Bit of reassurance for the MG5

I have come from a discovery 4. I have a knackered lower back too.
I have an exclusive LR. The seats are very good for my back, I'm having the glass tinted in a few weeks. I am very happy with it. Quick, oh yes.
The more I drive it, the happier I am. Also its a company car leased. The Leasing company have allowed me to tint the windows. I pay bugger all company car tax and the employer pays much reduced class 1 a national insurance too. It's a win win I think.
I gave up being a brand snob a few years ago, so I am happy to tell people about the MG5

My neighbour has an id3. I have an MG5. I like both and would be happy with either TBH, but they are different. The VW has a nicer ride and is a bit more dynamic. It also has nicer tech, which is probably more of a thing for you, Tweed. On the downside, it's a lot more expensive and there is a belief VW have cheapened and cut corners recently.

The MG has very soft handling and the touchscreen is annoying. On the other hand, it's astonishingly comfie, especially if you're putting some miles down. The reversing camera sounds like a minor thing, but it's much better even than 60K Jags. It's got loads of space if you're doing tip runs, and having proper buttons for the heating vs touchscreen is a good way of saving your sanity. MG can be a bit dodgy on dealers, but the servicing on the id3s can be a nightmare, so bit of a draw there too.

I would say though, that both cars are better to own than the Tesla, unless you really need the supercharger network and love minimalism. So I don't think you'll be losing out either way.

A VW dealer told me they've designed the id3 for an 8 year life and to be as recyclable as possible that could lead to a cheap feel if they aren't going for durability.
Could also be a loaf hogwash and they are just cheap!

A VW dealer told me they've designed the id3 for an 8 year life and to be as recyclable as possible that could lead to a cheap feel if they aren't going for durability.
That’s a lot of money to expect people to pay for an 8 year life.

I’d probably say that’s slight hogwash. The materials are soft touch and quite nice, but they won’t age well. You would probably look at the unpleasant hard plastics in older MGs if you want durability.

But I don’t want to dump on the id3. It’s still a good car for the price point. You see a lot of cars at 70 or 80 grand and you have to wonder if they are 35 or 40 grand better.

That’s a lot of money to expect people to pay for an 8 year life.

The dealer said the theory was first owner has it for 3-4 years; next owner is then back to Wolfsburg for stripping down. I'd say that they're probably selling most electric cars as company car and to the public via lease or finance, people unlikely to keep the car beyond that 4 year mark.
He said leather wasn't an option for upholstery as it wasn't a sustainable product.

Maybe they don't have faith in their batteries lasting 10 years!

The dealer said the theory was first owner has it for 3-4 years; next owner is then back to Wolfsburg for stripping down. I'd say that they're probably selling most electric cars as company car and to the public via lease or finance, people unlikely to keep the car beyond that 4 year mark.
He said leather wasn't an option for upholstery as it wasn't a sustainable product.

Maybe they don't have faith in their batteries lasting 10 years!
Keep the car for 8 years, then offload.

Right I've had my MG5 for nearly two months now so I thought I would finish this thread off.

Like.
Speed -
This has the same power as my old car but uses it better so acceleration at the lights and overtaking is easy.
KERS - Level 3 and driving is nice and relaxed.
Interior space. - The boot swallowed an overloaded Costco trolleys worth of food and tat that the Missus and I bought. The level footwell gives extra storage as well. I took my in-laws out in it the first weekend I had it, even with three grown ups on the back seat there were no complaints.
Fueling - Free charging at work and have done two on the road stops at Gridserves and it didn't feel like a chore.
Noise - Lack thereof from the engine and the radio sounds pretty good too. Wind noise wasn't too obtrusive on the motorway.
Ride - It goes over potholes and roadbumps nice and smoothly.
Handling - It goes where I point it. I'm not rally driving on country roads anymore!
ACC & Lane Keep - Used appropriately these work nicely. Can't be used on small roads or the machine has a fit!
Heating - Fast and clears the windscreen quickly on my drive.

