Binding second phone with the app

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,

I'm trying to bind my other half's phone to the car with the MG iSmart app but unless I am going mad, the Users menu is not showing so I can't get in.

How does one bind a second phone? Do I have to unbind my phone first?

Any advice gratefully received! I am aware that you cannot have two phones bound at the same time.

Thanks all.

I honestly still think the bind is confusing. All you are doing is using a phone with the app to link the car vin (via the QR code) with your user ID. Once done you should be able to theoretically use any phones or even tablets (as I have done on two EV's) to communicate with the car using the same login details. This helps, for example, if you are a new iPhone every year...or Samsung etc. type of person or your phone is lost or stolen or dies on you. The initial set up phone is not locked to the bind it is/was merely a tool to set it up. The one thing I don't honestly know is if the central server holds device ID's and can limit device numbers....or have I got this completely wrong on ismart?

I honestly still think the bind is confusing. All you are doing is using a phone with the app to link the car vin (via the QR code) with your user ID. Once done you should be able to theoretically use any phones or even tablets (as I have done on two EV's) to communicate with the car using the same login details. This helps, for example, if you are a new iPhone every year...or Samsung etc. type of person or your phone is lost or stolen or dies on you. The initial set up phone is not locked to the bind it is/was merely a tool to set it up. The one thing I don't honestly know is if the central server holds device ID's and can limit device numbers....or have I got this completely wrong on ismart?
If it is relevant, my dealer suggested binding with an email address was better in case phone number changes, though equally so could an email address.

Was it not also the case early on that people were not getting the sms response to facilitate the bind or am I confusing it with something else?

Was it not also the case early on that people were not getting the sms response to facilitate the bind or am I confusing it with something else?
I remember that too, although I used email address so no SMS needed.

Edit: I think that was because you needed to drop the leading '0' and people did not realise.

No - the issue was that the MG system simply did not send the SMS codes. (I had tried all combinations to add my mobile number to my account [which I setup initially via email]). When MG changed their server/location the SMS function worked straight away. :)

No - the issue was that the MG system simply did not send the SMS codes. (I had tried all combinations to add my mobile number to my account [which I setup initially via email]). When MG changed their server/location the SMS function worked straight away. :)
Ok, that's another issue then - some people were using the leading zero as well, which was another problem. With email you don't have either issue.

Tried both phone and email options today when we collected our new MG4 Trophy, couldn't get either to work in terms of a successful "bind" with the in-car system. Hearing that the app may be faulty. I tried 2 different phones, same result. We did successfully receive the SMS activation codes from a number in Sweden.

Current version of the app (Android) is v1.1.10, and no updates are showing for me (in app or Play store).

The current problem seems to be (for me at least) a distinct lack of "Connect to vehicle" QR code on the relevant infotainment screen. Possibly due to MGs server issues.

You can only bind one phone with the app. However you can login to the iSMART app on another phone using the same login account details. :)

Logging in on one phone will logout the other phone - only one can be logged in at any time.

But how do you login with that other phone?

Using the registered user ID/password of the account. One account, one password can be used across multiple devices BUT only one can be active. So the new login will kick out the existing

Last edited:
Sorry for being dim - but step by step how is this done? ie in the car or on the phone app. If on the app, which option do I click on ismart to start registering?

First set up the app on your phone then register with user id (email) and set password. Then go to the car to do the bind process. This links the car with your user id via the app. See here for info and video

Then you should be able to see car status and do remote commands via the phone app.

Set up the app on other devices, phones or tablets. You should then be able to log in using the user id and password you set up previously on these devices.

What other info can this forum provide you with?

Thanks - we now can alternate use of the ismart app between my phone and my wife's phone!

To help others, on our 2 day old Trophy, the binding process would not work until we had 'Restore to factory settings' in 'Settings' then 'System' in the car.

On the phones, the 'Login' option does not show on the phone currently using the ismart app. It only shows on the other phone - which now makes sense. Once the other phone is logged in, it does indeed kick out the first phone so only one phone can be used at any one time.

Clunky, but it seems to work.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel