BMS update-Computer says “No”

had my car in to dealers yesterday ( monday) they saidthat they had fixed the problem but when I asked them whether theyhad the new update I got some fob off...Car still only doing 90 miles max...So my advice is wait at least a week before you take your car in . I will put mine back in at end of January...Thank god for the lock down otherwise I will need another car

had my car in to dealers yesterday ( monday) they saidthat they had fixed the problem but when I asked them whether theyhad the new update I got some fob off...Car still only doing 90 miles max...So my advice is wait at least a week before you take your car in . I will put mine back in at end of January...Thank god for the lock down otherwise I will need another car
Just out of interest, which MG dealer are you using?

good question.... My view is that servicing is resposibility of the owner and is 'recommended'..I am not sure that servicing is compulsory
Personally..I wished that I had waited a while before the dealers got their hands on the car...I was happy with it up until that point

Correction of full charge mileage (with equalisation) with HVAC off, in economy mode is 165 miles, in normal mode 150 miles. Do you think, it would be considered normal mileage for this time of the year? Voltage is still a concern, as I did not get more than 450V with full charge and equalisation.

Last edited:
Correction of full charge mileage (with equalisation) with HVAC off, in economy mode is 165 miles, in normal mode 150 miles. Do think, it would be considered normal mileage for this time of the year? Voltage is still a concern, as I did not get more than 450V with full charge and equalisation.
That’s perfectly normal. I wouldn’t worry about the 1% difference in voltage.

Correction of full charge mileage (with equalisation) with HVAC off, in economy mode is 165 miles, in normal mode 150 miles. Do you think, it would be considered normal mileage for this time of the year? Voltage is still a concern, as I did not get more than 450V with full charge and equalisation.
I’ll give you a comparison tomorrow morning as I’m fully charging to drive to Bury St Edmonds in the morning; will attach photos

Hi Mark, I know you are out and about, please share your pictures ( when you can) of total mileage with HAVC on and off and also battery voltage this morning after full charge & equalisation.

Hi Mark, I know you are out and about, please share your pictures ( when you can) of total mileage with HAVC on and off and also battery voltage this morning after full charge & equalisation.
All I could get was these two pictures, full charge was 454 volts and estimated range was 201 miles in ECO with no heating on. The next picture was my first stop but it was cold again today and therefore affected range, but motorway speed was 60 mph or just over and the heating was on all the time three heat blobs and fans on three too.
By the way don’t read anything into the 201 as when the heating goes on it drops to 169...!!
Regards

Attachments

• 391B1779-962D-4A71-B403-7B669C8482B4.jpeg
    391B1779-962D-4A71-B403-7B669C8482B4.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 48094AA8-2977-4D0B-819C-E9F232FB0660.jpeg
    48094AA8-2977-4D0B-819C-E9F232FB0660.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 131
Had my car serviced today and I asked about when the BMS update will be available and was told that it won’t be available for a few weeks yet.

So, fully charged my car from 21% last night and equalised the battery, using a granny charger
I put it on to charge at 8pm and it finished the equalisation at 2:30 pm - 18.5 hours!

And my car is showing as having 445v.

Roll on the new BMS update!

So just finished 💯 charge, showing 455V and 151 range so I think mine is OK, now it might be an idea to ring Chorley and ask what services mine had carried out in early September. It has comfort2 and can charge with the doors unlocked (and I believe HB fuse done as well) it may help with troubleshooting for them to know for other users?

View attachment 1016
Just charged mine and full equalisation showing no hvac eco 168 - normal 154 volts 456

Just charged mine and full equalisation showing no hvac eco 168 - normal 154 volts 456
Isn't there supposed be a direct correlation between the battery volts and mileage? I have fully charged yesterday, got 448 V, 170 E, with HVAC off and 155 miles Normal. I am not getting 455 V or 456 with full charge.

Attachments

• IMG_20210116_194034.jpg
    IMG_20210116_194034.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20210116_194057.jpg
    IMG_20210116_194057.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 96
This was posted on Facebook in the last day or do:

The Israeli Dealer Customer Service Official Message, received via WhatsApp earlier today, Regarding Battery Range:

Good afternoon, following inquiries regarding battery range, it is important for us to update you with the following information:

“As a result of an inaccurate algorithm in the software installed in the vehicles on specific dates, an imbalance was created between the battery cells.

In practice - the battery management computer detects and stops charging when the first cell reaches maximum charge and sets this mode to about 100% charge

As a result, over time and depending on the nature of use and charging, a greater imbalance is created between the cells that the battery management computer did not correctly detect and did not reduce, which actually resulted in a reduction in the amount of energy the battery contains after a full charge and a reduction in the possible range of travel.

The update received from the manufacturer, and tested by us, updates the software of the battery management computer (BMS) and performs a slow procedure of balancing cells while using the vehicle and at the end of charging until reaching an optimal state.

The length of time it will take to reach the ideal balance varies and depends on the condition of the cell balance before the update, the nature and duration of use of the vehicle and charging each day. It is therefore necessary to coordinate an orderly appointment and examine the alternatives to the solution until the end of the treatment.”

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom