Bricked at the charger - should there be a nationwide recall?

I have repeatedly quoted (properly) what Miles has posted about the AS 22 .... edict that some here seem to be rather hoping is the solution to the dodgy rapid charging issues with mk2s.

What was "the update" you believe you've had?
It was the AS-22-025 which I queried with my dealer, Richard Hardie Ashington, prior to collecting on June 1st. They said yes they were doing it as they had received the bulletin and were also over the moon with the other bulletin (forgot the number) that said they could bill MG direct if a customer rang them to get update done that had already collected their vehicle prior to bulletin.

Wow ...... Okay !.
Maybe owners who have been stranded at a rapid and waited hours to be recovered to a dealer, then have a update applied to fix the problem, may JUST have a different view point then ?.

What update though?

Fault codes cleared by MG scan tools?

we & you & the rest do not know 🤷‍♂️
One owner was even brave enough to return to the very charger that made his car DOA ( Note:- not using the word "Bricked" to keep you happy )
I don't have a problem with your verbage or quantity thereof.
a few days latter and car charged just fine.
Surely, then something was applied to the car that prevented this happening again.
Just the one?
Iirc there are more who it has happened to again after they've been to the dealer for the "magic update".
This is factual not "Blathering"as you call it.

It is circumstantial at best. (No confusing question mark there 😉)
Let's just see in due course what happens then yeah 🤷‍♂️.
Indeed.

Something has been done to fix the problem as cars react differently after the up date on 7kw chargers and now don't brick after update on rapids
So I consider the the update a fix for rapid charging but MG may just call it version x.xxx.xx but whatever they call it to owners it the rapid charging fix?

It was the AS-22-025 which I queried with my dealer, Richard Hardie Ashington, prior to collecting on June 1st. They said yes they were doing it as they had received the bulletin and were also over the moon with the other bulletin (forgot the number) that said they could bill MG direct if a customer rang them to get update done that had already collected their vehicle prior to bulletin.
If MG was willing to pick up the bill for the work, then this would indicate to me that they accepted they had a problem ( fact ).
They can call it what ever they like, it does not bother me at all.
On the the ZS EV Gen1 they refused to apply the "Comfort 2" update for free, as they deemed this as an "improvement" and NOT mandatory update ( fact ).
This goes someway to believing that paying dealers for applying the update, is a necessary requirement.
End of conversation !.

After the kind advice from @MichaelJHunt, I rang Jason Morgan this morning and he has agreed to assist me. I e-mailed him the history of the 'alleged' issue with my ZS EV and the plan is to drive up there and get a second opinion.

As soon as I have anything concrete to report back I will do so.

Apologies for the delayed follow up. After a discussion with Jason Morgan he connected me with Gary Smart. Gary is one of the team at MG UK Customer Service (customer.service ‘at’ mg.co.uk) and he agreed to assist/fund the diagnosis. I agreed to attempt to recreate the fault and then ask the MG recovery folks (AA) to recover the vehicle to the dealership. This way the technicians can see the fault and positively fault-find as opposed to applying software updates in an attempt to cure the problem I experienced.

Anyway, to cut a long story short(er) I have charged many times on CCS chargers mainly Instavolt and Gridserve and have not managed to reproduce the fault. I will continue to try and do so but for the moment, I have not had any updates applied and have charged using public chargers successfully a number of times.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom