Battery Upgrade Option

I didn’t know which thread to ask this question, so apologies if this is misplaced.

Being new to EV’s I wanted to know if (other than tyres and brakes needing to be bedded in) do ev’s need to be ‘run in’ as ICE cars do? Thanks.

I didn’t know which thread to ask this question, so apologies if this is misplaced.

Being new to EV’s I wanted to know if (other than tyres and brakes needing to be bedded in) do ev’s need to be ‘run in’ as ICE cars do? Thanks.
nope, no engine that needs a max rpm until it is worn a bit, you dont run in a hoover :)
no extra cold starts wear either, so short trips are much better to do in a ev than ice when it is cold

Is anyone aware if the MG4 has reversing light/s and if so where are they located?

Does it have a rear fog light? I could not see a switch for it on the light stalk.

lights stalk.jpg

Is anyone aware if the MG4 has reversing light/s and if so where are they located?

Does it have a rear fog light? I could not see a switch for it on the light stalk.

View attachment 10848
Hopefully, they're both legal requirements.

Fog lights are probably on a separate switch somewhere, assuming they haven't buried them on a sub-menu of the infotainment system

Take a look at this new MG EV hatchback with new battery pack that can be swapped out
Thanks @Dave53 , Whilst I utterly hate the daily Mail, with all my heart! I hope this turns out to be true.

I was going to part chop the Trophy I am getting soon, next year, which would have put of me bestowing the car to my wife, so that I can get me sell a MGC EV In a couple of years. But now, I will just upgrade the battery and stay on course :)

providing the Daily Crap, is not sprouting its usual racist jingoistic BS.

time will tell I guess.

Thanks @Dave53 , Whilst I utterly hate the daily Mail, with all my heart! I hope this turns out to be true.

I was going to part chop the Trophy I am getting soon, next year, which would have put of me bestowing the car to my wife, so that I can get me sell a MGC EV In a couple of years. But now, I will just upgrade the battery and stay on course :)

time will tell I guess.
From what I've read elsewhere, MG have designed the platform to be suitable for 800V charging & battery swapping at some time in the future. The MG4 is very unlikely to get either.

TL;DR - Daily Fail strikes again!

time will tell I guess.
I gather that you dislike the Daily Mail, but I'm struggling to understand what is racist or jingoistic about a swappable battery.

There's battery swapping and battery swapping. One as practised by BYD is where an automated station swaps your discharged battery for a fully charged one in about 3 minutes to avoid having to wait 40-60 minutes at a Rapid, the other as practised by a few DIYers with Nissan LEAF is to permanently change a degraded battery one for a better one.
The MoL is suggesting the former, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

There's battery swapping and battery swapping. One as practised by BYD is where an automated station swaps your discharged battery for a fully charged one in about 3 minutes to avoid having to wait 40-60 minutes at a Rapid, the other as practised by a few DIYers with Nissan LEAF is to permanently change a degraded battery one for a better one.
The MoL is suggesting the former, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
I think the capability has been designed into the new battery platform, but it's not going to come for this version of the MG4 at least. I suspect we'll see it appear in a couple of years on something built on the same basic platform.

With the much larger capacities available, the best option may be to build a Transit sized van with a swappable battery, which would be a game changer for delivery drivers rather than the under powered and limited range options available at the moment. If you could get say 100 miles and then swap for another 100 in 5 minutes or less, that's absolutely doable for Amazon etc

With the mg 4 being launched tomorrow and presumably then on sale they aut to have had them in the dealer's ready I no they still have training but ime inpatient 😁

Hopefully, they're both legal requirements.

Fog lights are probably on a separate switch somewhere, assuming they haven't buried them on a sub-menu of the infotainment system

20220919_170725.jpg

Can't be sure but I think the rear fog light switch is on light stalk, facing away from the driver. Could someone who gets to see a demo car please check?

time will tell I guess.

MG's new £30k '4' electric hatchback has a SWAPPABLE battery system

Hi, Bobby here from the Netherlands, just ordered my MG4. Here it is just launched, I have to wait a couple of months. In the meantime I'm learning from you guys!
I was wondering if the dealers in the UK already confirmed the possibility to swap at a certain time the battery for a larger one.
Let's say, if you choose the standard range now, is it possible to swap the battery for a long range within 2 years or something?

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel