Better than advertised miles.

mattdonaghy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
IMG_0146.jpeg

Anybody managing to better the advertised mileage consistently. 582 miles in and I’m getting around 310miles out of a full charge. I normally just charge the car to 100% when using free chargers out and about , I know this isn’t recommended but I’ve not used the home charger yet. Model is a trophy in camden grey.

Wow, that’s really good, what settings do you have and what sort of driving are you doing (motorway, A-roads, in town driving)

Just seen on the picture you have it in eco and full regen 👍👍👍

I have the SR and right now it's only admitting to me getting about 165 miles on a full charge (as opposed to the advertised 218). I'm putting this down to the low temperatures (I was getting an ice warning all day yesterday and I saw 1C when I was nearly home), and my driving being a combination of three-mile hops to and from the next village and (yesterday) belting along a dual carriageway at seventy. Also, the car is brand new, and I've not got used to the idea of one-pedal driving yet - I'm using the brake more than I need to. I haven't had it in eco either, and I had the heating on.

I'm perfectly happy. It's costing a lot less to run than my GTI was costing in petrol, and the range I have is enough for me to get back home without having to charge for pretty much all of my motoring. I'm not going to start driving like Miss Daisy just to get home with 50% charge rather than 40%. On the relatively rare occasions I might drive a longer distance in the day I'm not going to be in that much of a hurry anyway.

View attachment 17124
Anybody managing to better the advertised mileage consistently. 582 miles in and I’m getting around 310miles out of a full charge. I normally just charge the car to 100% when using free chargers out and about , I know this isn’t recommended but I’ve not used the home charger yet. Model is a trophy in camden grey.
Can you show us the average over a longer distance than 5.7 miles? It is relatively easy to get great figures over a short distance (eg downhill). Not doubting you, just thinking it would be more convincing to see it over 200+ miles, for example.

I went to a friends house Saturday evening which involves dual carriageways, A roads and winding country lanes. I thought I would see how high I could get the m/kWh reading driving defensively in ECO.
All went to plan until some boy racer decided to come up close behind me off the island and up the slip road onto the duel carriageway. Needless to say I only managed 2.9 m/kWh 🤣

I went to a friends house Saturday evening which involves dual carriageways, A roads and winding country lanes. I thought I would see how high I could get the m/kWh reading driving defensively in ECO.
All went to plan until some boy racer decided to come up close behind me off the island and up the slip road onto the duel carriageway. Needless to say I only managed 2.9 m/kWh 🤣

Who won?

Just checking. Well done.

I had mine on a dual carriageway for the first time yesterday and I was over 70 before I had quite realised, and it felt as if there was plenty more in the tank. Overtakes beautifully, no fuss, and as regards getting away at traffic lights, it's nearly as hot as my GTI but without the wheelspin.

I can't really justify the cost of the Cyberster, and anyway I needed a car this summer at the latest and I'm not going to be the first one to have to do the snagging on a brand new model.

Driving is mainly on an and b roads. Full charge is showing 310 miles on the energy distribution page it shows an average of 6mkwh over the last 50miles. Have to say I’m impressed with the car and only negative I have found did the paint thickness, require a touch up pen already and I can’t source one anywhere it seems

Can you show us the average over a longer distance than 5.7 miles? It is relatively easy to get great figures over a short distance (eg downhill). Not doubting you, just thinking it would be more convincing to see it over 200+ miles, for example.
Warrington to Doncaster over the M62 this afternoon:

IMG_20230426_182321.jpg

Lot of traffic and roadworks. In the places I could go faster I let just the ACC follow a lorry so I could chill.

Beginning to think the 4 might be snapping at the heels of the Kona EV in warmer weather re efficiency. I did around 60 miles yesterday, pretty chilly, 8 degrees or so, thrashed it on the dual carriageway for a bit, some quieter twisty B road stuff too.
Energy use never entered my mind , still showed bang on 4 miles kWh when I parked up, I think 5 will be fairly easy maybe from next month onward.
Was concerned when I picked up my SE standard in December that the 50 kWh battery was the wrong choice, now it's beginning to feel more adequate I'm pleased to say.

I'm still happy with the SR battery because I can see it will take me at least 50 miles and back in freezing conditions with the heating on as fast as I want to go, but let's face it when I did that yesterday I was seeing 2.8 miles per KWh.

The temperatures were very low though, under 4C pretty much the entire time and I saw 1C at one point. Also, I'm not doing the one-pedal driving thing instinctively yet so I was using the brake a lot more than I probably needed to use it. Warmer weather, less need for heating, more use of regenerative braking and maybe not going quite so fast on the A8, should see an improvement.

The SR battery doesn't have any of the dreaded cobalt, it seems not to be such a prima donna as regards charging (just whack it up to 100% and leave it there) and the acceleration from stop is a hair better than in the LR.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back