Meh.
Settings persistence -
Mentioned on the forums lots. Why do you have to do the same things every time you get in, why can't the KERS, driving mode and auto hold stay the same?!
DAB radio - The temporary fix is a bit messy, have a horrible feeling this will still be here when I send it back in 4 years. Especially annoying as I don't use it!
Screen brightness - Too bright, not dazzlingly bright but just the wrong side of comfortable on country lanes.
Headlights - Just the wrong side of bright enough. Not dangerously dim but have bought nightbreakers to see if that helps.
Courtesy Lights - Nothing, just a splash of light would make the car feel a bit nicer at night. My '07 Audi had a dim glowing red light to gently illuminate the buttons and footwell lights. My '14 Focus had footwell lights, my '18 Leon had footwell lights, and nice illuminated door cards which you could change the colours on. A colleague gave me a lift home in her new Ibiza that had some nice illuminated door cards and vents. I've bought some aftermarket footwell lights so have a nice red glow by my feet. Now I just have to tidy the cables up!
Interior Lights - Seriously only one dim warm white light in the front of a family car and one tiny light in the boot? I know this car is priced low but £1 of cabling and £5 for a light fitting isn't going to break the bank! I currently have a toddler in a car seat twice a day and this time of year even with street lights and my house wall lights the back seats are darker than a coal mine!

Dislike
Driver Seat -
The first 4 weeks were fine, I was singing its praises for being comfortable then I noticed my back and leg being sore when I got to work and back home, now it is becoming out-and-out pain when driving or just after. My back pain is "mechanical" according to the rheumatologist I saw and usually is down to me being inactive or putting on weight. I've lost weight and thanks to the previously mentioned toddler, I've never been more active in the evenings and weekends! Nothing else has changed eg workstation, bed or Sofa and they are all relatively new.
Software - This is the one area that MG have really let itself down in. Cars are computers on wheels and aside from possibly Tesla all manufacturers have done a rubbish job but the one on the MG is missing so many features that they have on other cars and that other manufacturers have done before them eg prestart heating, charging timers etc that would have made this a great car from a good car. Then you get to the dashboard software. My Leon had driving tips flash up to remind you to change gears/close windows etc. These could be turned off in options or dismissed with the OK button. Why does MG think I won't have noticed I have turned my full beams on? I don't need to loose my speedo for 5 seconds when everything has turned bricht and there is a bricht blue light on the dash!! DItto when you change the ACC speed or go close to the line. WHy do I want to loose my speedo for these changes!!!
Automatic Air Conditioning - This is terrible. Put the AC on Auto then within 5 minutes my windscreen has misted up. Put it on windscreen clear and change the fan speed I then have to fiddle with the settings to stay comfortable. All cars I've had since 2005 have had dual-zone climate control where I set the temperature and then left it alone. I've checked the doors for tape over drain holes and haven't found any.

All in all a good car but could be made better with a few cheap changes. When my colleagues get the face lift 5s I'll see if the changes are better or worse

Right I've had my MG5 for nearly two months now so I thought I would finish this thread off.

Meh.

Screen brightness -
Too bright, not dazzlingly bright but just the wrong side of comfortable on country lanes.

Dislike
Driver Seat -
The first 4 weeks were fine, I was singing its praises for being comfortable then I noticed my back and leg being sore when I got to work and back home, now it is becoming out-and-out pain when driving or just after. My back pain is "mechanical" according to the rheumatologist I saw and usually is down to me being inactive or putting on weight. I've lost weight and thanks to the previously mentioned toddler, I've never been more active in the evenings and weekends! Nothing else has changed eg workstation, bed or Sofa and they are all relatively new.

Automatic Air Conditioning - This is terrible. Put the AC on Auto then within 5 minutes my windscreen has misted up. Put it on windscreen clear and change the fan speed I then have to fiddle with the settings to stay comfortable. All cars I've had since 2005 have had dual-zone climate control where I set the temperature and then left it alone. I've checked the doors for tape over drain holes and haven't found any.

All in all a good car but could be made better with a few cheap changes. When my colleagues get the face lift 5s I'll see if the changes are better or worse
Screen - At night, I get in and press a button, satnav or settings and the screen goes dark enough for the lanes

Driver seat - Last winter, I got a stiff right leg & arm driving. Same with aircon in the summer when hot. I found it to be the cold air by the door from the HVAC etc. I've close the flaps that side, even resorted to a small blanket over my right leg in the winter. That worked. Also in summer, I sit on a towel due to seat sweat! A weakness of the MG5

Automatic Air Conditioning - Yes, never really solve when 2+ in the car. I just turn up the heat / use the up arrow until air is directed upwards then adjust fan speed. Again not ideal, or press demist button & slow fan speed. Both work.

Like.
Speed -
This has the same power as my old car but uses it better so acceleration at the lights and overtaking is easy.
Interior space. - The boot swallowed an overloaded Costco trolleys worth of food and tat that the Missus and I bought. The level footwell gives extra storage as well. I took my in-laws out in it the first weekend I had it, even with three grown ups on the back seat there were no complaints.
Fueling - Free charging at work and have done two on the road stops at Gridserves and it didn't feel like a chore.
Noise - Lack thereof from the engine and the radio sounds pretty good too. Wind noise wasn't too obtrusive on the motorway.
Handling - It goes where I point it. I'm not rally driving on country roads anymore!
ACC & Lane Keep - Used appropriately these work nicely. Can't be used on small roads or the machine has a fit!

Meh.
Settings persistence -
Mentioned on the forums lots. Why do you have to do the same things every time you get in, why can't the KERS, driving mode and auto hold stay the same?!
DAB radio - The temporary fix is a bit messy, have a horrible feeling this will still be here when I send it back in 4 years. Especially annoying as I don't use it!
Screen brightness - Too bright, not dazzlingly bright but just the wrong side of comfortable on country lanes.
Headlights - Just the wrong side of bright enough. Not dangerously dim but have bought nightbreakers to see if that helps.
Courtesy Lights - Nothing, just a splash of light would make the car feel a bit nicer at night. My '07 Audi had a dim glowing red light to gently illuminate the buttons and footwell lights. My '14 Focus had footwell lights, my '18 Leon had footwell lights, and nice illuminated door cards which you could change the colours on. A colleague gave me a lift home in her new Ibiza that had some nice illuminated door cards and vents. I've bought some aftermarket footwell lights so have a nice red glow by my feet. Now I just have to tidy the cables up!
Interior Lights - Seriously only one dim warm white light in the front of a family car and one tiny light in the boot? I know this car is priced low but £1 of cabling and £5 for a light fitting isn't going to break the bank! I currently have a toddler in a car seat twice a day and this time of year even with street lights and my house wall lights the back seats are darker than a coal mine!

Dislike
Driver Seat -
Software - This is the one area that MG have really let itself down in. Cars are computers on wheels and aside from possibly Tesla all manufacturers have done a rubbish job but the one on the MG is missing so many features that they have on other cars and that other manufacturers have done before them eg prestart heating, charging timers etc that would have made this a great car from a good car. Then you get to the dashboard software. My Leon had driving tips flash up to remind you to change gears/close windows etc. These could be turned off in options or dismissed with the OK button. Why does MG think I won't have noticed I have turned my full beams on? I don't need to loose my speedo for 5 seconds when everything has turned bricht and there is a bricht blue light on the dash!! DItto when you change the ACC speed or go close to the line. WHy do I want to loose my speedo for these changes!!!

Re the driver’s seat, if it’s any help I can tell you that I swear by my Backfriend MEDesign products for back pain relief: MEDesign Backfriend, Backfriend Back Support, BFSWeb and it makes sure I don’t struggle in my MG5 LR (I have to take care of my back).

Last edited:

Like.
Speed -

Meh.
Settings persistence -

Dislike
Driver Seat -

Re Software for pre-heating, charging timers..... see facelift mk 2.

Re Automatic air conditioning, are you driving in Eco mode, it reduces the effect.

Re Software for pre-heating, charging timers..... see facelift mk 2.

Re Automatic air conditioning, are you driving in Eco mode, it reduces the effect.

It's a shame the facelift was announced after the company put the order in for mine. Rumours are flying that fleet just told a new starter it is a years wait for a facelift 5, I think wires may be crossed and he is due a ZS. It is something we've all whinged about to fleet, we're the group that was sold the EV dream with the VW and I was specifically sold on the pre-heating and they made zero effort to communicate the spec differences to us so we were a little miffed to find the MG app didn't work.

I've only used eco mode when I was doing a long trip and my heavy foot got the better of me. Still had plenty of range but I didn't want my range anxiety to get worse. The first fortnight I went straight into sport mode, but now it has got wet and the roads busier there is little opportunity or point of having the sport mode on.

Speaking of the pre-heating, I might make this a thread, but has anyone tried manually locking with the key when the system is on? I tried to heat the car as I have done with old cars, start the engine (system in EV case), lock with key, and have a cuppa in the warm. Come out to a defrosted/misted car and drive to work with a warm smug look.
The MG5 will only lock the door with the key when the system is on. If you turn everything off and try the key again the central locking fires and all door lock.

Screen - At night, I get in and press a button, satnav or settings and the screen goes dark enough for the lanes

Driver seat - Last winter, I got a stiff right leg & arm driving. Same with aircon in the summer when hot. I found it to be the cold air by the door from the HVAC etc. I've close the flaps that side, even resorted to a small blanket over my right leg in the winter. That worked. Also in summer, I sit on a towel due to seat sweat! A weakness of the MG5

Automatic Air Conditioning - Yes, never really solve when 2+ in the car. I just turn up the heat / use the up arrow until air is directed upwards then adjust fan speed. Again not ideal, or press demist button & slow fan speed. Both work.

I have google maps or waze on and even in the dark mode that screen is a little too bright so is the binnacle screen.

I'm thinking it is the bolsters on the squib are pushing into my leg, I've readjusted the seat to be higher as it seems to raise the back of the seat rather than the whole seat. I'm also realizing that the finish of the chair is quite grippy in my suit so I'm making sure I'm central on the seat. I think size is coming into it a bit.

The car is steaming up with just me in it. I was noticing it in October when it wasn't particularly cold. Leaving it on the windscreen setting does the trick, it's just you lose the automatic temperature adjustments then.

Re the driver’s seat, if it’s any help I can tell you that I swear by my Backfriend MEDesign products for back pain relief: MEDesign Backfriend, Backfriend Back Support, BFSWeb and it makes sure I don’t struggle in my MG5 LR (I have to take care of my back).

I'll give them a try.

It's a shame the facelift was announced after the company put the order in for mine. Rumours are flying that fleet just told a new starter it is a years wait for a facelift 5, I think wires may be crossed and he is due a ZS. It is something we've all whinged about to fleet, we're the group that was sold the EV dream with the VW and I was specifically sold on the pre-heating and they made zero effort to communicate the spec differences to us so we were a little miffed to find the MG app didn't work.

I've only used eco mode when I was doing a long trip and my heavy foot got the better of me. Still had plenty of range but I didn't want my range anxiety to get worse. The first fortnight I went straight into sport mode, but now it has got wet and the roads busier there is little opportunity or point of having the sport mode on.

Speaking of the pre-heating, I might make this a thread, but has anyone tried manually locking with the key when the system is on? I tried to heat the car as I have done with old cars, start the engine (system in EV case), lock with key, and have a cuppa in the warm. Come out to a defrosted/misted car and drive to work with a warm smug look.
The MG5 will only lock the door with the key when the system is on. If you turn everything off and try the key again the central locking fires and all door lock.
Pre-heating, sounds like a wonderful desirable thing doesn't it.
In an ICE powered vehicle there is a massive chunk of iron that needs to be heated by thousands of small explosions every minute to generate enough warmth to eventually open the thermostat so it can finally warm the car, that's when you need pre-heating.
With an EV the heat is (almost) instant so make that a very quick cup of coffee. I sit in the car turn heater and heated screen plus heated seats and 2 minutes I'm clear and away.
Re air con, once car is sufficiently warm and clear, I press the econ button with no AC and this keeps my car clear from then on. I do drive in normal mode as it seems to make no difference to economy anyway and does not restrict the heating.
These work for me it would be interesting to hear what works for others 🙂

Pre-heating, sounds like a wonderful desirable thing doesn't it.
In an ICE powered vehicle there is a massive chunk of iron that needs to be heated by thousands of small explosions every minute to generate enough warmth to eventually open the thermostat so it can finally warm the car, that's when you need pre-heating.
With an EV the heat is (almost) instant so make that a very quick cup of coffee. I sit in the car turn heater and heated screen plus heated seats and 2 minutes I'm clear and away.
Re air con, once car is sufficiently warm and clear, I press the econ button with no AC and this keeps my car clear from then on. I do drive in normal mode as it seems to make no difference to economy anyway and does not restrict the heating.
These work for me it would be interesting to hear what works for others 🙂
I have noticed that it clear the screen and warms up very quickly. Just have to see if it helps with the ice as well!

I have noticed that it clear the screen and warms up very quickly. Just have to see if it helps with the ice as well!
I think I may have partly solved the issue. Due to using the MG pilot stuff quite a bit I've moved my foot off of the pedals and appear to be man spreading putting pressure on my hip. This seems to be causing the back pain. I've shifted the chair further back than I used to which is OK now I don't have to use a clutch.
The chair still isn't super comfy so might have to invest in some sort of a cushion. I did joke at work that a beaded cushion would work well!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was never a fan of Rover or MG but I do understand that this is a totally different brand. MG has no dealers close to us so I wouldn't have considered it for a personal car, and checking the car out in the short time they gave us to make our minds up was not possible.
As for reviews they mostly say about cheap to buy and cheap running costs but they are things that I don't pay as it is a company car.
Of course there is a bit of badge envy, I'm 42 and was looking forward to a nice new modern looking car with loads of techy bits I liked, not the safety stuff, I never selected those on previous cars due to an inflated sense of my driving ability. The id.3 was also a car I had tried and liked and wanted. The MG5 is, well, a car my Grandad would liked and the tech inside it is noticeably older!
I recently had an id4 for a day and was glad to get back into my MG5 ! Just because something looks more modern does not make it a better driving or feel good car ! The 5 feels like a VW Golf estate but much quicker and does everything you need it to do with ease ,I am fortunate to be able to buy whatever car I like including the Mustang Mach e GT but when driving these cars I feel I am not getting good value for money and they just don’t feel better .the 5 is a very easy car to live with obviously it’s not going to win the best looking car award but who really cares these days ! when I first had one for the day I wanted to say MG5 it’s going to be crap especially with an MG badge on it ! But as much as I thought I would hate it after an hour of driving I truly liked it and was looking for the catch how they can produce and sell for the money .

I rejected the EV6, Ionic 5 and ID4 (never mind ID3) after test drives, due to cabin space. The design of all medium-sized cars with an 88 kW battery option doesn't leave enough cabin space for the driver.
I saved myself £18k and bought a MG5 LR. 60 kW battery size is the sweet spot for a medium-sized car - enough range and enough space.
My fold-up bike carrier (3 mountain bikes) lives in the boot with other bike kit - all good.
The car is competent and pleasant to drive. Its my wife's commute car and I drive it on the school run to Edinburgh (120 mile round trip) three times/week, usually with three kids on board.
I appreciate that a young man of 42 might have an image issue with the MG badge, Chinese origin and out-dated style, but I don't give a fig about that.

@Tweed98 I can fully empathise with your initial reservations about the MG5. Like you I have one as an option on my company car list, I really want to go electric (my wife has a Corsa e) but I also want something with plenty of room - especially in the boot. I'm moving from a Mondeo Titanium X which has been brilliant - roomy, comfortable, well equipped and decent performance. My first choice was the Skoda Enyaq but after placing my order my employer informed me that Skoda had revised the spec's of the Enyaq increasing prices in the process so if I still wanted one I would need to make a £3k contribution.

The other options are all quite small in comparison to the MG5 - e.g. Zoe, Citroën e-C4 and like you I was concerned that the MG5 looked bland and would feel cheap. Luckily I've been able to choose the facelifted version in LR Trophy spec, I took my wife to the local dealer to check one out before commiting and was actually really surprised and impressed, the quality inside and out was way better than I was expecting, the face-lift has made a big improvement inside and out and the level of equipment included is better than some cars costing thousands more.

I've now waiting for my MG5 LR Trophy in Picadilly Blue with an anticipated delivery date of 25th March and can't wait for it.

@Tweed98 I can fully empathise with your initial reservations about the MG5. Like you I have one as an option on my company car list, I really want to go electric (my wife has a Corsa e) but I also want something with plenty of room - especially in the boot. I'm moving from a Mondeo Titanium X which has been brilliant - roomy, comfortable, well equipped and decent performance. My first choice was the Skoda Enyaq but after placing my order my employer informed me that Skoda had revised the spec's of the Enyaq increasing prices in the process so if I still wanted one I would need to make a £3k contribution.

The other options are all quite small in comparison to the MG5 - e.g. Zoe, Citroën e-C4 and like you I was concerned that the MG5 looked bland and would feel cheap. Luckily I've been able to choose the facelifted version in LR Trophy spec, I took my wife to the local dealer to check one out before commiting and was actually really surprised and impressed, the quality inside and out was way better than I was expecting, the face-lift has made a big improvement inside and out and the level of equipment included is better than some cars costing thousands more.

I've now waiting for my MG5 LR Trophy in Picadilly Blue with an anticipated delivery date of 25th March and can't wait for it.
As a company car the MG5 trophy makes more sense as it has been tweaked to give a bit more modern feel the running gear and suspension remains the same as there wasn’t much wrong with it in the first place ! I purchased a brand new MG5 exclusive long range for £26495.00 and for that money it’s a steal and I didn’t think the upgrade to the new trophy at £32k was worth it ,also I thought the tried and tested exclusive may be free from the usual gremlins that most new models get. I believe there is no better usable EV out there for the money and the cherry on the cake is it drives great . Hope you enjoy your new car and welcome the the MG5 club .regards

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom