Best All Season Tyres for MG4

I'm now strongly leaning to these. With your experience of them, can you think of any downsides?

Nope
The only thing I’d say is that I’ve fitted Kumho Solus all season to our Evoque and in terms of dry and wet performance they are easily as good as the Michelin or Goodyears, perhaps even better in the wet, while being miles cheaper (40% cheaper).
If they are as good as the Mich or Goodyear on snow, then I will be a huge fan. 👏
But that remains to be seen, whereas I can already vouch for the Mich and Goodyear in atrocious snow.
I’ll be putting four of ‘something’ on the Born soon myself.

Nope
The only thing I’d say is that I’ve fitted Kumho Solus all season to our Evoque and in terms of dry and wet performance they are easily as good as the Michelin or Goodyears, perhaps even better in the wet, while being miles cheaper (40% cheaper).
If they are as good as the Mich or Goodyear on snow, then I will be a huge fan. 👏
But that remains to be seen, whereas I can already vouch for the Mich and Goodyear in atrocious snow.
I’ll be putting four of ‘something’ on the Born soon myself.
Thanks. Good to know. I'll look at the Kumho, but I know from previous Rangies, Landies and even the Panda 4x4 that a 4x4's capabilities often mask tyre shortcomings. Like last winter, we went scooting around happily in the Panda, which failed its MOT on balding tyres a couple of months later.

Something i've not seen come up, and is probably already taken into account.

Are you going for XL marked tyres, to cope with the extra weight in the car? I know some tyre models have standard and xl versions - so best to get the higher load?

Are you going for XL marked tyres, to cope with the extra weight in the car? I know some tyre models have standard and xl versions - so best to get the higher load?

As long as you match the standard load (or higher) you’re fine.
From memory the load rating is 95.

Ah, I'd not taken that specifically into account, as I understood the load rating number is what provides the correct specification. But a quick search shows Michelin saying:

"Some tyres are also marked XL. This stands for "Extra Load".
It simply means that the tyre has been reinforced to be able to carry heavier loads than standard tyres of the same dimension. This type of tyre is generally used on heavier vehicles, for example SUVs ."

That's as clear as mud, and my marketeer detector is twitching like fury, but could mean that they regard a tyre above a certain rating as "XL".

Against that, I was surprised to see how much variation in weight there was among the different tyres. The video summaries in the clip @JonnyG mentioned in this thread gave the weights, and these varied markedly.

While on the subject of tyres, our ZSEV is due its first service next week, would any member believe it would be a good idea to have the tyres rotated to even out the wear. I am in two minds, I can imagine the service dept. will charge for this, so will it be worth the cost ?
Does the ZS TPMS work like the MG4? Swapping the wheels around on the MG4 will confuse it as it doesn't know you've moved them. As @bowfer says - not really sure it achieves much

FWIW the Contis on my MY22 SE SR have XL moulded on them, as well as V (speed rating). From memory ...

215/50 R17 V XL

Does the ZS TPMS work like the MG4? Swapping the wheels around on the MG4 will confuse it as it doesn't know you've moved them. As @bowfer says - not really sure it achieves much

If you're on a lease deal it can make the difference between (A) having to buy a set of 2 new tyres (due to not swapping and one axle wearing out it's tyres) or (B) evening out the wear by swapping to allow no new tyres (i.e all four tyres last the whole of the lease term). Given your username I thought you'd like the latter !!

As long as all four tyres are legal there is no deduction at the end of the lease for tyre wear.

I guess the lease company (or the next owner) wouldn't know you'd switched the wheels round until they had an issue!

Just for info my SE SR has done 15,000 miles and rear tyres are down to 4.8mm (fronts 5.8mm) and triggered an amber warning at the service last week. Looks like it will be another year before I need to change the tyres, currently thinking of Michelin CC2 instead of full winters, that I normally do with a second set of wheels.

I see the MG4 Owners Manual recommends Tyre Rotation (under the Service and Maintenance section) but states that TPMS coding by an MG dealer is required after changing wheel positions !

Quote :-

"Tyre Rotation - It is recommended that you swap wheels at irregular intervals in order to equalise tyre wear. When the tyres are worn seriously, it is recommended to swap the front and rear wheels as shown in illustration. This can prevent tyres from uneven wear, prolong the life span and balance tyre fatigue. It is favourable to swap the driving wheels from front to rear and exchange non-driving wheels across."

Interesting thread.

My tuppence worth.

Michelin are expensive for a reason. In my personal experience they last longer, once three times longer than Dunlops.

I will NEVER buy Hankooks again, nothing to do with performance but rather longevity. Again in my personal experience I've had to replace Hankooks prematurely twice due to excessive cracking, once after only 10 months.

Our Hyundai daily came with Hankooks from the factory and were cracked enough to get an 'amber' at the second service.

Make sure you ask/check the DOT CODE to make sure your 'new' tyres are actually new.

Personal preference has been for Hankooks. Had them on my old Golf, have them on my current ZS. I've found the wear rate to be about the same on both, and they've been pretty decent in the depths of winter.

My oldies have a set of Vectors fitted to their Volvo V70, and they been saying good things about those. I did have a set fitted to my Golf, but it went bye bye before I could use it in winter weather.

As far as tyre ratings go, as long as you're matching or exceeding speed and load ratings, you'll be ok. Have known a few people who thought tyres are just black and round, and everything else doesn't matter, and they've come unstuck (literally, when their tyres have given up the ghost relatively quickly) because they didn't pay attention to the load ratings.

As SteveO says, check the date codes to make sure you're not getting old stock.

I had Hankook summer tyres on a Golf R back in 2016 and they were good. I have used Vredestein winters in the past on a Q3 and they were very good. I will be considering the Continental All Seasons if I go for the Xpower.

I changed the OEM tyres at 6k to Crossclimate 2's which I've again recently changed at 38k miles to Vector Gen 3's (Costco had an amazing deal) which I've done around 2k on now so have a little bit of experience of them & did quite a bit of research too like yourself, I had it down to these 2, as everything else seems compromised in some area.

The Crossclimate's I'd say have better feel (perhaps it's with the Vectors being new & larger tread blocks) but initially I'd say the Michelin's are the more driver focused tyre in the dry, as you've probably seen the Goodyear's beat them in the rain, they definitely seem better when wet which was my only real complaint about the Crossclimate's. Michelin's probably ever soo slightly better in snow but they're both rated highly there but hopefully I won't find out this winter!, I was astounded how good the Michelin's were in the white stuff last winter up here in the North.

Re wear, the Michelin's I was very impressed with getting 32k (tyre fitter asked why I'm changing them as they still had around 2/3mm but I do school transport and wasn't using the car for 6 weeks so had plenty of downtime) they wore very even too. From all the tests I've looked at the Goodyear's are even better so if that's important, I'm not expecting to have to change these until nearer 80k or past now.

Tbh there both really good tyres imo, both much much better, even in the dry than the OEM Continental's but given the choice I'd probably go for the Michelin's next time, just for the feedback, I've not noticed and real efficiency drop in either although it has been warmer since having the Goodyear's fitted but I believe the Crossclimate's have a slightly lower rolling resistance too, hope this helps. 😃

Last edited:
When I bullied my garage into fitting winter tyres to my Golf, he supplied Hankooks. They were miraculous. No, I'd never heard of them either, but they were great.
Hankooks are a reliable brand and standard fit to Kia and certain Tesla models including the newly announced Model 3 Refresh for Tesla watchers

Hankooks are a reliable brand and standard fit to Kia and certain Tesla models including the newly announced Model 3 Refresh for Tesla watchers
I wouldn’t touch hankooks, the ones fitted to my new (at the time ) merc a250 were the worst tyre I have experienced in years, just no grip and wore extremely quickly.

Seems Hankooks are a mixed bag - either that or people will never agree about tyres!
Same as every other brand, good and bad models. Look at the continentals on the 4, they are pretty poor doesn't mean all continentals are crap

Same as every other brand, good and bad models. Look at the continentals on the 4, they are pretty poor doesn't mean all continentals are crap
They are Chinese market continentals though, not ones we can buy here.

Then people need to recommend not just a brand but a specific tyre.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back