
We moved to the ZS EV full BEV after the Golf.
I similar condition like could be seen after two years and 20,000 miles.
Less predicted mileage reported after a full charge over time.
No ICE as a back up of course 🤣.
I understand that we are comparing two different cars, produced by two different manufacturers of course.
But I thought you maybe interested in what my experiences and observations after owning a PHEV for four years and 30,000 miles.
It’s important that you don’t become too paranoid over what the GOM predicts.
Remember it’s called a GOM for good reason folks !.
It’s a pure GUESS of what the car could achieve based on your previous driving style.
The MG system is different design, because in the VW you can use the heater and drive in full EV mode, up to 80 mph without inducing the ICE to kick in, if selected by the driver.
Many VW owners would complain that their predicted range after a charge had dropped by a big amount, until they realised that they had left the HVAC turned on from the previous trip !.
BEV drivers fall for this trick on a regular basis !.

I did see a identical situation on a VW Golf PHEV that I owned from new, back in 2015.
The car was charged nightly for about the first 7 months on the provided Granny lead, and then I had a wall box installed.
It would fully charge to give a range of 32 miles every single time.
Then completely out of the blue, when the car was around 12 - 13 months old, it just dropped over night to 31 miles of EV range ???.
I thought it was maybe down to the weather conditions, but it did become a regular thing.
Then most times 31 miles, but occasionally it would hit 32 miles.
But this would drop back to 32 miles before getting to the end of the road.
I owned the car for a total of four years and about every 12 months ( ish ).
It would do the very same thing !.
It never affected the way the car performed etc, but there was a reduction of the predicted range on the GOM for sure.
I was a long serving member of a forum that was dedicated to this model, with other owners with the same car, of the same age and similar mileage covered, they reported a very similar pattern.
A lot of owners just dismissed the reduction and enjoyed the car for what it was.
When it was about three years old, I received a recall from VW to say that all VW’s with a HV battery, needed to be checked because they had a very few cars, that had moisture enter the battery case.
The recall was to remove the battery, split the alloy case and check the cells for moisture damage.
Any small amount of damaged cells would be replaced, but if the damage was more serious they would install a brand new battery.
My battery was fine, but I had friend who had a new battery installed.
He was over the moon to get his fully 32 miles of estimated range back !.
Twelve months down the road and the range started to drop, as did the first battery.
When I sold my car after about four years and just under 30,000 miles, when fully charged it would report around 27 - 28 miles of predicted range.
Similar with other owners where reporting.
Some battery degradation for sure !.
The pack is small and with only 32 miles of range at best, it is easy to spot any reduction in the predicted range.
You are less affected by the reduction, because you have the back up of a ICE !.
We moved to the ZS EV full BEV after the Golf.
I similar condition like could be seen after two years and 20,000 miles.
Less predicted mileage reported after a full charge over time.
No ICE as a back up of course 🤣.
I understand that we are comparing two different cars, produced by two different manufacturers of course.
But I thought you maybe interested in what my experiences and observations after owning a PHEV for four years and 30,000 miles.
It’s important that you don’t become too paranoid over what the GOM predicts.
Remember it’s called a GOM for good reason folks !.
It’s a pure GUESS of what the car could achieve based on your previous driving style.
The MG system is different design, because in the VW you can use the heater and drive in full EV mode, up to 80 mph without inducing the ICE to kick in, if selected by the driver.
Many VW owners would complain that their predicted range after a charge had dropped by a big amount, until they realised that they had left the HVAC turned on from the previous trip !.
BEV drivers fall for this trick on a regular basis !.
Hi, Thanks but not sure if I understand you. The battery in simply dropping and not showing the 32mil range upon the full charge. The car is less than a year old with 3000miles on the clock. You reply sounds like someone is trying to justify MG cars by comparing to issues faced with other cars..

Both lights were flashing on the granny charger which indicates it's fully charged and again showing 31 miles. Cars due for its first service in September so they can look then unless it drops further.
I'm having a similiar issue. I am charging to 100% but it is only returning 61km of the max 63km available. I have only travelled 8650km and the vehicle is 10months old. I don't think this is reasonable given expectation of the marketing.

Hi, Thanks but not sure if I understand you. The battery in simply dropping and not showing the 32mil range upon the full charge. The car is less than a year old with 3000miles on the clock. You reply sounds like someone is trying to justify MG cars by comparing to issues faced with other cars..
I am making the point based on the experience of when we owned a VAG PHEV for four years.
When the car was new, it would return a predicted range of 32 miles of range.
Many other owner reported the same results.
As we know, the most economic gains from a PHEV is achieved by charging them as often as possible.
This is therefore likely to be conducted on a daily or nightly basis.
Depending on your usage pattern of course, it was clearly apparent and duly noted by both myself and other owners, that the once predicted range of 32 miles was slowly reducing after a full charge, as the car aged.
Battery degradation is easier to spot when the pack is so small of course.
After four years and about 28,000 miles, the reported predicted range after a full charge was around 27 - 28 miles.
I therefore have no reason to think that other manufacturers of PHEV’s / EV’s have a similar condition.

Mine MG PHEV changed from 32 mile range to 31 mile when the BMS was updated at the dealer, (Baylis, Gloucs.) in Feb. '23 (The update was a safety BMS update, apparently). Prior to the update it was always 32 at full charge, post update it never exceeds 31 when fully charged via a Wallbox charger. (I have never used the supplied granny charger.)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom