Battery Upgrade Option

View attachment 11008

Can't be sure but I think the rear fog light switch is on light stalk, facing away from the driver. Could someone who gets to see a demo car please check?
Old post, but ... on the MG4 the fog light is a "button" on the Infotainment screen, at the top-left.

Hi, Bobby here from the Netherlands, just ordered my MG4. Here it is just launched, I have to wait a couple of months. In the meantime I'm learning from you guys!
I was wondering if the dealers in the UK already confirmed the possibility to swap at a certain time the battery for a larger one.
Let's say, if you choose the standard range now, is it possible to swap the battery for a long range within 2 years or something?
No info on that topic, but I'd highly doubt it.

Old post, but ... on the MG4 the fog light is a "button" on the Infotainment screen, at the top-left.
I didn’t think this would be an issue but we needed to use the fog lights when the screen was having one of its meltdowns cycling between views again.

Why do you doubt it? it's technically possible
Of course it is ... but nobody (bar perhaps one company in Thailand or similar) has even considered the concept of battery swapping - that's why I doubt that it will happen; the demand isn't there, and neither is the infrastructure.

If you read MG's announcement of their platform development properly, you'll see that they say that the platform has been developed to support battery swapping & 800V architecture in the future.

By 2024, the MG4 will be their oldest model of EV, so I don't expect it to support either feature until they launch an "MG4 mk2" sometime in the late 2020's.

FWIW - Battery swapping is currently offered by Chinese manufacturer NIO, who have precisely one battery swap station outside China, in Norway where they launched this year. They also only offer one battery capacity across their range of vehicles, so there's no swapping a small battery for a larger one there either.

Bobby was meaning about replacing a smaller for a larger capacity pack, not for routine battery swapping (empty to full). In that respect, as long as it fitted then the weight/time to do it is a secondary concern - the primary concern is whether it can physically be done with the way the car is designed.

Bobby was meaning about replacing a smaller for a larger capacity pack, not for routine battery swapping (empty to full). In that respect, as long as it fitted then the weight/time to do it is a secondary concern - the primary concern is whether it can physically be done with the way the car is designed.
Yes that is what I meant. I do have the Trophy long range ordered but am amazed how they put their innovation in their cheapest car. With new MG4 with extra long range coming, I think it will be possible (maybe not cheap, who knows) that we can install a 74kwh (or larger) battery from the new MG4 that is coming this year. This should be technical possible. NIO is doing this in Netherland. Ofcourse also with swap stations, but that means it also possible to swap you own battery for a new longer range. Pretty cool!

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 536 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel