Bricked at the charger - should there be a nationwide recall?

It was rapid charge 2 that done for us. We picked up our LR Trophy in March and used an instavolt rapid on the way home without issue. A few days later we went to a local shell garage which had a rapid and the fault occurred.

Dealer never really explained why it had happened or what they had done but it has not happened since thankfully.
Have you used a shell garage charger since?

This is the official MG "after sale's" update, that should be applied, to resolve the bricking problem's that the ZS EV ( Gen 2 model ) has encountered.

MG service bulletin :-

AS-22-025
Iirc that states essentially "keep checking for & applying updates when the cars are in for service"?

This has been covered many times I think...

SA = Service Action
AS = After Sales

This bulletin specifies that it covers all SR, LR, and any future EV models.
Here is Mile’s responce to the question I posted a few months ago, regarding the classification of the “Bricking” software update, released by MG.
It is usual for MG to release updates in a “SA” format, which refers to a “Service Action”.
In this case ( for reasons I don’t know why sorry ) they release the software check on a “AS” level - Which means “After Sales” for some strange reason ?.
Is this why there is some confusion over some dealers finding it difficult to locate ?????.
@Miles Roberts CG can you enlighten us any further please 🙏.
I know the Chorley lads are WELL aware of this update and are applying to cars at the point of PDI now or by customer request, or as part of the service schedule.

Last edited:
There is now a bulletin to dealers, asking them to check the software on these specific ECUs prior to handover, and update if necessary:
• VCU
• EV
• CCU
• BMS
• TC

If you are worried about any potential charging issues, please ask your dealer to check/update these (particularly if you took delivery of your facelift ZS EV before May 22).

AS-22-025

From the proverbial horse's mouth.

I hope to take delivery of a LRTC next month. I’m going to make sure that all updates are carried out before accepting the car. Having had my Gen1 ZS EV bricked I cannot face going through it again. Whoever is in charge at MG UK for making sure dealers are aware and carry out the updates must be asleep at the wheel (probably bricked waiting for MG Assistance).
I cannot understand why there is not an ‘about’ feature in the infotainment menu to see what software the car is running. The dealers and MG keep it all vague. It’s not vague when you are bricked at a charger, waiting for the AA and the ensuing dealer/hire car situation.
Dont get me wrong I love my ZS EV and overall look forward to driving the new long range version.

Here is Mile’s responce to the question I posted a few months ago, regarding the classification of the “Bricking” software update, released by MG.
It is usual for MG to release updates in a “SA” format, which refers to a “Service Action”.
In this case ( for reasons I don’t know why sorry ) they release the software check on a “AS” level - Which means “After Sales” for some strange reason ?.
Is this why there is some confusion over some dealers finding it difficult to locate ?????.
@Miles Roberts CG can you enlighten us any further please 🙏.
I know the Chorley lads are WELL aware of this update and are applying to cars at the point of PDI now or by customer request, or as part of the service schedule.
AS bulletin was to inform all dealer aftersales staff that the requirement to update cars at every service and at PDI had been brought in.

SA would be for a specific service action for a particular car model.

In theory, by bringing out AS-22-025, they should prevent the need for any SA for these ECU in future, as they will automatically (as part of the procedure) be updated anyway.

AS bulletin was to inform all dealer aftersales staff that the requirement to update cars at every service and at PDI had been brought in.

SA would be for a specific service action for a particular car model.

In theory, by bringing out AS-22-025, they should prevent the need for any SA for these ECU in future, as they will automatically (as part of the procedure) be updated anyway.
Thanks @Miles Roberts CG !.
Very informative, as always 👍.
As this thread implies, when some dealers are approached, they are left shaking their heads with regards to this “Anti Bricking” update for the face lift models ?.
Some claiming they have no knowledge even of its existence ?.
Even when the AS-22-025 reference number is quoted ?.
One dealer stating that it was purely aimed as a training bulletin - What the hell Miles !.
My Trophy from Burnley was collected prior to the release date of the update, so will get updated at its service time.
Going back to Burley ( 200 miles around trip ) because I know it will be done correctly.
Hey…… I bet your home storage battery is full this week Miles !.
Free juice to run your cars, nice move 👍.

There isn't one? 🤷‍♂️
Read what the man says!
Sorry - I can read it just fine thanks, but my understanding does not appear to match yours ?.
Some facelift customers have already had their software updates applied, some even prior to delivery, at the point of the PDI checks.
Also, remedial action has been taken and applied to cars that have already suffered from the "Bricking" problem while trying to use certain rapid chargers.
There will be some early supplied cars ( in my case a ZS EV face lift ) that will require updating when presented for it's first service.
If this was a specified update for the ZS EV face lift, it would have been given a SA “Service Action” category.
As it includes ALL models, then it has been issued with AS “After Sales” category.
This is my understanding and is based on ZS EV facelift owners who have already received the update ?.
Any owners who have been recovered to a dealer or offered up their cars to be checked and updated, ( that @AK OK believes "Quote - There isn't one" ) please can please share if YOUR understanding aligns with mine please ?.
The following modules will require diag checking and then updating IF found necessary.

• VCU
• EV
• CCU
• BMS
• TC

Why would dealers be taking time to check and update these modules on ALL models, if they never thought it was totally necessary ?.

Let’s be careful here, my interpretation of what @Miles Roberts CG is saying is that the AS-22-025 just says that vehicles should be updated during servicing and pre-delivery inspection it is not a reference to any specific update that corrects the vehicle software so that is does not enter an irrecoverable mode of operation when subject to a fast charge.

@Miles Roberts CG is there a specific update that directly relates to a known shortcoming in the vehicle software of the MG EV facelift model related to fast charging?

I think I have been asking the wrong question, what I need to request is that any and all vehicle software updates are applied to my vehicle.

I do believe there is an update but as yet, at least I do not know the specific reference number.

Last edited:
Well, I finally heard back from the dealership from whom I bought my ZS SR EV and they categorically state that they have asked MG UK and there is no issue with charging and no update available.

I think now is time to go to Cinderford and ask them and see where we go from there…
It will depend on a few factors, when did your car arrive in the U.K.
How quickly was delivered after arriving ?.
What version software is it running, did it get checked / updated at the time of the PDI checks.
Your car maybe running on the updated software already and therefore does show as requiring any further updates.
MG may well have a VIN number check list of affected cars ??.
Any recent cars delivered are not likely to want upgrading.
I think Miles suggested this in one of the Monday night pod casts, that cars delivered end of March 2022 onwards should be okay, but advised that to be 100% certain, they would require checks via a diag at the main dealers.

Let’s be careful here, my interpretation of what @Miles Roberts CG is saying is that the AS-22-025 just says that vehicles should be updated during servicing and pre-delivery inspection it is not a reference to any specific update that corrects the vehicle software so that is does not enter an irrecoverable mode of operation when subject to a fast charge.

@Miles Roberts CG is there a specific update that directly relates to a known shortcoming in the vehicle software of the MG EV facelift model related to fast charging?

I think I have been asking the wrong question, what I need to request is that any and all vehicle software updates are applied to my vehicle.
Yes you do because as Miles stated this will rectify the issue, but if your dealer argues saying no, you must insist and say there was also a bulletin sent out that said all dealers could bill MG direct for the cost of doing updates. Unfortunately I can't remember that bulletin number hopefully one of our more knowledgeable members can locate or remember or even ask @Miles Roberts CG to confirm.

In my submission, we do not know the specific reference number for the software update. What I can say is that it appears that AS-22-025 has not been followed, as a result, an as-yet unknown software updates has not been applied.

I can insist that they follow AS-22-025 and as a consequence, the update should, in theory, be applied.

It may sound a bit semantic but the truth is emerging…😊

Sorry - I can read it just fine thanks, but my understanding does not appear to match yours ?.
Some facelift customers have already had their software updates applied, some even prior to delivery, at the point of the PDI checks.
Also, remedial action has been taken and applied to cars that have already suffered from the "Bricking" problem while trying to use certain rapid chargers.
There will be some early supplied cars ( in my case a ZS EV face lift ) that will require updating when presented for it's first service.
If this was a specified update for the ZS EV face lift, it would have been given a SA “Service Action” category.
As it includes ALL models, then it has been issued with AS “After Sales” category.
This is my understanding and is based on ZS EV facelift owners who have already received the update ?.
Any owners who have been recovered to a dealer or offered up their cars to be checked and updated, ( that @AK OK believes "Quote - There isn't one" )
If you're going to claim to quote me then bl**dy well do it accurately?🙄

There isn't one? 🤷‍♂️
Read what the man says!
I did - word for word look :eek:.
After criticising my post, it is you that has the problem reading 🤷‍♂️.
If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all please.
We all hope to help and share knowledge with everybody with our comments and suggestions on this forum (y).

I did - word for word look :eek:.
After criticising my post, it is you that has the problem reading 🤷‍♂️.
If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all please.
We all hope to help and share knowledge with everybody with our comments and suggestions on this forum (y).
Oh dear.
Your "quote" missed the interrogative?, which in English, rather changes the meaning?, which I guess was too tempting for you to include?

Speaking of sharing knowledge - if you don't have anything factual to say please stop blathering on about an "anti bricking update" that, so far, is, I believe, until specifically officially told otherwise, a "grabbing at straws" myth.

Quote me on that just for practice ? You seem to need it 👍

Speaking of sharing knowledge - if you don't have anything factual to say please stop blathering on about an "anti bricking update" that, so far, is, I believe, until specifically officially told otherwise, a "grabbing at straws" myth.
I have no issues quoting you, I think you need to get off your high horse and believe what someone like Miles and Lovemyev have quoted and contributed. The update was done to my car and I have never had an issue on any chargers rapid or fast, so unless you get the update done and then have problems I believe it is time to stay silent on said issue.

Wow ...... Okay !.
Maybe owners who have been stranded at a rapid and waited hours to be recovered to a dealer, then have a update applied to fix the problem, may JUST have a different view point then ?.
One owner was even brave enough to return to the very charger that made his car DOA ( Note:- not using the word "Bricked" to keep you happy ) a few days latter and car charged just fine.
Surely, then something was applied to the car that prevented this happening again.
This is factual not "Blathering"as you call it.
Let's just see in due course what happens then yeah 🤷‍♂️.

I have no issues quoting you, I think you need to get off your high horse and believe what someone like Miles and Lovemyev have quoted and contributed. The update was done to my car and I have never had an issue on any chargers rapid or fast, so unless you get the update done and then have problems I believe it is time to stay silent on said issue.
I have repeatedly quoted (properly) what Miles has posted about the AS 22 .... edict that some here seem to be rather hoping is the solution to the dodgy rapid charging issues with mk2s.

What was "the update" you believe you've had?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom