Can I use this 12V battery on my MG4?

GameZone

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I see most people use this 12 V on non EV. But this is what the the dealer recommended. The size is correct, but can anyone tell if this is suitable for the MG4?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it would but again, it's got a CCA. In your previous thread, "we" mentioned using a leisure type battery (no CCA) but heh ho, it's your choice.

I see must people use this 12v on non EV. But this is what the the dealer recommended. The size is correct, but can anyone tell if this is suitable for the MG4?

Almost any 12V battery will work - the one SAIC supply for UK cars is a very low end small ICE car battery.

A decent quality one will last longer, I expect that is what you have been recommended.

I guess it would but again, it's got a CCA. In your previous thread, "we" mentioned using a leisure type battery (no CCA) but heh ho, it's your choice.
What do you mean by leisure? The start stop battery especially recommended for ev?

Because I'm constantly getting 12v battery low and MG doesn't care.
If it is a faulty battery then this change should fix it. If it is the car not charging the battery you'll still get that problem.

Whst do you mean by leisure? The start stop battery especially recommended for ev?
Leisure batteries are designed for very deep cycles - so they last longest. But they are typically very expensive.

There's nothing wrong with not using a leisure battery - the supplied battery from MG is not a leisure battery.

Start/stop batteries are entirely different and not suitable, they are designed for the very high load of cranking over an ICE engine, which is irrelevant to an EV.

At the end of the day it depends what you want to spend.

Leisure batteries are designed for very deep cycles - so they last longest. But they are typically very expensive.

There's nothing wrong with not using a leisure battery - the supplied battery from MG is not a leisure battery.

Start/stop batteries are entirely different and not suitable, they are designed for the very high load of cranking over an ICE engine, which is irrelevant to an EV.

At the end of the day it depends what you want to spend.
Varta recommended the

AGM 560 901 06.​

It's start /stop and listed especially as EV ready.

Last edited:
Varta recommended the

AGM 560 901 06.​

It's start /stop and listed especially as EV ready.
It will work, like any 12V battery that will fit, but an EV will not take advantage of its design for start/stop cranking, and you are then spending a ton of money on something that you can't take proper advantage of, even if it will work.

Given your situation I'd try the battery your dealer recommended - it isn't expensive and it will tell you if the battery is the problem or something else.

It will work, like any 12V battery that will fit, but an EV will not take advantage of its design for start/stop cranking, and you are then spending a ton of money on something that you can't take proper advantage of, even if it will work.

Given your situation I'd try the battery your dealer recommended - it isn't expensive and it will tell you if the battery is the problem or something else.
It's also 60ah, not 43ah. Don't know of that makes any difference?

It's also 60ah, not 43ah. Don't know of that makes any difference?
That's the capacity of the battery - it isn't greatly relevant for EVs, because we don't tend to drain the battery heavily through cranking, we keep sipping from it and topping up - which is why the number of cycles the battery can do before it loses charge is a better predictor of lifespan.

That's the capacity of the battery - it isn't greatly relevant for EVs, because we don't tend to drain the battery heavily through cranking, we keep sipping from it and topping up - which is why the number of cycles the battery can do before it loses charge is a better predictor of lifespan.
Ok.. In other words the battery from Exide with the start/stop is something I should try, and isn't worse than the battery already installed from MG?

Ok.. In other words the battery from Exide with the start/stop is something I should try, and isn't worse than the battery already installed from MG?
Yes - I didn't notice it saying it was start/stop suitable, but yes it is highly likely to be of better quality than the MG battery and it doesn't cost the earth, so go for it is my recommendation.

It'll be better than the supplied battery and has 4 years guarantee as opposed to the 1 year for the one that came fitted.
According to the product page it doesn't have stop/start.

It'll be better than the supplied battery and has 4 years guarantee as opposed to the 1 year for the one that came fitted.
According to the product page it doesn't have stop/start.
I meant without stop/start :)

The battery Varta recommended has start/stop and higher capacity.

Yes - I didn't notice it saying it was start/stop suitable, but yes it is highly likely to be of better quality than the MG battery and it doesn't cost the earth, so go for it is my recommendation.
The exide isn't start/stop. I've been working night :)

The Varta is start stop and has higher capacity.

I meant without stop/start :)
Right.
The battery Varta recommended has start/stop and higher capacity.
Which is no benefit in an EV.

The exide isn't start/stop. I've been working night :)

The Varta is start stop and has higher capacity.
Understood! Maybe it will make more sense after some rest? 😊

Let's see if I can explain all of this to make it clearer....

12V ICE Batteries
For decades cars have had 12V systems to power everything on the car that is separate to the engine, including the lights, air conditioning, power windows, entertainment systems, seat heating etc....

These 12V systems consist of a 12V battery and an alternator. The alternator is driven by the engine and charges the 12V battery up, so it doesn't go flat. Without the engine running, the battery will drain, which is why leaving your lights on in an ICE car can lead rapidly to a flat battery.

These 12V batteries have to be able to physically crank over the combustion engine in order to start the car. The bigger the engine, the bigger (and more expensive) the 12V battery needed. In small city cars, the batteries are small, in large executive cars they are big.

This is where the phrase Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) comes from: what kind of battery do I need in order to be able to crank over my engine from cold so that the car always starts?

Start-Stop Batteries
More recently, Start/Stop became a thing with ICE engines able to switch off at the lights. This means needing to be able to crank the engine over much more often, maybe hundreds of times a day AND being able to do so quickly, so the driver isn't held up.

To handle this, 12V batteries became heavier and bigger (and more expensive) so that you can always depend on being able to supply the huge load to turn over an ICE engine instantly.

Leisure Batteries
With camper vans and recreational vehicles, there was a different problem to solve: how do I power my lights, fridge, radio, etc... when the engine is off? These vehicles have a second 12V battery which is not used to start the engine - this is referred to as the Leisure Battery.

Leisure batteries never have to crank an engine over, instead they provide a steady, much lower level of power over a longer period (e.g. evening or overnight). What they need is to last a long time, so that they can be discharged and recharged many many times.

This is what Leisure 12V batteries are designed to do well - they cannot crank over an engine, but they can supply power and discharge a lot and keep being charged up with a good lifespan.

EVs
In an EV, there are two batteries, the High Voltage (HV) battery, which runs the motor (driving the car) and powers high-output devices like the heater. Then there's a second battery, the 12V one, to power the ancillary systems just like in an ICE car.

However, the EV never needs to crank an engine over and the HV battery can top-up the 12V battery whenever it is needed, so what's the right battery to use?

Well, any 12V battery that will fit will work, so many manufacturers (like MG) just fit a cheap small ICE car battery to save money. But that doesn't mean it is ideal.

There's no benefit to using a Start/Stop battery, but Leisure Batteries are the most suitable for long life, so these are recommended.

I know they probably not as good quality as some of the ones you are looking at but if there is a problem with the 12V battery, will MG not cover the existing battery under warranty? If it is, a new 'free to you' battery is the best one in my eyes.

I know they probably not as good quality as some of the ones you are looking at but if there is a problem with the 12V battery, will MG not cover the existing battery under warranty? If it is, a new 'free to you' battery is the best one in my eyes.
They should do - though I expect the 12V battery has a short warranty period on it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back