"Boing" noise from left rear suspension when turning into a driveway

AlC

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I have a Phase 2 Excite 51 (SR) RHD (Australia) and I've noticed that on rare occasions, when I'm turning left over a bump (for example, left turning into a shopping centre car park), there's quite a loud "boing" noise from the back left of the car.

It's a pretty comical sounding noise. If you've heard it, you'll know what I mean.

It's very infrequent, I've heard it twice in the ~4 months I've owned the car. But it's certainly noticeable. Happened today and the kids who were sitting the back asked what was wrong with the car.

I know it's not specific to my car, as someone posted a video of it it my local MG4 facebook group and there was a chorus of "me too's" in the responses, so I'm not really too concerned about it. My car is no more broken than the rest. Each time it has happened, I've walked around the car and counted the number of wheels and it always comes to four, which I believe is the correct number.

But I am curious, I'd love to know what it's coming from.

I'm wondering if anyone else who might have had this has managed to narrow down the source of the sound, and if there is a fix other than turning up the volume on the radio before approaching a driveway?

I've seen a similar post on here before ... try a good search on here using "bong" "turning" or something similar 😁👍

Ha yeah I thought I had too, I tried a few searches with variations of "bong" "boing" and "turning" before posting but couldn't find anything relevant. I did learn that people refer to the MG4 default alert sound as the "bong" though!

I took my car to the dealership to get this checked out, luckily they got it to happen too but couldn't work out where it's coming from.

They want the car for longer to investigate further so will update this after but I don't have high hopes. Have seen others post their dealers gave up.

My car it happens both going left or right up an inclined driveway.

Sounds like a suspension spring twisting and then releasing. Actually, it's already been reported in earlier thread, it's the rear tailgate catch. Looks like lubrication or insulation tape on the loop the catch secures to fixes the problem. Probably a little body flex causing it

Last edited:
Yeah it sounds similar, you can hear it here

It's the same sound as my Mazda. I don't know if it's the same issue, but I believe my coil spring was broken, so there was a loose metal part at the upper mounting, so they didn't notice it until I told them to replace the upper mounting (the mounting was fine). But in my opinion they should just remove the damper all the way to the upper mounting and inspect it.

Update on this, wasted 2 days at the dealer mechanic who couldn't figure out anything and said there was nothing wrong with the car.

I have emailed MG Australia and their response was that they are aware of the issue and are looking into it, No ETA for a fix yet.

Update on this, wasted 2 days at the dealer mechanic who couldn't figure out anything and said there was nothing wrong with the car.

I have emailed MG Australia and their response was that they are aware of the issue and are looking into it, No ETA for a fix yet.
Unless they removed strut all the way to the top mount, they won't know. On my Mazda everything was "fine" until they finally removed the strut, revealing that a piece of the top part was broken in half.

Sounds like a suspension spring twisting and then releasing. Actually, it's already been reported in earlier thread, it's the rear tailgate catch. Looks like lubrication or insulation tape on the loop the catch secures to fixes the problem. Probably a little body flex causing it
This is certainly the issue we have had before and the fix for it - but this could be something else.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back