Can car be left unlocked with key inside?

Brodie

Standard Member
Reaction score
My work has secure parking so when it was frosty, 5 minutes before I was leaving, I would get the petrol car running to warm up and clear the windows. As there isn't a pre heat function on the ZS, I wondered if I left the key in the car so I can defrost it, would it then lock me out? I'm sure I can hear the doors lock moments after I start to drive. Only had it a couple of days. Is there a way round it? I know I can unlock the doors from inside with the button on the door but wondered if it would return to lock after a set time?

I do this on a cold morning in my locked garage (something I couldn’t do with an ICE), I pop out 10 minutes before I want to leave and start the car fully in Ready mode (foot on brake, key as running the climate from the 12V for 10 minutes could see you have 12V battery errors without the DC battery charging it up) and then leave the key in and set the climate to where I need it to be (and also turn on the heated seat if I’m feeling exceptionally chilly). It’s great to be able to get into a pre-warmed car, I used to have this in app form on my Leaf and e-Golf but come the depth of winter both systems seemed to fall over due to user demand so actually being able to do this manually is no bigger hassle. What I would say is that obviously at home I’m pretty secure in leaving the car running.

the auto door locks only engage once you hit a certain speed once the car is turned on.

You can take the key with you afther you have set the car on for defrosting. It will give a bong or three if it got the comfort update.

Yes you can take the keys out once you've started it and the doors only lock when you're moving at 15 mph.

I do this on a cold morning in my locked garage (something I couldn’t do with an ICE), I pop out 10 minutes before I want to leave and start the car fully in Ready mode (foot on brake, key as running the climate from the 12V for 10 minutes could see you have 12V battery errors without the DC battery charging it up) and then leave the key in and set the climate to where I need it to be (and also turn on the heated seat if I’m feeling exceptionally chilly). It’s great to be able to get into a pre-warmed car, I used to have this in app form on my Leaf and e-Golf but come the depth of winter both systems seemed to fall over due to user demand so actually being able to do this manually is no bigger hassle. What I would say is that obviously at home I’m pretty secure in leaving the car running.

the auto door locks only engage once you hit a certain speed once the car is turned on.
Thanks for that, appreciated 👍🏻

Even if the car would lock the doors, you can open them with the Emergency Key.

I don't understand why you can't lock the car with the fob when it's on. What is the rationale here?

Even if the car would lock the doors, you can open them with the Emergency Key.

I don't understand why you can't lock the car with the fob when it's on. What is the rationale here?

Probably to stop you locking it and walking away with it “running”, leaving it for hours and draining the battery.

All cars are like this, not just EV.

I wonder where the logic controlling this is. If it's the computer or if it's a circuit.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom