Bonnet App - More Free Leccy Codes

Well, I did another free charge this morning at the same charger. A little less messing around to get a charge started, but still not hassle free - I still had the "connected but not charging" message for a while but after messing around with the charge point it started on its own, or so it seemed ;-)

Well, I did another free charge this morning at the same charger. A little less messing around to get a charge started, but still not hassle free - I still had the "connected but not charging" message for a while but after messing around with the charge point it started on its own, or so it seemed ;-)
Look at the app after you start the charge, it will show the stages of the handshake in progress (connecting/communicating etc). It took quite a while on my charge to start but just leaving it to do it's thing worked nicely.

Did a 350 mile round trip over the weekend. 1 x Shell Recharge and 2 x Geniepoint. No problems (even with the Geniepoint which I have had difficulties with previously!). Nice saving and an app well worth having.

Thank you Bonnet!

Thanks @Gomev - it may well be me just being impatient but I am keeping an eye on the app and waiting for the "plug in" prompt!

Thanks @Gomev - it may well be me just being impatient but I am keeping an eye on the app and waiting for the "plug in" prompt!
I think, but I'm not 100% sure that I just plugged in and then used the app to start the charge on the right connector, same as any other rapid/app !
I know it was really straightforward and cannot remember waiting for a plug in prompt.

Anyone who is using the Bonnet App, here are three (working as of today) codes for 100% discount, thus three free electron refills if paid for via the app. Just popped up on a French EV group, have tried them on our app and all have been accepted.

ND3FB
FREECHARGE1
FIRSTCHARGE
SPEAKEVBNT (this one only works if you have not already used a free refill discount such as FULLYCHARGED)

Bon chance!
Just seen all this & signed up.
The ND3FB & SPEAKEVBNT didn't work for me "code expired" but thanks for the other two ! 👍

I've been using the Bonnet app for a little over a month,
I originally signed up for the £15 a month "Subscription" as I had found the "Firstcharge" offer and figured that for a month it would probably work out ok.
I only picked up my MG5LR 5 weeks ago so am still new to all this :)

The Bonnet Subscription model appears to be misleading if you don't read it properly.
It's not a subscription, its a pre-payment.
If you pre-pay £15 a month you can get electricity for 30ppkwh, if you pre-pay £35 you get the first 120Kwh for 29.1666ppkwh then additional Kwh are 29ppkwh. if you pre-pay £50 a month you pay 25ppkwh.

If you don't use everything you have pre-paid for then it carries over (indefinitely I think)

If you use more than your pre-payment then you are billed for each session at either 30ppkwh, 29ppkwh or 25ppkwh

Personally I have a couple of rapid CCS chargers locally which are included in the Bonnet app which makes it great value for me, I pay 28ppkwh at home (with Bulb) This month I have increased my Bonnet Pre-payment to £50 which means I only pay 25ppkwh at my local rapid chargers so it's cheaper than charging at home or at my local Lidl (which is further away from me and 26ppkwh)

I've also noticed that my weekend journeys (Manchester to Anglesey and back 230 Miles plus pottering around) go past enough Shell Recharge points to mean that with a little planning I never pay more than 25ppkwh which is around half the pay as you go rate (Shell recharge is around 39ppkwh or more which means the charge points are usually available as people avoid them)

I have not set up the app on another phone yet, but probably will to take advantage of their offers :)

They also have a referral scheme where if you use a referral code you both get £15 free charge, I have read that this can only be used 3 times but have not referred anyone yet so don't know for sure, I have also read that the referral code needs to be used within 48 hours of becoming a member but again don't have any experience of this.

My code is R9DBK

Feel free to give it a try, we might both get £15 off our next top up?

I have had a few issues at CCS chargers, all seem to be related to the App telling you to wait until you see the "Confirm connection" button (in the app to confirm you are plugged in) I just ignore that and continue and it seems to work most of the time (if it fails then disconnect and reconnect and try again, or double check if your car is charging or not, I have had 1 occasion where the app told me the connection had failed but the car continued to charge for another 37Kwh until I disconnected it so I got a decent charge for free)

The "fast" 7Kwh chargers seem to not have this issue and the "Confirm connection" button appears on the app and works fine (but the chargers near me have never given more than 3Kwh but that might have been related to the state of charge of the car not the charger)

Check the App before you commit, if there is a rapid charger on the network near you it might well be a good move to sign up, if you are a distance from a charger then it's possibly not worth it. But for me it's a brilliant solution.

Regards,
Axe

RK4M8E for £15 off next refill payment.
Mind you I've not done any payments yet.
The local lidl rapid is 26p by me so currently cheaper than my home tariff, tripped over to price cap as it expired march:confused:

The Bonnet Subscription model appears to be misleading if you don't read it properly.
It's not a subscription, its a pre-payment.

If you pre-pay £15 a month you can get electricity for 30ppkwh, if you pre-pay £35 you get the first 120Kwh for 29.1666ppkwh then additional Kwh are 29ppkwh. if you pre-pay £50 a month you pay 25ppkwh.

If you don't use everything you have pre-paid for then it carries over (indefinitely I think)

If you use more than your pre-payment then you are billed for each session at either 30ppkwh, 29ppkwh or 25ppkwh

Regards,
Axe
Isn't that what a subscription service is, paying upfront ?

Anyway you forgot to add in that for the £15/month you get 50kWh included.
Also didn't mention that you don't need a subscription (Refill) at all, you can just use the app and on PAYG it is 35p/kWh.

So, what happens if you sign up for the cheapest 'subscription' but then cancel after a month? Does the prepaid amount still carry forward?

Isn't that what a subscription service is, paying upfront ?

Anyway you forgot to add in that for the £15/month you get 50kWh included.
Also didn't mention that you don't need a subscription (Refill) at all, you can just use the app and on PAYG it is 35p/kWh.
Yeah, I just read it back and noticed that I missed that, I also didn't mention that for £50 you get 200Kwh included *but I had had a drink when I wrote it :)

To me a subscription is something you pay for, so when I read their terms and conditions it appears that you pay £15 a month to get a reduced rate of 30ppKwh, £35 to get 29ppKwh or £50 to get the 25ppKwh rate, Whilst they do state that you get 50,120 or 200kwh included in the subscription it seems to be confusing a lot of people (I have read a lot about Bonnet in various forums and there seems to be a lot of hostility from people who clearly don't grasp this.)

I really like Bonnet, as I said in my original post it suits my needs perfectly so the £50pm is almost exactly what I need (If anything I would like a £100 a month for 15-20ppKwh.
But I do understand that it won't suit everyone, With the recent hike in the price of domestic electricity it's working out much cheaper for me to charge with Bonnet with the odd top up at home than it would to charge at home all the time.

Axe

So, what happens if you sign up for the cheapest 'subscription' but then cancel after a month? Does the prepaid amount still carry forward?
TBH I haven't tried, but from their advertising it seems that if you cancel then any unused Kwh will be at the reduced rate, then after your prepayment has been used if you cancel you will then be charged at 35ppKwh (still cheaper than the pay as you go rate)

Axe

Anyone who is using the Bonnet App, here are three (working as of today) codes for 100% discount, thus three free electron refills if paid for via the app. Just popped up on a French EV group, have tried them on our app and all have been accepted.

ND3FB
FREECHARGE1
FIRSTCHARGE
SPEAKEVBNT (this one only works if you have not already used a free refill discount such as FULLYCHARGED)

Bon chance!

Just seen all this & signed up.
The ND3FB & SPEAKEVBNT didn't work for me "code expired" but thanks for the other two ! 👍

I spent 10 minutes messing with these codes and got the same results ND3FB & SPEAKEVBNT no longer work, i tried a variety of numbers and the only extra one i got to work was FREECHARGE2

So as of yesterday three working codes are

FIRSTCHARGE
FREECHARGE1
FREECHARGE2

I spent 10 minutes messing with these codes and got the same results ND3FB & SPEAKEVBNT no longer work, i tried a variety of numbers and the only extra one i got to work was FREECHARGE2

So as of yesterday three working codes are

FIRSTCHARGE
FREECHARGE1
FREECHARGE2
Many thanks 👍

At my last rapid, I used an Osprey charger which was a bit of a slicker process than the Geniepoint one used previously. Oh, and picked up another free code here too, so thanks for those who posted them!

Used a free bonnet code today with an Osprey unit, got a nice 38kwh. Glad I wasn't paying 49p/unit! (£18)

I noticed the door button press wouldn't show me the charge state (it was at 86% and had shut off) and had to power it on to find out. I then had trouble getting the car to end the charge. Managed to end it with the bonnet app, just had to wait a minute for it let go and quickly got the cable out of there before it changed its mind. For my first ccs charge it was fairly easy.

Used a free bonnet code today with an Osprey unit, got a nice 38kwh. Glad I wasn't paying 49p/unit! (£18)

I noticed the door button press wouldn't show me the charge state (it was at 86% and had shut off) and had to power it on to find out. I then had trouble getting the car to end the charge. Managed to end it with the bonnet app, just had to wait a minute for it let go and quickly got the cable out of there before it changed its mind. For my first ccs charge it was fairly easy.
If you start the charge with the app, then end it with the app. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom