Battery Status After Charging

Adam C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi folks.

Now I’m not sure if this is a common bug/issue.

I’ve only had my Trophy Long Range for just under 2 weeks. When I collected it from the dealer the battery was showing 92%.

Today is the first charge I have done, battery was showing 28%.

I charged it on a public 50kW charge to 80% (it will be April/May before I get my home charger installed).

Straight after the charge we drove to a friend's house, about 8 miles, and the battery then showed 81%.

Then drove home, another 9 miles & it’s back at 80% & since the charge the miles to empty has not changed

The car runs brilliantly and this is the first time this has happened, so I can only presume for whatever reason it has something to do with the charging process.

Anyone experienced this?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. You will find little vagaries like this dependent on your state of charge, when you charged, how you drive, what the road conditions are, etc. If you charged in the morning with the battery cold then it was warmed and would give a better voltage indication and probably continued warming after you finished charging. 'Down South' you avoided the wetness and the warmth was retained as you drew energy out of the battery. The Isle of Wight is flat so regen does not come into it but you were probably not doing motorway speeds which drain the battery more quickly.

As regards battery heating look up Steptoe Senior's comments about putting batteries in the oven during the war.

Enjoy the ride.

EDIT: For the experts, I know that the Steptoe option is about polarisation but, I assume, all batteries are temperature-dependent. By the way you will not have achieved the same result on Portsdown Hill.

Last edited:
The battery percentage and GOM are figures based on the driving styles. What is your trip mi/kWh? This can vary due to weather and speed etc.
I don't think you can call the IOW flat @Martinonline

Thanks for the replies folks

In answer to my trip mi/kWh

After the charge yesterday my mileage until I got home was 17 miles & I averaged 3.7 mi/kWh but that’s what I found strange. I charged the car to 80% & during the 17 miles I travelled after it at one point went up to 81% then when home it was back at 80% & the mileage to empty didn’t change at all

This morning I will drop the wife to work then I have to do a 26 mile round trip so I’ll see what the % says after

Thanks again

The battery percentage and GOM are figures based on the driving styles. What is your trip mi/kWh? This can vary due to weather and speed etc.
I don't think you can call the IOW flat @Martinonline
Compared to South Yorkshire it is. But perhaps gently hilly is more appropriate.

Last edited:
Compared to South Yorkshire it is. But perhaps gently hilly is more appropriate.
Gently hilly is probably a good way to describe the island unless you go to Ventnor! In all my years of driving I’ve never seen such steep roads/hills

Regarding my query about the battery status on my MG4. I’ve been out this morning, driven just over 30 miles & the % & miles to empty is finally going down lol & I averages 3.9 miles per kWh

Thanks again folks for the replies

Your car is new. When it comes from the dealer the computer will show the book range which on mine was 280.

Never shown that again in 11 months.

When you drive it, it will make a calculation based on your past driving and range and predict a practical range.

Which in the case of my SE LR is around 230 in summer and presently 140-175 in winter.

At the moment your computer has no experience to go on so will be a bit more random in its predictions

Your car is new. When it comes from the dealer the computer will show the book range which on mine was 280.

Never shown that again in 11 months.

When you drive it, it will make a calculation based on your past driving and range and predict a practical range.

Which in the case of my SE LR is around 230 in summer and presently 140-175 in winter.

At the moment your computer has no experience to go on so will be a bit more random in its predictions
Thanks buddy for the reply

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel