Bricked at the charger - should there be a nationwide recall?

I think with the update it will unlock when you unlock the car and pause charging for a sort time before it locks its self and continues to charge as it should always lock when you start charging

My LR Trophy has had the 'bricking' update, but it now appears to sometimes do a reboot after overnight charging i.e. the same errors and warning lights and reboot of the entertainment screen as if you have taken your foot off the break too early during the start sequence. My EV charger stops at 2.30am and then I unplug it in the morning after unlocking the car. I believe the car is now still looking for a charge when I unplug it? Anyone else had similar issues?
Are you scheduling the charge through the car or the charger?
If through the charger the car might not like it suddenly cutting off and treats it as an error?

Does your charger initiate a handshake for shutting down the charge and allow the car to go through process to stop charging, or does it just switch off the power?
I don't think any charger switches off the power to stop a charge as this could cause a damaging spike. They reduce the voltage on the pilot connector to notify the onboard inverter to shut down.

I was worried too so for my first ever rapid - yesterday - I chose to detour to the Electric Forecourt in Braintree. It all went well. An attendant came over and showed me what to do. I became over confident. It was attempt number 2 at eurotunnel that got me.
It was rapid charge 2 that done for us. We picked up our LR Trophy in March and used an instavolt rapid on the way home without issue. A few days later we went to a local shell garage which had a rapid and the fault occurred.

Dealer never really explained why it had happened or what they had done but it has not happened since thankfully.

Well, I finally heard back from the dealership from whom I bought my ZS SR EV and they categorically state that they have asked MG UK and there is no issue with charging and no update available.

I think now is time to go to Cinderford and ask them and see where we go from there…

I did 2.500 miles with my 2 months old MG ZS EV.
Used various rapid charges in different places from different suppliers, charging 22 to 50 KW, used 7kw charges in different cities and also used granny charger as well. I did not have any problem with the car. All was good and smooth.

Used various rapid charges in different places from different suppliers, charging 22 to 50 KW, used 7kw charges in different cities and also used granny charger as well. I did not have any problem with the car. All was good and smooth.

Quite probably the majority of owners never see a problem.

Could we start a forum poll?

1. My ZS EV MK1 has bricked at a Rapid
2. My ZS EV MK2 has bricked at a Rapid
3. No problems with my MK1
4. No problems with my MK2

I’m not sure how to do this.

Clearly there will be many more owners that are not on the forum.

Is it possible that your vehicle is sufficiently ‘young’ to have been delivered with the ‘unicorn update’ already errr updated?

Mine is an ex-demo vehicle circa March 2022.

Well, I finally heard back from the dealership from whom I bought my ZS SR EV and they categorically state that they have asked MG UK and there is no issue with charging and no update available.

I think now is time to go to Cinderford and ask them and see where we go from there…
This is the official MG "after sale's" update, that should be applied, to resolve the bricking problem's that the ZS EV ( Gen 2 model ) has encountered.

MG service bulletin :-

AS-22-025

Hi @Lovemyev

I hear what you’re saying but it simply isn’t getting through to the MG dealership in Weston-Super-Mars for whatever reason. Even when you state the service bulletin number AS-22-025 I was told that is a staff training bulletin and another forumite was told the same completely independently.

If @Miles Roberts CG could possibly shed some light if he is able or perhaps even post the actual Service Bulletin that would be great. I am mindful though that Miles shouldn’t really be the go to guy for the forum.

It is a little frustration but in the end we’ll get the bottom of it.

Hi @Lovemyev

I hear what you’re saying but it simply isn’t getting through to the MG dealership in Weston-Super-Mars for whatever reason. Even when you state the service bulletin number AS-22-025 I was told that is a staff training bulletin and another forumite was told the same completely independently.

If @Miles Roberts CG could possibly shed some light if he is able or perhaps even post the actual Service Bulletin that would be great. I am mindful though that Miles shouldn’t really be the go to guy for the forum.

I will pop to my dealer in the morning and see if they can clarify the issue.

Hi @Lovemyev

Oh dear. WSM will be my local dealership . . . That doesn't bode well. :(

Advice from my dealer is they would need the car to see what updates are needed on the car. It may be that the car has had any updates it’s need, or doesn’t need any depending on the software already in the car.

Jason, the dealer, is going to talk to his after sales team to get details on what the AS-22-025 service bulletin is about. This might take a day or two as they are very busy :)

My car is a very early car that came over with the first shipment, and certainly hasn’t seen the dealer since February when I got the car.

Cinderford MG - contact Jason Morgan.

It is a family run business.

I have not had any issues with Rapid Charging. I will mention that I ALWAYS let the car stop the charging process.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom