Better than advertised miles.

IMG_20230428_160907.jpg

Summer range after a recent reset :D

More city driving as you can see from the average. Still though...

I obviously drive much too fast or something. I was still on 2.0 until almost three miles into my journey, when the numbers started increasing. About eight miles in I turned off the heating to see what would happen. Unfortunately for the experiment this was the highest point of my journey and it was downhill from there. I did see it hit about 4.2 at one stage.

I obviously drive much too fast or something. I was still on 2.0 until almost three miles into my journey, when the numbers started increasing. About eight miles in I turned off the heating to see what would happen. Unfortunately for the experiment this was the highest point of my journey and it was downhill from there. I did see it hit about 4.2 at one stage.
Nice swoopy roads over that way though 🤩

Look at the A702 just north of Silverburn, and again just north of Dolphinton. Not so swoopy.

Some years ago a motorcyclist was caught on a mobile radar trap doing 161 mph on the Dolphinton straight. The actual speed limit is 60 mph. He ended up in jail.

I had actually just driven the Silverburn straight, heading north, when I switched the heater off. On the way back at that point I was caught behind an ICE car whose driver was too chicken to overtake a slow-moving lorry, and had to drive sedately. I noticed the MG4's power output hitting 100% when I finally managed to overtake the damn lorry just south of Carlops.

Look at the A702 just north of Silverburn, and again just north of Dolphinton. Not so swoopy.

Some years ago a motorcyclist was caught on a mobile radar trap doing 161 mph on the Dolphinton straight. The actual speed limit is 60 mph. He ended up in jail.

I had actually just driven the Silverburn straight, heading north, when I switched the heater off. On the way back at that point I was caught behind an ICE car whose driver was too chicken to overtake a slow-moving lorry, and had to drive sedately. I noticed the MG4's power output hitting 100% when I finally managed to overtake the damn lorry just south of Carlops.
OK but I’ve never owned a vehicle, bike or car, capable of anywhere near 161. So I’ll just enjoy all the interconnecting swoops on all the roads over that way 😃. Lovely countryside.

OK but I’ve never owned a vehicle, bike or car, capable of anywhere near 161. So I’ll just enjoy all the interconnecting swoops on all the roads over that way 😃. Lovely countryside.

Oh sure, it's great. I was just musing that it has straight bits too.

The first thing I did when I got the car was go down the A701 to Moffat. The second thing I did was resolve never to leave the Lane Assist on ever again. Or the speed limit detector, come to that. (Not that I was going that fast, but that it recognised the speed limit signs for HGVs and then spent miles and miles telling me I was breaking that limit, when I knew I was perfectly legal.)

I was getting a hugely different result this morning. I drove less than a mile in total, just crawling through the village (it was cold and wet and I needed something from the chemist). It came on at 2.2 miles/KW and was up well above 3 before I got back. I start every journey crawling through the village, but previously I was a couple of miles beyond that before I'd see even 2.1.

I'd be surprised if this was only due to the heater being off, maybe the car and me are settling down?

I am typically getting 4.3m/kWh over some 220 miles. This is a combination of M5 and normal roads. I use the normal mode with regeneration at 3. Quite happy with that at this stage.

Are you using the heater? Personally, I'm not prepared to freeze my bits off just to get a nice efficiency figure, but I'm curious to know how much difference it makes.

View attachment 17124
Anybody managing to better the advertised mileage consistently. 582 miles in and I’m getting around 310miles out of a full charge. I normally just charge the car to 100% when using free chargers out and about , I know this isn’t recommended but I’ve not used the home charger yet. Model is a trophy in camden grey.
Hi there, how the hell are you getting the 310 and the 5.1 mls/kw ?

Are you using the heater? Personally, I'm not prepared to freeze my bits off just to get a nice efficiency figure, but I'm curious to know how much difference it makes.
It's a massive difference. Obviously it's complicated but I assume about a 1mi/kWh drop when I switch it on. I've seen it pull >6kW initially and would guess it's around 1kW to maintain the temperature.

I agree with you that it's stupid to be cold just for the numbers.

I do however try to leave the heater off when it has minimal impact. For example; on my lunch break I drive 0.5 miles home so I switch the heater off as it would be drawing a lot of power but not even getting the cabin warm.

At this time of year it's often the case that although the air temperature is low the solar gain is high enough to keep us warm. I've found fan speed 1 directed at the windscreen is enough to keep the windows clear whilst not cooling us down.

Yes, I've found that. I had intended to switch the heater back on for my return journey yesterday, but I didn't bother because the solar gain had prevented the car cooling down when I was in the supermarket.

As you say, it's getting the cabin up to temperature that's the trick. I'm wondering. If the car is plugged in when the 10-minute pre-heating is activated, will that lower the battery level, or will the power either come from the mains, or be replenished from the mains? I find that if the car is warm when I get into it I'm less bothered about turning it into a sauna while I'm driving.

I only tried it once, just to see how it worked, and the car was absolutely toasty. I didn't notice whether the battery percentage had dropped or not.

I'll be pleased to see the range increasing as the weather gets warmer, but well warned to be careful on long journeys in winter when I absolutely refuse to freeze even if it means an extra charge.

I'm wondering. If the car is plugged in when the 10-minute pre-heating is activated, will that lower the battery level, or will the power either come from the mains, or be replenished from the mains?

I only tried it once, just to see how it worked, and the car was absolutely toasty. I didn't notice whether the battery percentage had dropped or not.
Mine will only preheat when charging but it does take the power from the mains with the remainder going to the battery. You can see it by refreshing the charging power screen on the ismart app as a drop in charging rate when the heater is running.

I don't know what happens to the cars for cars that can pre heat whilst plugged in but not charging.

Mine wasn't charging when I pre-heated it the only time I've ever tried that. It wasn't even connected to the charger.

We should be getting out of the time of year when pre-heating is really needed (though I do wonder - it was 6C here this morning, I just wish the east wind would change). So not much scope for experimentation!

Warrington to Doncaster over the M62 this afternoon:

View attachment 17139
Lot of traffic and roadworks. In the places I could go faster I let just the ACC follow a lorry so I could chill.
This is still early days for me but I feel that adaptive cruise control isn't the best for my trophy range. I feel it brakes more rather than using the regen when the accelator pedal is let go.

This is still early days for me but I feel that adaptive cruise control isn't the best for my trophy range. I feel it brakes more rather than using the regen when the accelator pedal is let go.
I've only tried adaptive a couple of times and didn't like it as I like to know exactly how the car is going to respond to my inputs. I would be surprised though to find out it used the brakes instead of regen.

I always run with maximum regen but try not to use it. When decelerating I try to judge how far I can coast then hold the accelerator pedal so the energy meter shows 0%. Timed right I should not have to use power or regen. It does take some practice as you have to learn to release the pedal with the same precision that you press it down but it soon becomes second nature.

The picture I posted was achieved in exceptional conditions and really going all out to maximise efficiency. The return was done using heating and going 70-75mph, the Mrs will only humour my hypermiling so much :):

IMG_20230427_195658.jpg

Pretty happy with this today, journey from Woburn to Henley-on-Thames. Real mix of dual carriageway, A road, B road, plus towns, kind of WLTP drive, at around 10-15 degrees. Super easy charge using EZ Charge in Henley, returned to the car with 100% showing 230 miles predicted (SE SR)

fRMzMZ1uTvpmQWZ2EsJBqVN49ZWZmm6wKTlPd2xysRYtuF7P7zClm5p2CUlbdUdilSzH6f3C1qnrx-Rt59lQV9j64PY99fcjZAkITQU2cQLifTYQz53ZoIOlFYgGdjTZ4j4N3jHReo6vvg70zcyXlPGhAz6ihCAZ-YKaEODF_Xb0318Nx2v3WxPwk9xbHdIL3Za2lX18gbxkUUNwA89vrlv_mGhmQOcL3pylBlqtQAjUtZQ_QI0FGzTzb3aH4CsrEOXTM7vcdBY9n7wnQ6q72-l1P66AKQLjchv0CAXyyQja-Jy-ZUHu_BlX8ioSDREFcyF_H3HDen2J-A0tAS45Qg5_uF5BQYSjjlrETwnx6fFb9VBZqtmxnMK_SAQfSGVlje23DmvMVGNDeunp2H21eDWG4OFAoVKg4kzIYqol0EziuKtJdXjA7cMeofgi1eCkjoO7BQ01GZBUlKMDsPxYrYibrQG1ExU3SZYcf30cfynDzZIgLDkzouXE6OtvwVvDxdEGxxZ7271wJMAQwOoP0T4j1DyM0wpFhoIfDb29FHHTMkmUZYz_cerrlfXtSDVREaBv4xA6K8ibWXCKdkIgT7EOyOV2sJ2_KZ7f2e0dGuIQGy8M7jdDZQpHd757a-xv-ngz3K8fOjhY1yw4cD7_9wRNZCz6vT6T6XqfVCRDtTl2bttEIyUZ5uXQyQHuZI-dOieeIUg65olBW4i3yHtZWnkY3iK-o-UwyG-CH0JNK2AWv6oqJF6daE0YwMRQfilwxH7YCo3YQcoDuUgavlgaiYycAgVIMiWHJuATZqZgjIM2HuB0INg6Wr_0caDh94FFgLXP17ly9tJG8_iWjj7V5BM3lrRUDCXv2GbZJX-DrrPaLQ0c3yTpwWRoKH97LXQ0-reOM_Mz13Nj32rTVCmrY0MPlktAlhJNWRV9TbDuXI7eWVWZGVKOhNfjJy0YbQY9Gw_Y3w81TECrIOWzxLg=w2588-h2028-s-no

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back