Bit of reassurance for the MG5

As I mentioned earlier its a company car. The company changed the only car available to an MG5 and I was given one night to decide if I wanted to stay on the scheme and take the car allowance. Due to child care issues I wasn't able to get to the nearest MG dealer on (it was a week night) so signed up for it.

I think the range will be sacrificed! I'd read about the wheel spin, is that due to less grippy tyres for better economy or massive torque from the electric motor?
Mostly the fact that MG haven't restricted the power curve, so you get full power from the start a bit like a Tesla without very advanced traction control. Most manufacturers restrict the power mapping at lower speeds. Floor it on a bend and you power slide! I have found it more nippy than a base Tesla.

Tyres are good enough but many do switch to all year tyres for extra grip in the wet for some improvement.

In the UK I've been driving like an old man, no rushes just getting there. On my EU adventure I increasingly pushed the car, harder & faster due to the faster better roads over there. I stuck to cruise control on the auto routes as I found the car just keeps going faster & faster otherwise, it will top out around 116 apparently, but not done much over 90 yet in the EU.

On the mountain roads absolutely everything held me up including sports cars. 2 foot driving, superb power & regen braking makes this a joy to drive. I never found it's limit.

A combination of both aided and abetted by a heavy right foot!
I’ve heard there are tyres the won’t slip but that’s just loose torque I reckon 🥴
A combination of both aided and abetted by a heavy right foot!
some folk mention tyres that won’t slip but I think that’s just loose torque

I'd read about the wheel spin, is that due to less grippy tyres for better economy or massive torque from the electric motor?
Both along with compromised geometry. It's no coincidence that MG have gone RWD for the MG4.

It does sound a bit like you are unhappy with the car before you even have even seen/driven it and I doubt that is ever going to make for a good ownership experience because you will just be looking for problems when it arrives!

The MG5 isn't perfect by any means, the infotainment system is frustratingly slow and unreliable, I personally find the seats uncomfortable on a long journey (I'm a rather skinny 65kg so maybe I don't have enough 'personal padding' ), the handling doesn't inspire confidence (although the car does hold the road well if you have blind faith), and some of the fit and finish is not quite what I would call 'high quality'. That said, it's a very good value EV that offers a good usable range in a car that has plenty of space. As an overall package I think it's hard to beat but it probably makes a lot less sense if you aren't paying for it!

I would suggest you see if there is a way to get out of the deal because, like I said, I doubt you will have a good ownership experience given the things you have raised.

I'm getting a 5 LR Exclusive next month as a company car. I'm really not looking forward to it as we were sold the EV dream on the VW id.3 (what I'd looked at for myself) but that got replaced a month later with the 5LR due to lead times (I personally would have waited). The effect inside the business has been quite interesting, of the future recipients of the MG5 who currently drive the Audi A3s, most of them have now requested the car allowances instead normally!
Unfortunately, as they gave us a day and a half to make up our minds I knew I'd have no time to pick a car, get prices, and get a test drive in so I had to accept (also after deciding to go back to the company motor scheme I put some of the savings towards my wife's new Puma leaving me little left me to get a decent motorway runner) so I'm looking for a bit of reassurance as the only positive I'm seeing is cheap running costs if I beat the others to one of the two charging points at work that and I can do some decent tip runs in it.
I have a nearly two-year-old in a rear facing seat and I'm worried by the lack of space in the rear of the vehicle for his seat and I'm rather used to a good arm rest, does that one in the brochure photo slide forwards? I'd say that the screen looks really low in the dash, I have a similar sized screen in my 18 plate Seat that I think is too small and too low but it is at the top of the dash, how are you all getting on with it? Due to a lack of space at home I keep the pushchair in my boot and I'd like to keep my golf clubs in there too but the boot looks small with the seats up, is it?
My previous car was a 59 reg A3, I have bought a brand new MG5 and not even considered a brand new A3.
My daily comute is 50 miles, if it was a company car I'd still have the MG5.
With a 10miles commute company car I would had been happy with as brand new A3.

Yes stop thinking to much about it and drive it enjoy it and you will be pleasantly surprised and have fun leaving ice cars at lights etc lol

Oh, and have at least a skim through the manual.

NEVER!!! Until I get a problem I can't solve by stabbing buttons!

Just get it, get in it, drive it like you stole it and enjoy it.

Then start being sensible (ish)

That's the plan!

It does sound a bit like you are unhappy with the car before you even have even seen/driven it and I doubt that is ever going to make for a good ownership experience because you will just be looking for problems when it arrives!

The MG5 isn't perfect by any means, the infotainment system is frustratingly slow and unreliable, I personally find the seats uncomfortable on a long journey (I'm a rather skinny 65kg so maybe I don't have enough 'personal padding' ), the handling doesn't inspire confidence (although the car does hold the road well if you have blind faith), and some of the fit and finish is not quite what I would call 'high quality'. That said, it's a very good value EV that offers a good usable range in a car that has plenty of space. As an overall package I think it's hard to beat but it probably makes a lot less sense if you aren't paying for it!

I would suggest you see if there is a way to get out of the deal because, like I said, I doubt you will have a good ownership experience given the things you have raised.
I saw one in the flesh last night actually, I also recognised it early enough I could have a proper gander and it really isn't that bad, not going to win style awards but the photographers should really learn to take shots at different angles for high cars!

Now I've got some info on the car from drivers I am feeling a lot more happy and the Seat Leon infotainment system is fairly useless itself so I've got used to using Android Auto instead. The only thing I am a little worried about are the seats, as you've mentioned I've seen several people say they are uncomfortable and I already have a bad back from an accident on site 20 years ago, however I'm a fat git now so I might be OK with my persnal padding!

My previous car was a 59 reg A3, I have bought a brand new MG5 and not even considered a brand new A3.
My daily comute is 50 miles, if it was a company car I'd still have the MG5.
With a 10miles commute company car I would had been happy with as brand new A3.
I only went to the company car as it was electric so favourable BIK at the moment. I know it will go up but it also removes the stress of sorting the maintenance on two cars (my wife never does it!)

Sounds like you are unhappy too...

@Tweed98 please note most others contributions to this thread are very positive about this car, and rightly so.

Not at all, like I said...

'As an overall package I think it's hard to beat'

But denying this car has shortcomings is not helpful to anyone.

Having test driven 10+ models, owned 3 and sat in most of the rest all have short comings.

Many of those expensive ones have harsh rides, smaller boots, less space and cost twice as much.

I only rated the Ford Mach E as better, but I do like the IONIQ & EV6 but haven't tested those 2 yet!

Sounds like you are unhappy too...

@Tweed98 please note most others contributions to this thread are very positive about this car, and rightly so.
⬇️
Now I've got some info on the car from drivers I am feeling a lot more happy and the Seat Leon infotainment system is fairly useless itself so I've got used to using Android Auto instead. The only thing I am a little worried about are the seats, as you've mentioned I've seen several people say they are uncomfortable and I already have a bad back from an accident on site 20 years ago, however I'm a fat git now so I might be OK with my persnal padding!
It's also not the first time I've said it and thanked people for the help, all comments are welcomed!

For clarity I am happy with the MG5. Thank you all for the help.

Having test driven 10+ models, owned 3 and sat in most of the rest all have short comings.

Many of those expensive ones have harsh rides, smaller boots, less space and cost twice as much.

I only rated the Ford Mach E as better, but I do like the IONIQ & EV6 but haven't tested those 2 yet!

I think you mean sporty and cozy! I think a lot of the lack of space in modern cars is coming from safety features for us and any pedestrians who may get hit. I remember my Citroen AX had paper thin doors and panels and the doors on my last few cars have been really chunky.

Not at all, like I said...

'As an overall package I think it's hard to beat'

But denying this car has shortcomings is not helpful to anyone.

Objective criticism is good, much more helpful and believable than saying it is perfect, every product has issues or comprimises. Some people on the internet particularly get very protective of their purchases i.e. Apple vs Android.

The car I enjoyed most was my old Focus ST, the recaro seat was really comfortable, the ride was way more comfortable than my previous A3 (base model not at all sporty) and the the drive was brilliant but it had problems, the torque steer was occasionally frightening, the arm rest got in the way of the handbrake, the voice control was iffy, the radio screen looked like a phone screen from 10 years prior and the materials on the dash were less than premium.

it had problems, the torque steer was occasionally frightening, the arm rest got in the way of the handbrake, the voice control was iffy, the radio screen looked like a phone screen from 10 years prior and the materials on the dash were less than premium.
Let's hope that it's not Groundhog Day for you! 😉

There's nothing else at your price point that comes close. I had a chance of a go in a Taycan Cross Turismo which was better in every way except consumption, but afterwards in the MG5 I couldn't help but think "not three times better".

You've probably seen, but Autoexpress put the MG5 in a head to head review against the id3 earlier this year, which reassured me somewhat

I have driven the ID3 and own a MG5

I found the interior of the ID to be cheap & plastic, the MG5 is better
The infotainment on the ID is as bad as the MG5
I expected the ID to be quick as it had more horses but they must have been asleep because I find my MG to be quicker. (MG is 2.5 seconds quicker to 60)

So the ID charges faster? Really? I know it does '100' and the MG just '80' but we all now know the MG really does 94 & I had 90+ all the time. So I arrive at this French Ionity charger lined up with VWs, Skodas etc & plug in, straight up to 90. So a bit bored I check out the other chargers to see how things are going, why was the ID at 44 when I was at 90? hmm same %age etc. So I'm charged & off, yet they are still there! What's happening here?

Maybe I'm a quick driver, maybe MG chipped my MG but it's quicker than the spec all the time, less power used etc

I get the comment about harsh bumpy ride = sporty, bad back, kids travel sickness and pothole damage, but my smooth riding low CofG MG does fine leaving sports cars at the lights, Aston drivers hate that even more than Porsche drivers!

Truly a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom